Am I?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 WlkThruMyMind

WlkThruMyMind
  • Members
  • 50 posts
  • Flag:
  • Interests:Poker, Fishing, Music, Writing, Football.

Posted 02 October 2009 - 03:53 PM

How can I find out on my own if I am BiPolar. From some things Ive read I feel that I am. I am bad at self diagnosing, so I was wondering what signs I should be looking for. I just dont got money to be going to the doctor every 2 days, so Id rather learn as much on my own.

#2 drgnfly

drgnfly
  • Members
  • 901 posts
  • Flag:
  • Interests:Art, Books, Sleeping

Posted 02 October 2009 - 04:00 PM

It sometimes takes a long time to get an official diagnosis of bipolar. I have just been diagnosed as bipolar II after being treated for depression for 10 years.
Symptoms can be different for everyone. For me, I have been on lots of different anti-depressants but none of them seemed to work for any length of time. I don't really have manic episodes, mine show up as extreme irritability. I'm mostly really down, with a couple of days here and there when I think I am hilarious. :)
My advice would be to read what you can and compare your symptoms. I just read a book called Why am I Still Depressed? which explains the symptoms of bipolar II and soft bipolar disorders. The more you educate yourself the better you can take care of you.
I'm kind of a rambler but I hope this helps some.

Hugs!

#3 WlkThruMyMind

WlkThruMyMind
  • Members
  • 50 posts
  • Flag:
  • Interests:Poker, Fishing, Music, Writing, Football.

Posted 02 October 2009 - 04:05 PM

Well, I feel like you. I dont really go MANIC I dont think, but I will be pretty upbeat, only to come crashing down. I am mostly down to. Also, it seems I can go from happy, to sad, to mad, back to happy, back to sad in the span of like 5 minutes. My emotions jump all over the place.But sometimes I feel real low, and sometimes I feel high like they say, just not often like you said. I

#4 natoking

natoking
  • Members
  • 408 posts
  • Interests:Boating, biking, music, conversation, world affairs, politics, love and sex.<br /><br />I am a graphic artist.

Posted 30 November 2009 - 05:19 AM

When I was hospitalized for depression they prescribe the SSRI drug Celexa. In a very short period of time I felt euphoric and invincable. I felt that this was the way I should have felt my whole life! good friends pointed out to me that I was coming across as self rightious and even angry. I wasn't sleeping much, up at 3:00 am cleaning and what not.

My pdoc told me that it can take year to diagnose BP but my reaction to Celexa was an almost definate indication that I am.

Upon reflection, I realize that my mania manifested itself by me trying to be superhuman at work. My boss loved all of the work I got done but in the process I was so hyper-focused that I would be bard to deal with at work. It was like I was just pushing everybody out of my and I was trying to do everything myself. Then I would crash and do a regular share of work but I was unpleasant in a depresses, silent way.

Try reading "An Unquiet Mind" by Kay Redfield Jamison. I learned a lot from
her story and expertise on this subject.

Best you! With love, Bob