5 replies to this topic

#1 Aine

Aine
  • Members
  • 383 posts
  • Flag:
  • Interests:The world!

Posted 12 August 2012 - 06:13 PM

Lately I'm feeling very anxious about a wide range of things. I don't want to bog this post down with too many details but school is at the top of my list .I'll be applying to graduate programs in the fall, and everything about the entire process, even after I (possibly) get accepted somewhere, is nerve wracking and never seems to end. Socially I'm going through difficulties with my friends and family, and just containing my emotions so I don't make it worse is only feeding my anxiety. I'm scared for the future, what if I'm a failure? What if I never reach my goals? What if my dreams never come true, was it my fault or was I shooting for something too great? Right now I feel like I'm drowning :drown:

#2 Ed the chow hound

Ed the chow hound
  • Members
  • 6,338 posts
  • Flag:
  • Interests:depression support, food, friends, dogs, astrology, physics, cosmology, history,

Posted 28 August 2012 - 11:13 PM

Aine,

I have suffered general anxiety all my life and at school and college it was dreadful but I passed well, I think free floating anxiety has its origins in childhood and we carry these fears over into adult life at a subconscious level. Sometime I feel scared for no reason I can think of at all. The real dangers in my life seldom worry me much it the imaginary ones floating in my sub conscious mind that turn my gust to water. I have nearly died more than twenty times but death is not one of my greatest fears.

love ya

Ed the chow hound

Edited by Ed the chow hound, 28 August 2012 - 11:14 PM.

#3 alice123

alice123
  • Members
  • 2 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 18 August 2013 - 05:00 PM

Aine, I know how you feel, it's so hard to get by with the feelings of fear, of not knowing what's coming. I too, feel lost and terribly afraid of what's coming, I'm currently going through some hard situations in life and I wonder will these things go away?  What if these feelings never go away?...I guess the thing left to do is get on day by day.

Blesses for you. 

#4 fiona

fiona
  • Members
  • 149 posts
  • Flag:
  • Interests:world music, poetry, all creative arts

Posted 23 August 2013 - 03:42 PM

Aine -

I very much agree with Ed that these things are built up over the years and are stored way deep in the unconscious in places that even professionals can't reach. There is a lot of power in that and it's nothing you can control.  

I remember grad school....crying a lot, slobbering away about the impossible assignments to my friends and counselors, feeling very owerwhelmed.  But somehow I got through it.  If you don't get through it, you just move on to something else.  It's always a good idea to have a "Plan B" in your back pocket.

The best I'd say you can do for anxiety is try to hang on enough until it passes, then move on and never look back.  A short term fix is just trying to talk it out.

Regards,

Fiona

#5 Ed the chow hound

Ed the chow hound
  • Members
  • 6,338 posts
  • Flag:
  • Interests:depression support, food, friends, dogs, astrology, physics, cosmology, history,

Posted 24 August 2013 - 01:00 AM

Fiona,

Its a good idea to figure how we come out of any situation before we go in. We always need a plan B that is rehersed and ready to action.

hugs

Ed the chow hound

#6 Patski

Patski
  • Members
  • 10 posts
  • Flag:
  • Interests:Music, writing, poetry..
    Really any sort of creative outlet or art.

Posted 21 September 2013 - 04:42 AM

Aine-
I understand where you're coming from. I've recently had to pile a lot onto my life's plate, and it's been extremely difficult for me to cope with.
My best advice to you, is to try and breath. Take it one day at a time. And something that helps me is to keep a journal. Just a one page entry every day.
Write down your mood, how you handled things throughout the day, maybe jot down a few different way you could handle or think about things.
But most importantly, start every entry with three things you are thankful for. Seeing that on the top of every page can sometimes help remind you that there is some good still, and quell that feeling of drowning.
Stay strong, and I wish you the best of luck.
Sincerely,
Patski