• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 lass70

lass70
  • Members
  • 1 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 12 June 2011 - 02:49 PM

About 3 months ago, my husband and I got a weekend to ourselves for a music/food festival. On the first night, without feeling ill at all, I went to the restroom and had water diarrhea. The rest of the weekend was miserable. I had to drink Pepto and water just so I could even stay out there without asking to go home and further ruining the weekend. Later in the week, my husband and oldest son also had a touch of this stomach problem. So, it seems to have been a legitimate virus, but after the first night, I had a knot in my upper stomach that seemed to make the cramping and all worse.
Since then, we have had the opportunity to get out by ourselves five more times. I have gotten the knot and the stomach issues every single time. Three of those times, it turned into full blown diarrhea. It's not even that I'm thinking about getting sick. I just do. But the knot feels like anxiety and so I know it's somehow in my head.
On Friday, we had tickets to a concert at a night club. I was completely fine and talking and distracted, until we couldn't find a parking spot. Out of nowhere, I had to go to the bathroom. I held on until we were inside and mingle with our friends for a minute before I figured I better take care of things. No diarrhea, everything was solid, but the cramping made it feel like a "problem. Then the place got extremely, easily beyond fire code, crowded and it was really hot. I got lightheaded and couldn't shake it. I left my husband there with our friends and went home, crying all the way. He looked so disappointed when I said I couldn't stay there. I didn't even see the band we went to see, only the opening act.
A few other things about myself- I really don't have much stress in my life these days. My husband and I genuinely like each other. Our kids are great. I am in school and did just come out of a really hard semester. I've never had recurring anxiety like this before. If I've ever had my stomach affected by stress, there was an obvious reason- a breakup, death, job, etc.
I have to fix this. It's going to be a problem for my relationship with my husband if I can't ever go anywhere with him, without our kids. That's the only time it happens. Concerts, lunches, nights away are all being ruined. But I can do any and all of those with my friends or aunts and not have any issue. It's only when it's my husband and I away from our kids. And they're always well taken care of, so it's not that either.
I made an appointment with my Primary Care for this Friday. There has to be some way to calm down a bit when I feel that way, and/or neutralize my stomach. Any tips? It almost feels like it'll just pass, but what do I do in the meantime?

Edited by lass70, 12 June 2011 - 02:51 PM.

#2 Ed the chow hound

Ed the chow hound
  • Members
  • 6,338 posts
  • Flag:
  • Interests:depression support, food, friends, dogs, astrology, physics, cosmology, history,

Posted 12 June 2011 - 03:10 PM

Hi Lass 70,

Wow, you do have a real difficult problem here. I think that a P Doc is your best option and see what she/he comes up with.\Please keep posting and keep us up to date as things develop, good luck.

hugs

Ed the chow hound

#3 kewy13

kewy13
  • Members
  • 3,119 posts
  • Flag:
  • Interests:used to be hiking, packing, skiing, anything outdoors. am woking back toward that as i get healthier.

i attend buddhist meditation at a temple nearby.

yoga, bicycling, kayaking, camping, exfoliating, making jewelry, being outdoors.

Posted 14 June 2011 - 07:03 PM

i have gut issues. i take 'prescript assist' probiotics. it helps with anxiety symptoms like you described, quality of sleep, and a couple other issues for me. they are expensive, and i do still feel the anxiety 'knot' (and yep that is what it feels like) but the loose or constipated balances out. whichever i am dealing with, these buggers straighten out the digestive tract.