• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 darthbreezy

darthbreezy
  • Members
  • 11 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 05 January 2011 - 05:14 PM

I spent a week in a psych ward, and today is the one-month anniversary of my release date. Yesterday, I saw our family pdoc for reasons unknown to me (my mom scheduled the appt and drove me there) and I guess everyone was under the impression I was misdiagnosed as clinically depressed. The pdoc re-diagnosed me as Bipolar II, manic depressive. I'm currently taking sertraline for depression, and he's starting me on Lamictal (antiseizure med that can be used as a mood stabilizer). He's keeping me on sertraline for now. My dosage of lorazepam was increased, and he's putting me back on ambien (I was taking it in the hospital and it worked, but I was only released with the lorazepam).

I guess I'm not too shocked. About having BP II, I mean. I'm just wondering if anyone else was misdiagnosed as clinically depressed of something else before being diagnosed with any type of BP.

#2 Hangingon

Hangingon

Resident nerd & geeky person

• Root Admin
  • 21,583 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 05 January 2011 - 10:36 PM

Hi there!

I was originally DX'ed as depressed, then cyclothymic and finally Bipolar II. Misdiagnoses is common as many Bipolar people only report the lows to doctors and care givers, rarely do we report the highs and hypomania so it makes for a difficult DX.

Glad you finally got the proper DX!

Love

Sheila

#3 Sunshineinmyface

Sunshineinmyface

Wiki Queen

• Members
  • 10,092 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 06 January 2011 - 12:50 PM

me too, first diagnosed as depressed then the field recognized bipolar II as a diagnosis and I was re-diagnosed as bipolar II, which is really important because certain anti-depressants make the disorder worse and a mood stabilizer is usually needed. Glad to hear you got re-diagnosed, but if you think the re-diagnosis is improper please do schedule to see a psychiatrist for another opinion.

Hugs,
Sunshine

#4 mopeymonique

mopeymonique
  • Members
  • 28 posts
  • Flag:
  • Interests:none at the moment.........but I use to like camping, boating, music, traveling, horses, reading

Posted 30 May 2011 - 12:47 AM

I was misdiagnosed with clinical depression because I only told my Family practice Dr. how depressed I was. When I was manic I thought that was normal and how I should feel all the time. It took a while to admit to myself that I had a pattern usually come Spring when I would get all this energy, talked a lot more, shopped more, felt extra happy but also would get aggitated easily and want to quit my jobs. I was put on Zyprexa 5 mg for bi-polar and have not had a manic episode since but still suffer serious depression.

#5 TattooedGirl

TattooedGirl
  • Members
  • 7 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 13 August 2011 - 12:16 AM

the lovely rock i live on hardly ever tells you yoru diagnosis, no idea why that is, i only got told I was considered bipolar by my GP after i told her i wasnt taking zyprexa again even though the psychiatrist asked me to. (turned out it wasnt a psych, it was a training GP on a placement)

Before this i was seing a team of psychiatrist, psychologist for CBT and my GP on weekly basis never told what was wrong with me, but generally thinking they thought i was just depressed, even though i had psychotic episode and had attempted suicide many times/been hospitalised.

I found out over teh phoen in march they think i could be boarderline too, lots of fun. here it seems theyre very hit and miss, so I dont really hold stock by what they say. Trying to find a new team currently, hopefully they'll be a bit more reliable.

#6 SpaceTrekkie

SpaceTrekkie
  • Members
  • 782 posts
  • Flag:
  • Interests:Astronomy, Ham radio, books.

Posted 13 August 2011 - 02:14 PM

I was originally diagnosed with clinical depression, and later it was changed to cyclic depression/possibly Bipolar II. Originally I was prescribed zoloft, but never took it...then later lamictal and ambien for sleep...and at one point xanax when I was having panic attacks..

#7 Cartune

Cartune
  • Members
  • 2 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 September 2011 - 06:26 AM

the lovely rock i live on hardly ever tells you yoru diagnosis, no idea why that is, i only got told I was considered bipolar by my GP after i told her i wasnt taking zyprexa again even though the psychiatrist asked me to. (turned out it wasnt a psych, it was a training GP on a placement)

Before this i was seing a team of psychiatrist, psychologist for CBT and my GP on weekly basis never told what was wrong with me, but generally thinking they thought i was just depressed, even though i had psychotic episode and had attempted suicide many times/been hospitalised.

