Anxious around people

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 sickofbeingsick09

sickofbeingsick09
  • Members
  • 44 posts

Posted 29 January 2009 - 02:48 AM

I am always very anxious when I am around people, especially when it's a lot of people. I was telling my therapist about it and she said it sounds like social phobia. This social phobia or anxiety whatever it is, is something I never really noticed or maybe could really figure out where the feelings were actually coming from before. When I am somewhere with a lot of people I always feel like they are judging me or bad mouthing me. I feel like I have to be perfect or something. I find myself thinking that people think I am stupid or weird or that I am not good enough in some way, like I have to measure up to some ideal people have. I feel very self conscious and anxious around people and I am always worried that I might embarrass myself, my friends, or my family. It's very difficult to enjoy like my cousin's basketball games or parties, and it is very hard to be at work. At work I feel like my customers think I am stupid, that I am ringing them up too slow, that I am goofy, weird, etc. I always feel like my customers, coworkers, and supervisors are constantly judging my every move and that I don't measure up, that I am doing a bad job, and that I am not good enough. I haven't ever had a panic attack at work, or really in any public place but I have been very, very anxious and have come close to panicking a time or two. I have a hard time even at family get togethers for holidays, birthdays, etc. I never really knew why I felt the things I was feeling in these types of situations, I had other issues and stresses that overshadowed the social anxiety feelings. Between being depressed, having irritable bowel syndrome, and generally being stressed at work and having bad relationships and old issues with some family members, the fact that I was feeling this anxiety in these situations was not obvious to me. I think I also kind of tried to suppress those anxiety feelings so that I could appear to be OK, so I could get through these situations without succumbing to a panic attack. I have always felt different from other people because of the abusive childhood I had and because of the problems I had that were eventually diagnosed as ADHD. I have so many different issues going on that this social phobia thing kind of got buried under them. Now it is making it very difficult for me to be at work and I have a hard time going places where I am going to be with a lot of people. I can't really enjoy myself when I am in social situations, when I am around people I just want to run and hide, I can't stand it. I feel very scared and extremely uncomfortable when I am in social situations, like at a family dinner, at work, at a basketball game, etc. It's not as bad at school or at concerts (like when I went to see the Backstreet Boys) but it is still there and it still makes it difficult to enjoy myself. I don't know what to do, I am feeling like I am at the end of my rope. My anxiety level is the highest it's been in my life and this social anxiety thing is just one way I am struggling with anxiety right now. Please help!!! :(

#2 arigrace

arigrace
  • Members
  • 82 posts

Posted 30 January 2009 - 09:47 PM

so sorry about your troubles i wish i had something helpful to say.
just remember that even though you think everyone is judging you a lot of people are to focused on themselves to really do that. they are worried that you might judge them.

lots of hugs :bighug: :bighug: :bighug:

arigrace

Edited by arigrace, 30 January 2009 - 09:48 PM.

#3 stuckin neutral

stuckin neutral
  • Inactive
  • 190 posts
  • Location:iowa, usa. cornfields thats about all here, i hate it!

Posted 31 January 2009 - 08:54 PM

i dont really have social anxiety, but i do have get anxiety attacks. you might try the herb, kratom, thats helped me some when i have to go out and have the anxiety bad. like yesterday i had to take the car in, and had the anxiety with the stuttering speech before i left. it at least helped me to go and get it done. more infor on it at thekratomforum.com i know pple there that have social anxiety and they say it helps them, brings them out more socially and able to be around pple. anxiety in any form is awful to deal with, ive had it so bad, i became almost agoraphobic. im a little better now, but just depends. best wishes.

#4 Sunshineinmyface

Sunshineinmyface

Wiki Queen

• Board Moderator
  • 10,092 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 31 January 2009 - 09:45 PM

((((((Sobs09)))))))