• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 Armygirl

Armygirl
  • Members
  • 1,236 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 19 June 2011 - 02:02 AM

I went to town today and ran into someone who works for the school I'm hoping to get into in the fall. She said there were 78 applicants for RN school and only 30 would be accepted, and to think hard about what I would say during my interview, which is next Thursday...that means 48 people will get a denial letter....

That means I've got less than a fifty percent chance of getting in...I gave up my home and most of my personal belongings, and have been sleeping on a twin bed in dad's living room for the past month to save money for school, not to mention going through a pretty strained personal relationship with dad over the past month for a slim chance to attend this school...

things seem pretty bleak now, and my head is spinning trying to come up with a plan "B" for me and the girls in case I don't get in..

I don't know why I can't seem to catch a break, for once I'd like to be one of those people for whom thinks just seem to fall into place nicely without a disaster of some sorts....

ang

#2 FuzzyFuture

FuzzyFuture
  • Members
  • 1,469 posts

Posted 20 June 2011 - 02:12 AM

somewhat better than 1/3 chance isn't great but don't assume the worst yet. I don't know what they look for at admissions interviews, but i imagine they'd want to hear what being an RN would do for you, what you'd do for others, and what you'd bring to the school. You'd be bringing some real life experience unlike that of many of the other applicants, I assume, and they might like that.

Best of luck!!

FF

#3 jillie

jillie

Sunbeam

• Root Admin
  • 14,074 posts
  • Flag:
  • Interests:This is it!

Posted 21 June 2011 - 08:27 PM

((((Ang)))))

I reckon you have some advantages over others, so don't give up. As Fuzzy said, you have life experience, among other things. Some of those applicants will drop out even before the interview stage as they change their plans, and I would imagine you are a strong candidate. Hang on in there, and don't thinkt he worst!

love Jillie xxxx

#4 Armygirl

Armygirl
  • Members
  • 1,236 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 28 June 2011 - 12:38 AM

((((((((((((Fuzzy, Jillie)))))))),

I had my interview last thursday, stressful day as I had to evacuate the night before because of a wildfire. I gathered the girls up and we spent the night in a rather shitty hotel room, but we were all safe. All the applicants showed up, the school managed to squeeze me in for an interview that day, they "hooked" me up, so I got a little bit more time for my interview than most applicants got. I tried to sell myself the best I could, and felt pretty good about it...I figure, I did the best I could, even if I don't get in..I tried my best..

The official letters of acceptance/denial come out next week, but I'm gonna call on Friday, and see...I'm making plans to go apartment shopping two weeks from now if I don't get in...

kind of hard place right now, I gave up everything for this opportunity, and yet I may be starting over from scratch yet again...

so we will see in a week, it can't come soon enough...

ang

#5 kewy13

kewy13
  • Members
  • 3,119 posts
  • Flag:
  • Interests:used to be hiking, packing, skiing, anything outdoors. am woking back toward that as i get healthier.

i attend buddhist meditation at a temple nearby.

yoga, bicycling, kayaking, camping, exfoliating, making jewelry, being outdoors.

Posted 02 July 2011 - 08:41 AM

Posted Image

love you ang

#6 Hangingon

Hangingon

Resident nerd & geeky person

• Root Admin
  • 21,583 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 July 2011 - 12:23 PM

(((Ang)))

Fingers crossed for you that this all works out. One way or the other, I am certain that it will but I really hope you get in!!!

Keep us updated, will keep everything crossed for you.

Love

Sheila :?:

#7 Armygirl

Armygirl
  • Members
  • 1,236 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 July 2011 - 07:40 AM

Woohoo, I got the acceptance letter in today, a huge sigh of relief, now the real work begins!!!!Damn, I feel like I flew by the seat of my pants on this one as 78 people put in for 30 available slots......I just pray I have got what it takes to make it through the next year....

ang

#8 Hangingon

Hangingon

Resident nerd & geeky person

• Root Admin
  • 21,583 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 July 2011 - 11:38 AM

Yay!!!

Way to go Ang!!1 I am so happy for you! I believe in you.

Love

Sheila

#9 jillie

jillie

Sunbeam

• Root Admin
  • 14,074 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 July 2011 - 08:23 PM

Well done Ang, that is quite an achievement. :D

No way do I believe that it was seat of the pants, sweetie, you are GOOD that is why they chose you! I struggle too with the feeling of being some kind of impostor, but the fact is I am good at my job, even though I find it almost impossible to believe, and I think you are the same.

