Anxiety at it's worst, I'm always afraid

• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

#1 sickofbeingsick09

sickofbeingsick09
  • Members
  • 44 posts

Posted 12 February 2009 - 05:18 AM

I am so anxious and afraid all the time, I can't stand it. I worry about everything all the time and I keep worrying until I am totally freaked out. I can't stop myself from worrying and I can't relax very easily at all. I always worry about the worst thing that can happen and it just seems to be getting worse. Sometimes I can't get a thought out of my head, something I am worrying about just gets in my head and sets up housekeeping. My depression meds don't seem to help with my anxiety and my doc is only concerned about me getting my depression meds regularly, which is a good idea but doesn't seem to address the anxiety, at least not enough to help me get my life back. It's so bad I have to drag myself to work everyday, I can't sleep and I am anxious at work and can't really function normally or really be myself. It has gotten so bad I have had panic attacks at work and I am having them closer together than I ever have before (like 2 times in 2 or 3 days). When I go to the doctor I can never seem to express how bad things are and I always seem to have it more together when I am at the doctor. I also tend to forget a lot of things I want to tell the doctor and remember after I get home from the appointment. A lot of things I worry about tend to be health related. It's like I am extremely attuned to my body and when something is slightly off or something a little strange or different happens I get anxious and worry about it and think of the worse case scenario of what it could mean. I just wish I didn't feel this way all the time and that I could convey how awful I am feeling and how big an impact this anxiety and worry is having on my life. I don't know what to do. Any advice or help would be greatly appreciated.

#2 RWigram

RWigram
  • Members
  • 1,435 posts
  • Flag:
  • Interests:Scrabble-History-Reading-Baseball-Football

Posted 12 February 2009 - 09:39 AM

Wish I had words.(((((((((Sickofbeingsick))))))))))))

#3 paul

paul
  • Members
  • 2,607 posts
  • Flag:
  • Interests:IM into Astronomy, photography and Ancient Egypt

Posted 12 February 2009 - 05:47 PM

:co:

#4 jillie

jillie

Sunbeam

• Root Admin
  • 14,069 posts
  • Flag:
  • Interests:This is it!

Posted 12 February 2009 - 08:32 PM

Something that may help with the doctor is to write down how you are feeling, any questions you have, etc. It is not unusual to have problems expressing yourself and as coming over as more in control than you actually are - I think it is a kind of defence mechanism - but that is not a good idea at the doctor! You can either refer back to your piece of paper to make sure you have said all you want to, or even just hand it over to him.

What may also help is to keep a diary tracking how you are feeling at different points in the day. Certainly note whenever you have a panic attack - then you have something concrete to show how things are going with you. I don't know what meds you are on, but some anti-depressants are better at dealing with anxiety than others.

Good luck!

love Jillie xxxxxxxx

#5 paul

paul
  • Members
  • 2,607 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 13 February 2009 - 05:16 PM

Really hope you start to feel better soon.

#6 Sunshineinmyface

Sunshineinmyface

Wiki Queen

• Board Moderator
  • 10,092 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 13 February 2009 - 07:51 PM

:?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: hope you are feeling better soon.

Sunshine

#7 lucyvp

lucyvp
  • Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 14 February 2009 - 02:42 AM

i second jillie's suggestion to write things down. or if you can not do it, maybe ask a friend to.
i, too, went without proper treatment for a long time because i presented so well.
don't stop or give up until you find the right kind of help.
good luck.

lvp

#8 kewy13

kewy13
  • Members
  • 3,119 posts
  • Flag:
  • Interests:used to be hiking, packing, skiing, anything outdoors. am woking back toward that as i get healthier.

i attend buddhist meditation at a temple nearby.

yoga, bicycling, kayaking, camping, exfoliating, making jewelry, being outdoors.

