6 replies to this topic

#1 drgnfly

drgnfly
  • Members
  • 901 posts
  • Flag:
  • Interests:Art, Books, Sleeping

Posted 12 February 2010 - 04:51 PM

For those of you who don't know, I have bipolar II. I have had some very mild manic episodes but mostly very long, horrible depressive ones. I think I am having my first full blown manic episode, and this crap is pretty scary! I haven't slept a full night in over a week. Last night my mind was racing so much and I had so many ideas for paintings that I got up and started sketching the ideas so I wouldn't lose them. When it started I was having anxiety attacks around bedtime but those have subsided. Now I just miss my best friend sleep. I go see the Pdoc today thank goodness. She put me on Geodon last month and I think that is triggering this.
Does anyone have any tips for getting to sleep during a manic phase? I like to sleep because it gives me an escape from life. I'm missing my escape!

#2 Hangingon

Hangingon

Resident nerd & geeky person

• Root Admin
  • 21,583 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 12 February 2010 - 05:06 PM

Ugh,

I wish I had some tips, but I barely slept during manic phases and used to end up on Yahoo chat with Jillie at 2 or 3 am my time.

Best I can try to suggest is warm baths, anything soothing rather than stimulating, sometimes a Benadryl pill helps (OTC for allergies, main ingredient is used in the over the counter sleeping pills like Tylenol PM). Just try to avoid stimulation as much as possible.

Hopefully the Pdoc has a solution for you med wise! Keep us updated.

Love

Sheila

#3 natoking

natoking
  • Members
  • 408 posts
  • Interests:Boating, biking, music, conversation, world affairs, politics, love and sex.<br /><br />I am a graphic artist.

Posted 12 February 2010 - 06:59 PM

drgnfly - Sorry about all that is happening. I suffer from much the same. Most people seem to feel euphoric during a manic state. I don't. I suffer more from "Mixed Episodes" where I am both depressed and manic at the same time. It is really wrenching and wrought with terrible anxiety. Of course sleep is compromised. My mixed episodes were brought on by taking Celexa (anti-depressant) along with mood stabilizers. I have rarely had full blown mania but when I was on Celexa, I did. Both are bad but the mixed episodes seem to be much more difficult for me. The manic episodes are pretty easy to endure but very difficult for the people around me!

I was taking klonopin to relieve anxiety and help to get to sleep. It can be addictive but I find it to be quite effective.

Whatever is going on with you, I hope you get the relief you deserve soon. Your pdoc probably knows best

Bob

P.S. this is from - http://en.wikipedia....ate_(psychiatry)

#4 Sunshineinmyface

Sunshineinmyface

Wiki Queen

• Members
  • 10,092 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 12 February 2010 - 08:37 PM

((((drgnfly))))

I am so sorry to hear of your anxiety and now inability to sleep. Sometimes warm milk with vanilla for flavor helps me get sleepy. Sometimes an herbal nighttime tea works. I sure hope your doctor figures something out today. Let us know how things go.

hugs,
Sunshine

#5 glassslipper

glassslipper
  • Members
  • 354 posts
  • Flag:
  • Interests:Reading, History, Horror film, most creative things, I think elbows are ugly along with belly buttons, but I love curries, followed by anything chocolate.

Posted 12 February 2010 - 10:04 PM

Hi Bob

I am only a common or garden depressive. I've had a coupla friends that suffered with Manic depression, one just couldnt'nt help herself at all, but the other, he would make himself do sit ups and different exercises in the dark and heat to slow music so he would get exhausted, I know he did them for hours, but cant remember for how many hours. Many years ago some doctor gave me what I gather now are known as purple hearts, they used to make me shake and go hyper, the only way I could stop the shakes and get sleep, this was after 4 days of not sleeping was to walk for miles, ut it really was miles and miles.

When I have got into a state of terror the last time I cracked the doctor told me I had to calm myself down, it was really difficult and took me hours to do it, but I put a boring politics radio station on, flopped on the floor in a large duvet and tried to get my breathing to go with whatever slow rythm I could hear on the radio. The English Shipping forecast is good for boring anyone into a stupor.

Sorry you cant rest, I do know how awful it feels and how hard it is to try and slow down.

Maria x

#6 drgnfly

drgnfly
  • Members
  • 901 posts
  • Flag:
  • Interests:Art, Books, Sleeping

Posted 12 February 2010 - 11:47 PM

My pdoc took me off of Geodon and raised by trileptal to 300mg. I think the geodon triggered the mania but I'm not sure. She said the best way to get back to a normal sleep pattern is to reduce stress. Which makes me laugh a sleepy laugh because I don't see any relief from the stress anytime soon.

Thank you for all of your responses. Sometimes its nice to know that I'm not suffering through all this alone. I appreciate you all :hug:

Edited by drgnfly, 12 February 2010 - 11:48 PM.

#7 Hangingon

Hangingon

Resident nerd & geeky person

• Root Admin
  • 21,583 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 13 February 2010 - 11:50 AM

Glad to hear the Pdoc switched up the meds! And lol, yeah, if only it were that easy to reduce stress.

:?:

Love

Sheila