• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Ashten

Ashten
  • Members
  • 1,098 posts
  • Interests:Books, Music, Learning, Sleeping,

Posted 06 October 2009 - 07:53 PM

So, its been 2.5months-ish since I quit drinking/partying, and things are going a lot better. I've moved in with my boyfriend, and initially, I was nervous that I would be boring and ruin our previous fun lifestyle - but he's been great. We've been great. He usually has a glass of wine with dinner and I'm okay with that. I'vw had half a glass here and there of wine at dinner, and I was okay with that. I had an draft cider when we went camping last weekend and that was good. I actually feel in control of myself. I think my partying days are over, and I know that even though I can handle half a glass of wine with the BF, i don't think I could handle a full on party - I'm not ready for that, and I'm not sure if I ever will be. So that stuff is good.

But, I do have a question. Even though I've been cleaning myself up, I'm still having nightmares. I dream that I get really drunk and do something stupid and then i "sober up" in my dream and I'm filled with anxiety. The anxiety from these dreams lasts longer than the few minutes I wake up, sometimes it lingers for the rest of the day. I know drunk dreams are normal, but how long can I expect this to last? What can I do to lessen my anxiety on those days?

#2 drgnfly

drgnfly
  • Members
  • 901 posts
  • Flag:
  • Interests:Art, Books, Sleeping

Posted 06 October 2009 - 08:46 PM

Ashten, I'm so proud of you! You should be extremely proud of yourself! :yea:

I don't really know about the dreams. I am hoping that they will subside as time goes by. To try to cope with anxiety, I try to breathe slowly and find a quiet place to escape for a moment.

#3 Hangingon

Hangingon

Resident nerd & geeky person

• Root Admin
  • 21,583 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 07 October 2009 - 12:38 AM

:D

Congrats Ash, I am proud of you. It's a good sign when you realize you can have fun without the alcohol, and when you realize a half glass or so is enough.

I think with the dreams, you need to remind yourself that you are sober now, and these dreams have no basis in reality. The fears of getting drunk still seem to linger a bit with you, so keep reminding yourself "I am sober now, I no longer drink to get drunk. My days of doing stupid things while drunk are over." Telling myself that I am a non smoker has been keeping my wanting a smoke anxiety at bay.

Keep at it and keep building yourself up with those words, it can only get easier from here!

Love

Sheila

#4 Ashten

Ashten
  • Members
  • 1,098 posts

Posted 13 October 2009 - 07:04 PM

Thanks! :)

#5 Dedalus77

Dedalus77
  • Members
  • 174 posts
  • Flag:
  • Interests:Videogames, reading, photography, art, film, and high end beer.

Posted 13 October 2009 - 09:15 PM

Congrats on your sobriety! Getting clean was one of the hardest things I ever did, so hang in there, it does get easier with time.

As for the dreams, they will go away eventually, you just have to give it time. That said, even after 10 years I still sometimes get anxiety dreams around my addictions.

#6 Sunshineinmyface

Sunshineinmyface

Wiki Queen

• Members
  • 10,092 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 13 October 2009 - 10:08 PM

Congratulations Ashten!!!!!!!! So proud of you, we all are!!

I have had the lingering anxiety dreams too and they are very unsettling. I agree the deep breathing and doing relaxation exercises can help get through this period. Another thing I throw out to you is to concentrate on every step you are doing when the anxiety hits. For instance, each step of making breakfast or your rising routine. Sometimes focusing on one thing (to the exclusion of the dream) will distract the mind.

Good luck!! We are all behind you dear!!

:?: :?: :?: :?:
Sunshine

#7 Ashten

Ashten
  • Members
  • 1,098 posts

Posted 13 October 2009 - 10:43 PM

Thanks Sunshine :) I will definitely try focusing on my routines. I find it gets worse when I just lay there and wallow in it, but sometimes it's so hard to just get out of bed!