4 replies to this topic

#1 CrossSideTop

CrossSideTop
  • Members
  • 43 posts
  • Flag:
  • Interests:Brazilian Jiu Jitsu, Conditioning, Being a Dad

Posted 18 January 2011 - 07:13 PM

I feel bad for not having checked back in for so long. I felt fine and stopped dropping by. Well now my wife has had a meltdown and the rock that I've always leaned on, I can't lean on anymore, and is in fact in need of me and I feel week and scared. I'm having severe anxiety attacks when I need to be strong for her and we don't have anyone to turn to. I don't know what to do...

#2 Tantalus

Tantalus

Snot pot and Firefox pusher

• Members
  • 6,935 posts
  • Flag:
  • Interests:interesting things

other interesting things

etc

Posted 19 January 2011 - 07:06 PM

Sorry to hear things are so rough right now for you and your family. Sometimes I find myself being stronger than I believed I could be, especially when I'm needed. Feeling nervous about having her lean more on you now is understandable, but don't count yourself out, you have more to offer than you're giving yourself credit for. I don't know if you are on medications or not, but maybe you can speak with your doctor about your anxiety attacks.

Has your wife sought help since her meltdown?

Good luck with all and let us know how things are going.

#3 Hangingon

Hangingon

Resident nerd & geeky person

• Root Admin
  • 21,583 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 19 January 2011 - 10:45 PM

((((Crosssidetop))))

Please do lean on us as needed to help get you through this tough time. I echo Tantalus, perhaps wise to ensure your wife sees someone, be it a family doctor or a therapist of some kind to help her as well.

hang in there!

Love

Sheila

#4 CrossSideTop

CrossSideTop
  • Members
  • 43 posts
  • Flag:
  • Interests:Brazilian Jiu Jitsu, Conditioning, Being a Dad

Posted 20 January 2011 - 12:16 AM

Hey guys... Things have leveled out. Thank you so much for your support. I find that the main thing that helps me to defeat my anxiety is communicating how I'm feeling. When I felt I could no longer do that with my wife I seriously freaked out. I began having anxiety about her anxiety. She has gone to see her GP which amazes me because she's pretty stubborn. I'm very proud of her. She's taking an anti depressant and a sleeping aid. I never thought I'd see the day when she would do that. Again, I'm amazed at her doing what she needs to do to be healthy. Your responses have meant a lot to me. It's very nice to have people to chat with about my issues, even if I don't quite reciprocate that for others having a hard time.

p.s. I dinged my neighbors car today while pulling out. If that's not bad enough, it's a neighbor that I've fought with over the parking spot being mine. I'm surprised that this hasn't sent my anxiety through the roof. I do have a bit of anxiety thinking about it, but I know it was my fault and just have to man up and admit guilt to a neighbor I don't like.

#5 Sunshineinmyface

Sunshineinmyface

Wiki Queen

• Members
  • 10,092 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 22 January 2011 - 09:24 PM

I hope the meds your wife are taking help her through the slippery slope, if not there are lots of meds to try. Perhaps a bit of therapy will help too. Meds + therapy (be it individual or group) is the best treatment we currently have to maintain and cope with mental illness. Please do encourage her to check out a therapist and you too for that anxiety.

Hugs,
Sunshine