7 replies to this topic

#1 RWigram

RWigram
  • Members
  • 1,435 posts
  • Flag:
  • Interests:Scrabble-History-Reading-Baseball-Football

Posted 09 November 2009 - 03:52 AM

OK, I'm 5'11" and since college 20 years ago I have weighed between 220 and 240. I always had in mind that I'd like to get down to about 180 like in high school. That still would have me a bit above what the govt. says I should weigh, but I'm never going lower than that.

About six years ago, I shot up to 250 once, freaked out and lost 10-20 lbs. in a couple of months. I stayed around 240 until about 2 years ago when I shot up to 280, lost a bit and kinda settled in at about 270.

Now, since the beginning of the school year in September, I've gained about 20 lbs. I'm weighing in now at over 290 most days, but in the high 280's for sure.

I work out like fiend though at this point I'm probably just exacerbating my heart attack risk. My lower back is getting sore and that's the one thing I've always managed to avoid problems with.

I've had everything that could be causing it check out OK (meds, thyroid, hormones) and I've tracked my calories and this weight gain is 100% legit.

I can't for the life of me remember the last time I felt hungry. I think it's actually been months. In fact I walk around feeling stuffed to the gills most of the time.

I think I'm just eating myself to death to put an end to this and I'm too gutless to take the issue into my own hands.

#2 drgnfly

drgnfly
  • Members
  • 901 posts
  • Flag:
  • Interests:Art, Books, Sleeping

Posted 10 November 2009 - 08:05 PM

I can completely relate. I eat and eat just to fill something inside that is missing. If I could figure out what that something is, maybe I could fix it.

Are you on any kind of medication that could be making the weight gain worse? Paxil made me put on 30 pounds about 8 yrs ago, took me years to get it off. My doc just recently put me on Symbyax and I put on 19 lbs in a month. I have been cutting back on what I eat but it's just not going anywhere. My weight is one of my biggest depression triggers, so I'm not dealing well with it.

Just one thing to try to remember. You are more than whatever number shows up on the scale. You are a kind person with a great sense of humor who cares about others. Those are great qualities for someone to have. Try not to get too down about the weight. (I am a hypocrite,I know) But you have people that care about you, which is tons more important.

#3 RWigram

RWigram
  • Members
  • 1,435 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 10 November 2009 - 10:56 PM

Thank you for that reminder. I needed it.

All the same is true of you too.

My biggest issue with it at this point, though is physical rather than visual.

I have NOOOO energy and if I could work a second job, it'd be so much easier to deal with my other issues. I know there are fat people with energy, but I'm not one of them.

Also I've been getting flare-ups of gout with increasing frequency.

#4 drgnfly

drgnfly
  • Members
  • 901 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 November 2009 - 05:06 PM

OK, we'll tackle this from another angle then! :hm:

Our focus is on getting you healthy. I don't think anyone with energy, overweight or not, deals with depression. Depression sucks all of the life right out of you. At least that is how it makes me feel. The couch is a lot more inviting than any kind of activity.

You've heard this all before I'm sure, but losing weight involves eating less calories than you burn. No way around it. Are you an emotional eater? Eat when you are sad, mad, glad, etc..? Maybe try to stay busy doing other things to keep your mind off food. I like to read and that helps me if I immerse myself in a book. It's my escape from real life. I also try to keep certain things out of my house. If I have cookies or almost any kind of bread, it's going to get devoured. I'll really eat anything that is easy, so I try to keep things that actually have to be cooked. I usually decide that I am too lazy to actually go to that much trouble for a snack.

I wish I had more advice for you. I'm sending you hugs and good thoughts.

#5 RWigram

RWigram
  • Members
  • 1,435 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 November 2009 - 10:28 PM

Eat when you are sad, mad, glad, etc..?

Yes...yes I do.

I love your idea of not having anything you don't have to cook. I guess, as always seems the case with me, I need to get the hell out of my house before I can get any better. My wife insists on buying cookies, snack cakes and all that crap.

She never eats any of it, but says it's for the kids. They do eat some of it but I disagree entirely that they need to have it around. Just another part of my life I've ceded control over.

#6 drgnfly

drgnfly
  • Members
  • 901 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 12 November 2009 - 09:03 PM

I agree with you. Kids do not need to have that kind of stuff to survive. A little in moderation is OK, but for some (like me!) moderation is not even an option. I lost about 30 pounds a couple of years ago, but not by any healthy method. I cut my calories to about 1000 per day and if I ate any more than that I was purging. My body felt weak and I would get the shakes. Definitely not a way to get healthier. One of my co-workers, who is also a great friend, found out and freaked out on me. I promised I would stop and did. I'm the last person who should be trying to give anyone advice. :(

I wish you could get out. No one should have to be so unhappy with their situation. I can't help but think that maybe if you start with one thing, one aspect of your life, like losing weight, it will give you the confidence to change other things you are unhappy with. It could be a starting goal.

Hugs, as always!
Sabrina

#7 RWigram

RWigram
  • Members
  • 1,435 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 13 November 2009 - 03:24 PM

Thanks, Sabrina. You're amazing.

#8 kewy13

kewy13
  • Members
  • 3,119 posts
  • Flag:
  • Interests:used to be hiking, packing, skiing, anything outdoors. am woking back toward that as i get healthier.

i attend buddhist meditation at a temple nearby.

yoga, bicycling, kayaking, camping, exfoliating, making jewelry, being outdoors.

Posted 15 November 2009 - 02:47 AM

right there with ya. i gained 90 lb when i was on the depakote. and i was really active. i hope this gets figured out for you soon. and when they test your thyroid be sure they test ALL thyroid levels. i dont remember what all the t cells are to test for, but they often miss some.

xoxo
kewy