Posted 14 February 2009 - 04:55 AM

((sos))

i hope you can get on your meds regularly. do you forget to take them? i had the same problem. i have ocd tendencies. i get repetitive thoughts. so once that worry comes to mind, it just plays over and over on repeat. anti anxiety meds didnt do the trick. the first med that worked for me was celexa. it made the thoughts easier to stop. they still came, but i could be logical since they werent bombarding me.

i know you posted this a bit ago, but hope you can update us. and that the anxiety has calmed.

xoxo
kewy

#9 agentcooper

agentcooper
  • Members
  • 23 posts

Posted 14 February 2009 - 06:08 PM

I have had bad anxiety (and depression) for many months now.

Today I had hypnotherapy for the anxiety which involved imagining a dial with which to control it. I don't know how hypnosis works, but what I do know is that it really can work. My anxiety has gone. Admittedly it's only been six hours, but that's six hours of normality which is fantastic.

I'll let you know how it goes but I am hopeful.

#10 Ed the chow hound

Ed the chow hound
  • Members
  • 6,338 posts
  • Flag:
  • Interests:depression support, food, friends, dogs, astrology, physics, cosmology, history,

Posted 19 February 2009 - 09:01 AM

Agent Cooper,

Bloody marvelous mate, I got to try this one myself. I am the greatest anxious person in the business.

hugs

Ed the chow hound

#11 agentcooper

agentcooper
  • Members
  • 23 posts

Posted 19 February 2009 - 10:23 AM

I'm still not anxious and it's now been five days. It is so fantastic not to have to worry about it anymore. I really can't believe how much better I am.

#12 paul

paul
  • Members
  • 2,607 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 19 February 2009 - 11:20 AM

Thats brilliant :D im really glad you have something that helps your anxiety, hypnotherapy sounds interesting.

#13 Ed the chow hound

Ed the chow hound
  • Members
  • 6,338 posts
  • Flag:
  • Interests:depression support, food, friends, dogs, astrology, physics, cosmology, history,

Posted 19 February 2009 - 11:49 AM

Agent cooper,

Where can I get me one of those DIALS in a hurry.

hugs

Ed the chow hound

#14 kewy13

kewy13
  • Members
  • 3,119 posts
  • Flag:
  • Interests:used to be hiking, packing, skiing, anything outdoors. am woking back toward that as i get healthier.

i attend buddhist meditation at a temple nearby.

yoga, bicycling, kayaking, camping, exfoliating, making jewelry, being outdoors.

Posted 19 February 2009 - 05:21 PM

(((uncle ed)))

(((sos)))

hope you are managing.

xoxo
kewy

#15 sickofbeingsick09

sickofbeingsick09
  • Members
  • 44 posts

Posted 05 April 2009 - 11:48 PM

i second jillie's suggestion to write things down. or if you can not do it, maybe ask a friend to.
i, too, went without proper treatment for a long time because i presented so well.
don't stop or give up until you find the right kind of help.
good luck.

lvp

I started writing things down to talk about at the doctor and that helped. However, I am still suffering badly from anxiety and depression and am on meds that aren't helping. I am having some really uncomfortable side effects that I cannot live with. I get overheated really easily, I am constantly nervous and anxious without having a corresponding thought to go with that nervousness, I get dizzy when I stand up and I feel flushed all the time, like I am always blushing, kinda the way I feel when I have a fever, but I don't have a fever. I can't take it anymore. Of course the thoughts that make me anxious are always related to my health, that I am afraid to get sick. I have gone through some pretty scary situations with my health, where I actually had to go to the emergency room. The last time I was in the ER, was last week, and after that happened I just had a meltdown. That happened before, at the end of December '08/the beginning of January '09. I don't want to meltdown every time something happens with my health because health isn't always something I can control, sometimes it's just totally random. But I can't seem to help it. I want to be better but I can't seem to find the way to do that, and if I do, I don't stay well. I can't take it anymore!!!!!

