Photo

Mixed Episodes - Progress

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 natoking

natoking
  • Members
  • 408 posts
  • Interests:Boating, biking, music, conversation, world affairs, politics, love and sex.<br /><br />I am a graphic artist.

Posted 05 December 2009 - 11:33 PM

Hi All!

Since I last wrote, I have done much research (maybe too much) on mixed episodes. From what I was reading, it fit me to the tee.

I visited my psychiatrist today, two weeks ahead of schedule. He agreed with my self analysis of having mixed episodes which he considers to be a very serious problem. I told him that I suspected that my meds were perhaps not working for me. I currently take Celexa (SSRI anti-depressant) in the morning with Lamicatal. Before bed I just take Lamictal. A couple of times, I forgot my nighttime dose of Lamicatal and noticed that I would have mixed episodes the following day. I also sometimes got them without missing an evening Lamictal. He had immediately stopped the Celexa and has increased my Lamicatal.

It was odd that he told me to stop researching and analyzing myself and my conditions. I see his point but if I hadn't, I would not have been able to recognize this condition and communicate it in our 15 minute appointments once a month. It is crazy to think that my mental health and medications that effect my well being are being supervised once monthly for 15 minutes! Life without insurance!

At any rate, I am happy that we are on to something and I am hoping for a smoother ride with the new med game plan.

For those of you not familiar with "mixed episodes". I have copied the Wikipedia definition below. I find it pretty accurate and helpful But one must contact your doctor before diagnosing one's self and before we should alter any med.

"From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
This article is an expansion of a section entitled Mixed State from the main article: Bipolar disorder

In the context of mental disorder, a mixed state (also known as dysphoric mania, agitated depression, or a mixed episode) is a condition during which symptoms of mania and depression occur simultaneously (e.g., agitation, anxiety, fatigue, guilt, impulsiveness, irritability, morbid or suicidal ideation, panic, paranoia, pressured speech and rage). Typical examples include tearfulness during a manic episode or racing thoughts during a depressive episode. One may also feel incredibly frustrated in this state, since one may feel like a failure and at the same time have a flight of ideas. Mixed states are often the most dangerous period of mood disorders, during which substance abuse, panic disorder, suicide attempts, and other complications increase greatly."

#2 J-H

J-H
  • Members
  • 663 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 08 December 2009 - 08:29 PM

How terribly brave you are to give expression to your core in this way. Your honest touches my deeply buried emotionality in unexpected ways.

Insurance... ... ...the bane of society in the USA. We are damned if we have it: damned if we do not. Like you, I have a deep affinity with research, and being engaged in my own physical and mental health care has, or so it seems to me, saved me from making more than one medical blunders. Doctors are an important part of our treatment, but no physician can walk a mile in our moccasins. Only we know where/how/why we are.

My very best wishes for success with your current medical regime. J-H

#3 natoking

natoking
  • Members
  • 408 posts
  • Interests:Boating, biking, music, conversation, world affairs, politics, love and sex.<br /><br />I am a graphic artist.

Posted 08 December 2009 - 09:13 PM

Thank J-H!

Yes we need to take care of ourselves. If we can step back and observe ourselves as objectively as possible, we really can help the doctors to help us. They don't know it all and it would be ridiculous to think that they could get it right in a very short period of time. Money gets in the way. They need to see enough patients in as little time as possible to get a return on their investment of time and money educating themselves. No insurance is a great barrier!

I do know what he means by too much analysis though. If we dwell on what is wrong with us, we can sink further. I find it helpful to also think of the gifts that are bi-products of being the way we are. Sometimes these gifts can be extraordinary. I am thankful for the way I am. I just need a hand up sometimes.

I hope you can dig up some of the buried emotion. Grab the the good "booty" and cast the bad crap into the sea and let it drift away - never to be seen again.

B