Take the time to give yourself kudos here. You got to this point through your own achievements, and pause and allow yourself to feel proud, because we are all proud of you!

love Jillie xxxx

#10 Armygirl

Armygirl
  • Members
  • 1,236 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 06 July 2011 - 11:07 PM

Thanks guys!!! I dropped off the acceptance letter today, and was floored to find out that they narrowed down the field of 30 from 78 from 338 applicants..I thought it was just 78 all along...damn 338 is alot...it hasn't hit me yet, but its beginning to...I will never be good enough in my eyes...but as my luck goes nothing comes easy...it's going to be a struggle to pay for this school, and even though I have moved back home with dad, I have enough to pay for the first semester saved up, the second is still up in the air depending on how much financial aid I get...so we will see...my mind says financially it's not do-able...but this is literally a once in a lifetime opportunity, so I'm going to go for it, and I'm going to worry about it a semester at a time, take a leap of faith and hope like hell I can earn a scholarship to cover the second semester...

It's going to be a long year and a long battle...I haven't started yet and I already feel worn out...gotta get my shit together soon...

ang

#11 kewy13

kewy13
  • Members
  • 3,119 posts
  • Flag:
  • Interests:used to be hiking, packing, skiing, anything outdoors. am woking back toward that as i get healthier.

yoga, bicycling, kayaking, camping, exfoliating, making jewelry, being outdoors.

Posted 08 July 2011 - 05:22 AM

YAY!!:?:

you will get it together. look at all you have gone thru recently/last few yrs. so many changes and moves and steps ahead. seriously. i see you as always moving forward! you can do it girl!

Edited by kewy13, 08 July 2011 - 05:23 AM.

#12 Ed the chow hound

Ed the chow hound
  • Members
  • 6,338 posts
  • Flag:
  • Interests:depression support, food, friends, dogs, astrology, physics, cosmology, history,

Posted 16 July 2011 - 01:20 PM

Hi Ang,

Sending you warm supportive hugs through cyber space to help you kick the beasts ass.

love ya gal

Ed the chow hound

#13 Armygirl

Armygirl
  • Members
  • 1,236 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 29 October 2011 - 03:20 AM

Almost a third of a way throught the first semester....it's been a B*tch so far!!!!! I'm in survival mode, trying to keep my mouth shut...had a scare about two weeks ago, as I opened my mouth and shared my opinions....and as a result I had to meet with "the Big Boss", and defended myself well....it worked out ok for now....still striving to graduate at the top of the class!!!!

ang

#14 FuzzyFuture

FuzzyFuture
  • Members
  • 1,469 posts

Posted 30 October 2011 - 02:48 PM

hang in there! and congrats on your progress so far in the school!

FF

#15 jillie

jillie

Sunbeam

• Root Admin
  • 14,074 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 30 October 2011 - 06:00 PM

Congrats Ang, sounds like you are doing well. Just one proviso, wanting to be top of class is a great ambition, but please don't fall into that black and white thinking - 1st = great; 2nd = worthless! By all means go for it, but don't make it at the cost of everything else.

Proud of you!

love Jillie xx

#16 Armygirl

Armygirl
  • Members
  • 1,236 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 04 November 2011 - 06:18 AM

Thanks guys!!!! Four more weeks left after this week, then a month off before round two, woohooo!!

Jillie, yeah I'm trying not to fall into that trap with the grades. For me thinking that way creates so much more stress and anxiety....but....the perfectionist in me won't let me settle for anything less than straigh A's, lol....so far I've got 3 A's and a B average in microbiology (and I'm only one point away from and A)....

Just got home from clinicals tonight....I actually opened up to one of my fellow students tonight, and was telling her about my patient who wasnt doing so well...I was scared...and I told her I don't do so well with my anxiety with patients that are so close to dying, and she was like "so why did you even become a nurse then?" I put her in her place really quick, so many types of nurses, and so many areas to specialize in, some of us have to take care of the more minor cases to cope, but its still a nurse just the same...

ang

#17 Silently

Silently
  • Members
  • 153 posts
  • Flag:
  • Interests:painting, art, drinking (TOO MUCH), sleeping, night driving, shopping, is crying an interest?

Posted 05 November 2011 - 05:11 PM

I think the whole aspect of dealing with patients dying will always be an emotional experience for a nurse. But I also think you'll learn to accept it and be able to deal with it after some more experience with it.

I think you're perfectionist attitude will greatly translate into a successful RN career and give you the confidence to deal with the day to day struggles of the profession!

#18 Ed the chow hound

Ed the chow hound
  • Members
  • 6,338 posts
  • Flag:
  • Interests:depression support, food, friends, dogs, astrology, physics, cosmology, history,

Posted 09 November 2011 - 01:54 PM

Hi Angie,

Gurl,. I am so proud of you getting those A grades You will make wonderful RN when you get some experience.

love ya

Ed the chow hound

#19 kewy13

kewy13
  • Members
  • 3,119 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 01 December 2011 - 08:49 AM

hey hey! hope youre still trying to take care of you and get some real re-coup time when your break comes!