#1 Sunshineinmyface

Sunshineinmyface

Wiki Queen

• Members
  • 10,092 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 21 January 2005 - 01:36 PM

Hello everyone,

I have quit before for years, then return to the butt. I now smoke American Spirit Ciggies. I found the rat poison, etc. in the reg ciggies was too much and went through withdrawl from not smoking the stuff.
After watching the tobacco trials I could not believe what those F'ers put in the ciggies to make them burn fast, to get you double addicted, to disguise low quality tobbaco, unbelieveable .... and they are liers.... they got away with murder on those settlements. I believe the jury that sat for months here in Minnesota would have wiped them out. A couple of the juror lost their house, business, bankruptcy and still the judge, an ass, would not let them off the jury. But, the jury was attentive, and anyone who was not an idiot like the tobacco heads, could see the tobacco heads were lying.

Now Minnesota, instead of using the settlement money for helping people quit smoking, which was the basis of their accepting the settlement and some behind the scenes deal to save the tobacco companies from going under, has used the Minnesota settlement for budget deficit. Bad Bad legislators and governors.

Does anyone feel like sharing their experience of successful quitting the butt? I have tried to lessen the # I smoke and that seemed to work a few times. I can no longer exercise, like I use to because of the pain, which did help a lot. Hopefully the pain will end someday soon and I can get back my shape and exercise.

Any tips would be gratefully welcome....thanks for your time.

Sunshine (with a ciggie in my hand like Alanis says)

#2 Sasha

Sasha
  • Members
  • 525 posts
  • Interests:Not from or in Ireland....just dreaming of it

Posted 31 January 2005 - 02:51 PM

I still smoke.....

Hope you're successfull at beating the butt!
:cross:
Mindy

#3 Jellycat

Jellycat
  • Members
  • 1,232 posts
  • Interests:tuna pizza<br />walks<br />music

Posted 17 February 2005 - 01:29 PM

Hello sunshine

I read that identiifying certain times you usually light up,say, first thing in the morning after a meal, before something stressful, after something stressful etc etc ..and then trying to substitute something like sugar free gum can help.

or else getting rid of all those ciggies, lighters, ash trays..so youre not reminded of it... because they act as triggers and cause craving again.

I have a packet of nicotine gum in my bathroom cabinet ..but its expired..im tempted to give it a go again..it sounds a good idea because you just get the nicotine fix and not all the nasty stuff you find in cigs.

good luck!

Jellyxx le chat qui fume

#4 hhlomaxx

hhlomaxx
  • Members
  • 6,417 posts
  • Interests:Cooking Sports my family

Posted 20 March 2005 - 04:19 PM

I stopped smoking in 1979 - Ironically enough while working for Lorillard Tobacco. Just started again these past few months. I guess its a replacement for overeating. Because of recent health problems this probably was not the best decision. Trying to get the guts up to quit again.....

Hal

#5 jillie

jillie

Sunbeam

• Root Admin
  • 14,074 posts
  • Flag:
  • Interests:This is it!

Posted 20 March 2005 - 04:33 PM

Ugh....smoking....

I started smoking at 17, and have been an on and off smoker ever since. Gave up for pregnancies, and at other times too. But regularly fall off the wagon...I just love smoking... :oops:

The last time I gave it up was 5 years ago. When on the NYC meet with Sheila did bum cigs off of her though....about a couple a day? Have not smoked again since, though if I get drunk at the next BtB meet I prolly will beg cigs and have a few more.

*sigh* I always think of myself as a smoker who is currently stopped....lol cos I can puff on one after a couple of years without and still enjoy it....

love Jillie xxxxxxx

#6 Jellycat

Jellycat
  • Members
  • 1,232 posts
  • Interests:tuna pizza<br />walks<br />music

Posted 21 March 2005 - 11:08 AM

mm.. alcohol and ciggies def go together...they enhance each others effects apparantly. The ciggies raise your mood, then the drink depresses it and so on and so on..

Not even standing outside when it was -25 deg managed to stop me

Its hard to quit with out a doubt, especailly in smoky german cafes, and with advertising hoardings everywhere and cig machines on every corner. If I go without for a few hours all I see are people smoking..its agony

:shock:

#7 Sunshineinmyface

Sunshineinmyface

Wiki Queen

• Members
  • 10,092 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 December 2008 - 04:27 PM

~bump~

#8 RWigram

RWigram
  • Members
  • 1,435 posts
  • Flag:
  • Interests:Scrabble-History-Reading-Baseball-Football

Posted 14 December 2008 - 07:40 PM

...I just love smoking...

