• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 beatingtheblues

beatingtheblues
  • Members
  • 12 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 19 December 2014 - 05:28 AM

I'm not sure this is the correct spot to post this, but it seems like the best choice.

Do you know how it's so difficult to explain depression to someone who hasn't truly experienced it? Well, this comes from a silly source, but it resonated with me, so I wanted to share. On the TV show "Once Upon A Time," (lots of fairy tale characters mingling around in present-day USA), Anna and Elsa from "Frozen" make appearances this season. At one point, a spell (the Spell of Shattered Sight) is placed upon Anna. This spell causes you to see nothing but the worst in those closest to you -- no matter how much you love them or they love you, or how well you have treated each other all your lives. Anna immediately goes to Elsa and begins berating her for leaving her alone to wander the castle for so many years, accusing her of making her feel as if she had done something wrong, etc. As I was watching, I thought, "That's how I feel about people close to me when I'm depressed!" And I just think that it may be a really simple example to share with someone who is trying to understand at least this aspect of depression. (For her part, Elsa is completely perplexed and even says, "Anna, this isn't you. It can't be!" until she discovers a spell has been cast. I'm sure a lot of loved ones feel the same way when a loved one starts showing certain signs of depression.) I feel like I'm not being as articulate as I could be here, but hopefully this is helpful to one or more of you.

I don't have a link, but you can google "Anna traps Elsa in the urn" and a YouTube video of that particular clip from the show should appear.

#2 Jeff91

Jeff91
  • Members
  • 26 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 24 February 2015 - 05:24 AM

Thanks for sharing, gonna check out the link.