#16 romper

romper
  • Members
  • 87 posts
  • Interests:muscle cars, reading, my 3 dogs

Posted 08 April 2009 - 10:09 PM

Just wanted to repeat the suggestion of writing it down. Or even print off your original post, it says it all very well.
I suffered with it for years and finally had to be on meds for it (problem, it was an addicting med and i suffered heavy WD's from it, i was left on it too long; 8 years and then made to stop cold.)
I think the idea of hynotherapy might be the better route to go or maybe meds for a short term combined with the therapy? I know everyone is different but i would hate to see someone addicted to benzo's, it isnt pleasant.
Have you managed to give anything to your doc? Could you ask what treatment he/she might be able to offer?
It is hard to do but it really is for the best, then he/she can help you better once they know everything and just much it is affecting you.
Thinking of you
romp

#17 sunsetsad

sunsetsad
  • Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 11 April 2009 - 06:59 AM

I too suffer from the dragon named Anxiety and I too hate it. Soemtimes I have up to five attacks a day. I have become sorda house bound because when I go out it makes it worse. Today I went to the store and out to lunch with my grandma and was hit hard by one. My legs feel shakey and weak and I am afraid I will fall down. This along with the sweats and the feeling like I cannot catch my breath. I hate it. I have had these all my life. I am on three different anti depressants and I still feel down. Is there really a sun shining somewhere? It does feel good to know I am not alone with these feelings, that there is someone out there who knows and understands. I have started doing what you suggested to someone else here and that is writing. I also keep a mood journal and that is helping me. I want to be free, free from depression, free from anxiety, free. Just simply free.

#18 sickofbeingsick09

sickofbeingsick09
  • Members
  • 44 posts

Posted 14 April 2009 - 01:19 AM

I too suffer from the dragon named Anxiety and I too hate it. Soemtimes I have up to five attacks a day. I have become sorda house bound because when I go out it makes it worse. Today I went to the store and out to lunch with my grandma and was hit hard by one. My legs feel shakey and weak and I am afraid I will fall down. This along with the sweats and the feeling like I cannot catch my breath. I hate it. I have had these all my life. I am on three different anti depressants and I still feel down. Is there really a sun shining somewhere? It does feel good to know I am not alone with these feelings, that there is someone out there who knows and understands. I have started doing what you suggested to someone else here and that is writing. I also keep a mood journal and that is helping me. I want to be free, free from depression, free from anxiety, free. Just simply free.

I can certainly understand about going out making anxiety worse, that happens to me sometimes too. You are definitely not alone and yes somewhere there's a sun shining, we just have to find it. I know how you feel about being on multiple meds and still feeling down, I have been there before. I want to be free, too. Is a mood journal different from just writing in a journal about your day and stuff like that? I would like to know more about keeping a mood journal, it might help me too. Keep posting things here on BTB and we can help each other through our tough times. It's definitely good to know we're not alone, isn't it.

#19 FuzzyFuture

FuzzyFuture
  • Members
  • 1,468 posts

Posted 16 April 2009 - 01:49 PM

Has the doctor had any suggestions or meds to deal with the anxiety?

#20 sickofbeingsick09

sickofbeingsick09
  • Members
  • 44 posts

Posted 20 April 2009 - 06:10 PM

The doctor has tried prescribing several meds for me. I was on Wellbutrin and Ritalin but they made me more nervous and the doctor took me off of them. He prescribed Xanax but I am afraid to take those and he prescribed Buspar but I am not taking those, I think that they aren't right for me. They are only an anti-anxiety med that doesn't do anything for depression and I need something that helps with both. I am right now not even sure I need to be on meds at all. I keep having mixed results with meds and a tendency to feel more myself without any meds. I have an appointment with my doctor next week and we will see what I can do. Tomorrow I see my therapist and I will talk about this with her, too. I'll figure it out, I suppose. I am sure feeling better about not just accepting that I have to take a certain medication and that I feel like I can speak up for myself with my doctor and take an active role in my treatment. I am still having anxiety and depression, but it's a lot less than it used to be. A lot of it was the meds, I think.