Photo

Bipolar II meds Lamotrigine and Buproprion (zyban/Wellbutin)

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 tinker

tinker
  • Members
  • 195 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 November 2011 - 08:50 PM

I would appreciate any comments/information from those with experiences of any of the above meds (either alone or in combination) and for what condition they were prescribed them for.

For a fairly recent re diagnosis of bipolar II I am currently taking 400mg Lamotrigine (possibly also called Lamactil??) and last week added 150mg Bupropion Modified Release (Zyban/Wellbutrin) (after tapering of from an ineffective dose of 225mg venlafaxine (effexor XL).

All comments welcomed.

Thanks

Leigh

#2 drgnfly

drgnfly
  • Members
  • 901 posts
  • Flag:
  • Interests:Art, Books, Sleeping

Posted 14 November 2011 - 10:54 PM

Hi Leigh, I am also on lamictal. I take 225mg in the morning and 650mg trileptal before bed. I'm not 100% and still have some swinging, but this combo has kept me more sane than most. I've been on this for quite a while, have had to up the dosage a few times when I start getting too up or down. The combo of lamictal with an anti depressant did not work well for me but we all respond differently to the different combos. Just watch for any worsening symptoms and call the doc if you think it's not working. I hope you have as good of results with lamictal that I've had!

<3 Sabrina

#3 tinker

tinker
  • Members
  • 195 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 29 November 2011 - 10:15 PM

Hi Sabrina,

Apologies for the late reply...I really thought that I already had.

Well I had a swift turn around a week yesterday. As always just like a switch and the depression and all accompanied with it vanishes. It is still difficult to know what causes these turnarounds, meds, me, time or a combo of some/all of these. It could well be that the addition of this different somewhat unique class of anti d helped as I had been on it for almost 3wks.

I think that I may well be hypo tho but at the moment I don't care.

Glad you currently have a combo that is keeping you saner.

Take Care and thanks again

Leigh

#4 kewy13

kewy13
  • Members
  • 3,119 posts
  • Flag:
  • Interests:used to be hiking, packing, skiing, anything outdoors. am woking back toward that as i get healthier.

i attend buddhist meditation at a temple nearby.

yoga, bicycling, kayaking, camping, exfoliating, making jewelry, being outdoors.

Posted 01 December 2011 - 08:42 AM

i had a very bad reaction to effexor. it made me so ill and in a very short time affected some of my organ function. most people dont bhave that happen tho. lamictal didnt work for me.

and i know i always enjoy the up in mania, hope it stays temperate with your new meds!