I found out over teh phoen in march they think i could be boarderline too, lots of fun. here it seems theyre very hit and miss, so I dont really hold stock by what they say. Trying to find a new team currently, hopefully they'll be a bit more reliable.

#8 blue282

blue282
  • Members
  • 60 posts
  • Flag:
  • Interests:Model airplanes, outdoors, motorcycles

Posted 14 November 2011 - 01:02 AM

I was misdiagnosed as major depression and it took nearly 4 years before I got the diagnosis of bipolar 2 and was put on Valproate.

#9 tinker

tinker
  • Members
  • 195 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 November 2011 - 08:35 PM

yup I was originally diagnosed with recurrent clinical depression, the term 'treatment resistent' was also added after many experiences with a wide variety of meds that seemed to poop out - if they ever worked in the first place (see my other posts).

Recently I have received a diagnosis of bipolar II which in my view seems very fitting with my history and experiences. In the past I had queried the possibility of bipolar II with a wide variety of professionals but it was never taken any further so I stopped mentioning the possibility. Luckily a brilliant psychiatrist that I recently met through my crisis team proposed this theory himself (without my input or suggestion) after taking great care to investigate my history and case. So my original queries that fell on deaf ears had not been completely off the mark!

I can't let myself wholeheartedly subscribe to the view that I was misdiagnosed in the first instance or I think I would dwell on it too much and be unbearably angry and downhearted that my suffering could possibly have been alleviated earlier with the correct meds for the correct condition, this anger etc would be such a waste of much needed precious energy. It is also important to remember that the specific diagnosis of many mental illnesses can be extremely problematic (esp in the instance of bipolar II) for a vast array of reasons. In fact I find it easier to accept that my bipolar II could have developed at a later stage or as a consequence from my original diagnosis of clinical depression.

Even with my new diagnosis of bipolar II it seems that there will still be a battle of trial and error to find the correct meds for this condition. Such is the world of mental health which is an ongoing learning curve even for the professionals. We just have to cling to the cope that they and we will get there...eventually.

#10 kewy13

kewy13
  • Members
  • 3,119 posts
  • Flag:
  • Interests:used to be hiking, packing, skiing, anything outdoors. am woking back toward that as i get healthier.

i attend buddhist meditation at a temple nearby.

yoga, bicycling, kayaking, camping, exfoliating, making jewelry, being outdoors.

Posted 15 November 2011 - 05:48 PM

i was diagnosed like many of you, depression then bp II. they tagged anxiety in there also. my nutririonist and i think i may have been all around misdiagnosed, and it could be hormonal. getting that lab work under way to check. hope you are getting results .

#11 love333

love333
  • Members
  • 2 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 23 June 2013 - 04:46 PM

I spent a week in a psych ward, and today is the one-month anniversary of my release date. Yesterday, I saw our family pdoc for reasons unknown to me (my mom scheduled the appt and drove me there) and I guess everyone was under the impression I was misdiagnosed as clinically depressed. The pdoc re-diagnosed me as Bipolar II, manic depressive. I'm currently taking sertraline for depression, and he's starting me on Lamictal (antiseizure med that can be used as a mood stabilizer). He's keeping me on sertraline for now. My dosage of lorazepam was increased, and he's putting me back on ambien (I was taking it in the hospital and it worked, but I was only released with the lorazepam).

I guess I'm not too shocked. About having BP II, I mean. I'm just wondering if anyone else was misdiagnosed as clinically depressed of something else before being diagnosed with any type of BP.

Yeah...I was diagnosed w ptsd which i do have, and depression. when i was given the anti-depressants i became manic. Many bi-polar people cannot take anti-depressants it maked them crazy--like me. I was probably bi-polar for a few years. I was so far in that I couldn't see it. I went thru it w/ my brothers symptons--but cldn't see my own. I went to inhouse psych ward and said look i am drinking all the time i feel like i am insane. Told the doctor that I was diagnosed w/ ptsd which is similar to ptsd and often goes w/ it. I told the doctor hey look I think I am bipolar because my bro is. She said okay and put me on lamotrigine....and the manic stopped after a short bit. She put me on some calmer downs like rispodone (?) don't know if thats how u spell it...but that and others didn;'t help so I take lamictral 100mg and 1 m colozapam...also just on own started taking 3 50m of tramadol really helps My anxiety and moods. Everyone is different though. Man, I really wanted to kill myself. But after I got on the meds my ex-boyfriend said ya, u are bi-polar. I lost a lot of relationships, friends whom thought I was plain crazy. Good luck!!!