1 reply to this topic

#1 kenp94

kenp94
  • Members
  • 1 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 September 2014 - 11:19 PM

Hi all,

I'm a 46 year old married man with one 22 year old daughter.  I live in Northern Kentucky and work for a small electric motor repair / sales company as a network administrator and inventory control clerk.

I was diagnosed with Bipolar II in 1989 and am currently taking medication.

I looked for a forum about depression after having a couple of really bad days yesterday and last Friday.

My depression, I'm sure is biological, but also fueled by my daughter's struggles being hearing impaired, just being suspended from college due to her failing grades, as well as our financial struggles and my wife's medical problems.

I have always suffered from social anxiety and don't talk to to many people in my every day life.

On a more positive note, I enjoy frisbee (disc) golf, reading spiritual books, exploring / driving around with my wife, and I am a Cincinnati Bengals (american football) fan.

I hope to find support as well as be supportive of people on this forum.

Ken 

#2 fiona

fiona
  • Members
  • 149 posts
  • Flag:
  • Interests:world music, poetry, all creative arts

Posted 28 September 2014 - 01:43 PM

KenP -

Sounds like you have some challenges in your life but you've still got some positives in there so that is a great thing.  All we can do is fight the beast.  What's really sad is when you give up totally....which it sounds as if you're not in that kind of head space at the moment anyway.  So give yourself credit, my friend!  Being down is only natural when you're surrounded with issues....health, finances, daughter coming of age and not quite making it.....  You can only help your family so much and then you have to look at yourself.  You can only give when you've got the energy to go the extra mile and it's easy to get tired and feel hopeless if putting forth all that effort isn't yielding results.  

You mentioned your have some social anxieties but maybe there is one good friend you can get out the door with away from the whole picture to just have some time on a weekend.  Maybe there's a Bengals game, maybe there's a trail to hike.  Just get yourself up and out for a break so you can come back a bit refreshed.  

That's my advice anyway.

There are a lot of different perspectives on this board.  Reading through the posts I'm sure you will understand that you are not in this alone.  

Hang in there,

Fiona