• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 chas

chas
  • Members
  • 1 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 12 November 2014 - 09:55 AM

Hi people, I'm 40, from small town Iowa, and married with 3 young children,ages 2,4, and 6. I was first diagnosed with major depression in college many years ago. I'm sure that I had cycled through several waves of depression before that but in my eary 20's it got really bad and I was drinking up a storm to try and have some illusion of fun and happiness.  I finally sought counceling through the university and took some meds for a year or so. The meds really helped, the counceling was a huge strugle for me, i'm not much of a talker.  Since then I've gone through 2 or 3 more cycles of depression on my own.  Lately I've noticed a major lack of motivation and pleasure in most things along with growing irritability with the minor details and feeling of negativity with most everything.  One odd thing about me is throughout depression I have always been very good and isolating my work life from beeing too effected by the moods and problems I face in the rest of my life.  I joined here to write the things I cannot speak and work through my issues and get feed back and support from you all and well as read your stories and offer helpfull comment and support to you.

thanks for reading.  I'll see you  in the forums.

#2 invisiblebutterfly

invisiblebutterfly
  • Members
  • 5 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 18 November 2014 - 12:09 AM

I have also been able to isolate my depression from work and am usually able to function without people knowing, I think I can hide it pretty well.  I don't know if this is common or not but if it is, it makes you wonder how many more people are out there suffering as we are. It's unfortunate that depression has such a social stigma that makes us want to hide it from others.  Take care and best of luck to you.

Marie