See Jillie, that's my problem too. And I can quit for a while, but when I get down, I can't think of a single reason for quitting.

#9 hhlomaxx

hhlomaxx
  • Members
  • 6,417 posts
  • Interests:Cooking Sports my family

Posted 15 December 2008 - 01:42 AM

Follow up on my post. In late April I had a scare with my heart. I had what is know as atrial fibrilation, a condition that will almost likely lead to a heart attack. I(t really scared me. I have not smoked a cigarette since. Now if I can only loose 15 lbs. I will be ok...

Hal

#10 Sunshineinmyface

Sunshineinmyface

Wiki Queen

• Members
  • 10,092 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 15 December 2008 - 01:51 AM

Congratulations on quiting Hal :bighug: :bighug:

#11 winter

winter
  • Members
  • 1,216 posts
  • Flag:
  • Interests:i like people to send me money.
    I know this will never happen
    but i figured it was worth a try

Posted 14 July 2009 - 12:17 AM

when i drink i dont smoke, because i am weird

#12 Trincypris12

Trincypris12
  • Members
  • 2 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 08 July 2010 - 10:47 AM

ways to quit smoking

Stop Smoking Aids

Do not depend on aids. Be a complete man. Do not depend on stretchers. Aids are no less than stretchers. Avoid general smoking aids like patches and nasal sprays. Avoid chewing gum also. It is also a smoking aid. Nicotine patches are designed to deliver small quantities of nicotine in your bloodstream. This method is nothing but a satisfaction of nicotine craving. The only fact is that there is absence of dangerous tars and poisonous gases which are found in the cigarettes. This is a convenient method to reduce cravings. Unfortunately there is a slight twist in the use of NRT based aids. The user of NRT based aids may become addicted to the aid, itself

Hypnotherapy

This method is moderately effective in giving up smoking. The smoker, willingly subjects him or herself to a hypnosis session. The therapist by the method of auto suggestion makes the smoker get the will power to quit smoking.

Alternative therapies

There are a number of alternate therapies which help smokers give up cigarettes. These are very important and useful therapies and help the smoker to control Nicotine craving. Examples of such therapies are Aromatherapy, acupuncture, acupressure and meditation.

Will power
There is nothing like good old fashioned will power to control smoking. Will power is nothing but a state of mind. It is in fact very difficult to implement this state of mind. People of low will power find it difficult to quit smoking.

Counseling
You need to boost will power many a times. You definitely need counseling under such conditions. Counseling is extremely important for behavioral support. It is important that you have one to one counseling sessions. You also need to attend group meeting of experts and like minded people. Some private, government and charitable organizations support the idea of counseling.

Medication

There are certain medications that are available only on a doctor’s prescription. These are drugs which are either sedatives or relaxants and help in controlling and calming the nerves. Doctors can prescribe such drugs either on an SOS basis or on a regular basis.

drug rehab

#13 winter

winter
  • Members
  • 1,216 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 09 November 2010 - 05:17 PM

ah mr Will Power i met him once we didnt get on

#14 Ed the chow hound

Ed the chow hound
  • Members
  • 6,338 posts
  • Flag:
  • Interests:depression support, food, friends, dogs, astrology, physics, cosmology, history,

Posted 28 December 2010 - 01:44 PM

Hi all,

As an ex smoker of 28 years duration could I add a few ideas on the subject of quitting.
I have a lot of friends who have tried many times to quit but just cant do it. I dont think stopping smoking is a moral issue or a character issue but rather a brain chemistry issue.

For some of us our brain chemistry makes it easier to quit smoking and for other it makes it harder to quit. I feel that under extreme stress that I could easily take up the habit again. Lets not judge ourselves to harshly. If you cant quit then cut down as much as you can.

love ya

Ed the chow hound

#15 winter

winter
  • Members
  • 1,216 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 19 April 2011 - 12:00 AM

For some of us our brain chemistry makes it easier to quit smoking and for other it makes it harder to quit. I feel that under extreme stress that I could easily take up the habit again. Lets not judge ourselves to harshly. If you cant quit then cut down as much as you can.

Yoda has a good point there