4 replies to this topic

#1 Sunshineinmyface

Sunshineinmyface

Wiki Queen

• Members
  • 10,092 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 25 December 2009 - 04:29 PM

I just finished two great books about Bipolar II that I checked out from the library and wanted to share the titles with those interested:

Bipolar II: Enhance your highs, boast your creativity, and escape the cycles of recurrent depression - the essential guide to recognize and treat the mood swings of this increasingly common disorder by Ronald R. Fieve, MD ( former book about Bipolar I: Moodswing)

Why am I still depressed? Recognizing and managing the ups and downs of Bipolar II and soft bipolar disorder by Jim Phelps, MD

Both have great reference sections for further reading and each author has a web site:

www.FieveClinical. com
www.psycheducation.org (great pictures and brain function information)

I hope some of you find these resources useful, as I surely did.Attached File  capt_photo_1236716836056-1-0.jpg   15.77KB   0 downloads

#2 natoking

natoking
  • Members
  • 408 posts
  • Interests:Boating, biking, music, conversation, world affairs, politics, love and sex.<br /><br />I am a graphic artist.

Posted 26 December 2009 - 05:08 PM

Thanks Sunshine!

I will check them out. Not sure if I am a bipolar 1 or 2 but I find this type of reading helpful.

I sincerely believe that along with these disorders come awesome gifts. It is quite evident by reading the posts on BtB! The people here have an abundance of kindness, compassion and empathy. The way people approach one another is sensitive and insightful. It is also quite obvious that there is a lot of intellect out there. Quite an extraordinary bunch, I must say.

The trick is learning how to manage ourselves, to let our gifts shine and keep the beast off of our backs. While I am faithful to my med regiment, I am always wary of losing my gifts in order to suppress my depression. I don't mean I want to be manic but I want to shine like I used to. I am getting there. The last thing I want to happen is to be "flatlined". Ups and downs are okay but spiraling down really sucks and it can damage everything from our livelihood, our passions to our relationships.

I recently read "An Unquiet Mind" A memoir of moods and madness by Kay Redfield Jamison. I really enjoyed and related to it. She is a Phd and known as one of the foremost authorities on Bipolar Disorder. She bravely disclosed her illness to her colleagues and the world at large. She took a big risk, worrying that that her professional life might be in jeopardy. She revealed her stories of dark depression to wildly manic episodes. She also talks about how her medication has helped her to live a highly productive life that is widely praised in the medical community.

I look forward to reading your suggested books. I wish the best for the new year and the best for every day to come. In other words, I wish you a good life. Let your sun shine! Thanks again for the suggestions.

Bob

#3 hippy

hippy
  • Members
  • 445 posts

Posted 14 January 2010 - 02:23 PM

"An Unquiet Mind" is one of my favourite reads. I also identified with many aspects of her experiences with Bipolar. She is a tremendous role model to all of us who live with this illness. Amazing courgage and tenacity of Spirit.

#4 Hangingon

Hangingon

Resident nerd & geeky person

• Root Admin
  • 21,583 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 January 2010 - 03:46 PM

Agreed, An Unquiet Mind was a great read! I have more at home, shall add to this. I think one of mine is also Why am I still depressed? Recognizing and managing the ups and downs of Bipolar II and soft bipolar disorder by Jim Phelps, MD......

Love

Sheila

#5 Sunshineinmyface

Sunshineinmyface

Wiki Queen

• Members
  • 10,092 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 January 2010 - 03:48 PM

the more the merrier :)