9 replies to this topic

#1 drgnfly

drgnfly
  • Members
  • 901 posts
  • Flag:
  • Interests:Art, Books, Sleeping

Posted 02 August 2011 - 09:08 PM

I've been reading about our diets and how it can affect mental illnesses. I know that I need to cut out caffeine because it can make the cycling worse, but I was wondering if any of you have had any other experiences. I'm reading that avoiding processed foods can help. Any suggestions?

On another note, I read something the other day that I really liked. It was a story about a guy who had bipolar. He said he would never say he was bipolar, but that he had bipolar. 'It's not who I am, I'm still me' he said. I liked the sound of it. Someone with diabetes wouldn't say 'I am diabetes'. I'm trying to remember that when I talk about my illness.

#2 Hangingon

Hangingon

Resident nerd & geeky person

• Root Admin
  • 21,570 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 August 2011 - 12:14 AM

Artificial sweeteners...... I stay away from them, they seem to trip me off.

On another note, I read something the other day that I really liked. It was a story about a guy who had bipolar. He said he would never say he was bipolar, but that he had bipolar. 'It's not who I am, I'm still me' he said. I liked the sound of it. Someone with diabetes wouldn't say 'I am diabetes'. I'm trying to remember that when I talk about my illness.

I like that!!!! :D

#3 drgnfly

drgnfly
  • Members
  • 901 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 05 August 2011 - 12:17 PM

I'll have to take a break from them and see if that helps. I bet I eat a ton of it everyday with diet soda and low fat cookies and all. ( if they are low fat I seem to think I can eat more...)

Thank you! :)

#4 Hangingon

Hangingon

• Root Admin
  • 21,570 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 05 August 2011 - 07:25 PM

( if they are low fat I seem to think I can eat more...)

Heh, you mean we're not supposed to eat more???? :P I do the same thing!

#5 drgnfly

drgnfly
  • Members
  • 901 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 05 August 2011 - 08:08 PM

And if you drink diet soda with cookies, they cancel each other out :lol:

#6 Hangingon

Hangingon

• Root Admin
  • 21,570 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 05 August 2011 - 09:29 PM

LMFAO, need to switch to diet soda then!

http://www.dietjokes...k/jokes/069.php

#7 NJCat

NJCat
  • Members
  • 3,114 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 08 August 2011 - 11:07 PM

I am NOT here to promote anything. I had in the past followed a 'way of eating' written by a medical doctor who is growing in popularity somewhat (you'll find his name/chart in wholefoods here in the US, and he was in the movie "http://www.fatsickan...earlydead.com/"

So .... here's a newsletter from the doctor, Dr. Fuhrman, about diet and "mood disorders".
It's in pdf format, you can download adobe reader from adobe.com to read pdf files if you don't have already.

Take what you want from it. :)
He's VERY strict. His whole theory / motivation is to make people healthy naturally instead of popping pills.

Now, I pop pills. I'd rather not. I'm not following his eating plan now, but I did for a while. I wasn't monitoring my mood at the time, so ....

well he does promote his own stuff too. However fish oil pills (if you aren't vegetarian) have many many benefits and among them is that they are good for the brain. :) I've also seen improvement in my skin. I also forget to take them alot! :)

It's attached. enjoy.Attached File  fuhrmanNewsletter24-2006.pdf   70.94KB   7 downloads

PS there's recipes for healthy desserts at the end.

Please don't be offended by his "no meds" stance. Unless you know his "full" story he comes off different than what you read sometimes.
He doesn't want you to dump your meds now. But he's one of the only doctors I know that would love a healthy, med-free population.

He has gotten SOME patients to get off their diabetes meds by following his VERY strict plan within time.
He's had people lower their cholesterol in record time.

People just don't eat right here in the USA. So alot is preventable by diet and that's his "stance". However, "beastly" problems :) are different.

Edited by NJCat, 08 August 2011 - 11:08 PM.

#8 drgnfly

drgnfly
  • Members
  • 901 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 09 August 2011 - 03:00 PM

Thank you for the information! It would be so nice to be able to completely control the symptoms without meds. Although I think that goal is a little extreme, I agree that diet can make a big difference in how we feel. I have been a vegetarian but am starting to eat some fish for the omega 3s. Fish oil pills are a good idea. The thought of them are disgusting!! but worth it if it helps.

I appreciate all of the information!! But dangit, I'm going to miss eating junk food all day. :P

#9 mopeymonique

mopeymonique
  • Members
  • 28 posts
  • Flag:
  • Interests:none at the moment.........but I use to like camping, boating, music, traveling, horses, reading

Posted 09 August 2011 - 09:39 PM

I found FAA (Food Addicts Anonymous) a 12-step program where you don't eat Sugar, Wheat or Flour and stay away from artificial sweetners and caffeine. It works amazingly well on lifting mood and depression. I lost 40 lbs on it and was never hungry. The food plan is restrictive but it is amazing how well it works getting rid of cravings and binging when you cut out S/W/F. You can go to their website to find out more about the food plan and read the online forum for inspiration.

http://www.foodaddictsanonymous.org

#10 drgnfly

drgnfly
  • Members
  • 901 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 09 August 2011 - 10:56 PM

Thanks monique! It's great to see that you've had good results with the program, I'll read it and try it out. Losing weight is always an added bonus!