2 replies to this topic

#1 Mconsidered

Mconsidered
  • Members
  • 1 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 20 September 2014 - 08:04 PM

Hi,

I have struggled with varying degrees of depression (and manic depression/bipolar) before I was a teen. My mother was a very dominant figure in my house and she suffers severe depression to this day, however this is a topic that we never discussed as a family. The violent outbursts and suicide attempts were simply brushed under the carpet. After years of trying to cope with this myself, I have found myaelf slipping back into a depressed state. That familiar feeling of lethargy, not wanting to do anything but sleep...I have decided to finally reach out for help and I am wondering if going to a support group would help me. Has anyone here had experience with such groups? Did they help in any way?

Thanks
M

#2 Kash

Kash
  • Members
  • 2 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 28 September 2014 - 07:13 PM

Whether a support group helps or not is really individualized. The statistics tend to show that support groups help.

But, that aside...

Support groups helped me a great deal. I found it helpful to know that I wasn't the only person in the situation I was in. I looked forward to my support group times, and I thought just that alone, just having something positive to look forward to, helped me a great deal. Getting really practical advice on how to deal with situations was very valuable, or, I thought it was. And knowing there was someone to fall back on for advice and support, that there was someone there that would help, also helped me a great deal.

After a while, as I grew stronger, I found being able to help others helped me a great deal. That's when I reallly learned about myself and situation, and really grew a LOT!

One other thing that affects (?) whether a support group helps or not is the makeup of the group. Whether you "click" with that group or not makes a big difference. Back in the 1970's, I went to AA meetings. There were some groups that I got nothing out of and two that really helped me. The two that helped me were there for me and I was there for them. I think it was a question of who was in the group that determined whether it helped or not.

#3 Marvin42

Marvin42
  • Members
  • 240 posts
  • Interests:Staying alive

Posted 19 October 2014 - 09:39 PM

Echo the above.  My sympathies for having a controlling mother - my wife was that way with our kids, and believe it didn't help them to respect her now they are adults.  The right group can be a real help - it all depends who's there.  Some years ago this forum saved my life, I got such understanding from the folks here. I only experienced a support group just after my discharge from mental hospital, it helped me but there were others in the group who were not helped at all.  I think you should try anything that might help, but if it doesn't, find something else.  Only you can tell.  Best wishes,

Marvin