• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 BlackDog

BlackDog
  • Members
  • 1 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 20 June 2014 - 05:00 AM

So this is my first post. I'm not really sure how this works or if anyone will even see this, but I'll write it anyway. I just wanted to know if anyone else ever feels an overwhelming sense of impending doom. Often times I feel as though the world is going to end, or that something terrible is going to happen, something that will affect all of humanity. Or other times I feel as though the universe is trying to tell me that I am meant to do something. It's difficult to describe so please forgive me for stumbling through this. It's almost always in the back of my mind, but there are times when the feeling is stronger than at other times. All through out the day I'll feel slow and slugish, and I feel as though I know something that no one else does. It feels like something supernatural is trying to tell the world something, and I'm the only one who can hear it. I feel detached from reality, like I'm in a dream or trapped inside a trippy movie. It's so weird. 

Can anyone relate?

#2 beatingtheblues

beatingtheblues
  • Members
  • 12 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 27 June 2014 - 05:33 AM

I can't say I've experienced the exact same thing you have, but I do remember that around 2000-2001, I would have moments of ABSOLUTE dread, which had never happened to me before or since. There were no outside factors to connect them to. (good job, good health, good living conditions, family members were well, no major life changes, etc.)  I don't think it happened often, just once in awhile. It didn't happen enough to concern me greatly for any length of time. Then 9/11 occurred. I remember I had those "episodes" afterward, but only one or two strong ones, and then they started to dissipate. I also went into a bad depression that lasted well over a year after 9/11. (I didn't have a personal connection to anyone in that tragedy, but I think it just caused me to think about how little I had accomplished in my life at that point, when I was nearing 40.) Anyway, I've often wondered if I had some psychic link to the national event, but more likely I was heading into a depression anyway, and I guess my subconscious was somehow letting me know that something was terribly wrong.

Don't know if this helps, but maybe it will give you a line of thinking to explore.

#3 jillie

jillie

Sunbeam

• Root Admin
  • 14,074 posts
  • Flag:
  • Interests:This is it!

Posted 28 June 2014 - 09:54 AM

Hello BlackDog and welcome to Beating the Beast.

I don't know if you have a diagnosis, but have you considered that depression itself is very often accompanied by other unwelcome friends, in this case it sounds like anxiety. I know that feeling of unspecified dread from my own experiences with depression. At first I thought it wasn't anxiety, because I thought you had to have panic attacks or worry endlessly about things to 'qualify', but I finally realised that that was what it was.

Also, of course, when you are depressed your perception of reality itself is very often warped. You watch the news and all you see are the bad things, the good stuff that goes on doesn't seem to penetrate to balance the other side of the scales. I was certainly convinced that 'normal' people were living in a fools' paradise. That detached feeling often goes along with depression too - like you are watching someone else lead your life. You wear a mask the whole day.

Have you talked to anyone about how you are feeling? I know it can be very difficult to explain your feelings to someone, but you have managed to do it very well here, and it would certainly seem to me that you are showing some classic signs of depression and anxiety. You could always print out and take along your post to give to your doctor if you find it too difficult to talk about. 

I know from my own experience that I had to recognise and accept my depression before I could move on and start to do something about it. There is help out there, and many many members of this forum will tell you that life doesn't have to be such a struggle, you can come out the other side.

Keep posting! I found writing about it helped a great deal.

love Jillie x