Photo

Does anyone here binge eat?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 escapewithmovies

escapewithmovies
  • Members
  • 6 posts
  • Interests:Movies movies movies, unfortunately food namely cake, men which is also unfortunate, and did I mention movies? LoL

Posted 22 January 2009 - 04:56 AM

I'm in a vicious cycle. I'm over 200 pounds for the first time in almost 3 years. I eat like crazy all my life and I can't stop. Every night I ask god please help me

#2 kirsty777

kirsty777
  • Members
  • 826 posts
  • Flag:
  • Interests:Listening to music, pottering about when can be bothered ;) reading, spending time with friends, BtB and facebk! Comedies, good food and cuddles

Posted 22 January 2009 - 06:06 AM

Hi Scape

Yep I can go on massive binges when im upset/depressed, its worse now that im on my second week of giving up smoking I have massive cravings for cake and find it so hard to resisit and i can see my face getting fatter by the day, I hate it. One thing I do find when I follow a healthy diet, and I dont mean crash dieting but eating healthy is that I can sustain it as long as I keep away from all sweet things, as soon as I have a chocolate bar im screwed because I then want more..it's a vicious cycle really. But its like when I binge eat it kinda numbs all the other difficult feelings and shifts my focus onto how greedy ive been, when really I should try and sit with the difficult feelings rather than binge, but easier said than done!
I just wanted to really share that I know what you're going through, please feel free to pm me if you want to chat further
hugs
Kirsty

#3 RWigram

RWigram
  • Members
  • 1,435 posts
  • Flag:
  • Interests:Scrabble-History-Reading-Baseball-Football

Posted 22 January 2009 - 10:04 AM

Hey Kirstie and Escape,

I know what both of you are going through here but have no answers. I responded in some detail to the other new thread on the same topic. Just wanted to throw in my understanding and to say that Kirstie, I wouldn't worry too much about the last couple of weeks since you quit smoking. Yesterday was day 1 for me and I bought a HUGE candy bar and mega-bag of MnM's on the way home from work last night.

GL to both of you.

#4 kirsty777

kirsty777
  • Members
  • 826 posts
  • Flag:
  • Interests:Listening to music, pottering about when can be bothered ;) reading, spending time with friends, BtB and facebk! Comedies, good food and cuddles

Posted 22 January 2009 - 12:20 PM

Thanks Darren :?:

#5 BabyBlue

BabyBlue
  • Members
  • 89 posts
  • Interests:Dogs, the Environment, Music

Posted 24 January 2009 - 06:09 AM

Hi folks,
I just want to weigh in on this one...

If food is love then I'm freaking Cupid! I'm also at an all time high weight and I can't see my way around any of the food that's bad for me. Yep, it seems to help with the feelings. When I can't be cavalier anymore about how I feel, I find myself bingeing. The more I eat the faster I find that food fog that leads to sleep - or oblivion - whichever comes first.

At the moment I'm afraid to go to the grocery for fear of what I'll come home with.
There's a problem to avoiding the grocery though - it gives me license to try goodies from the dollar store that I've never had before. Then of course I've set myself up for wanting them again - too.

I'm trying to add some good-for-you stuff to my pre-binge meals so maybe I can at least offset a little of my intake of my binge foods. So far I've collected some fruit. I've yet to eat it, but I have it.

I so relate to what you've said. Hope to share more on this with you as time goes on.
Go to the grocery cautiously and be well,

Blue-

#6 RWigram

RWigram
  • Members
  • 1,435 posts
  • Flag:
  • Interests:Scrabble-History-Reading-Baseball-Football

Posted 24 January 2009 - 12:01 PM

If food is love then I'm freaking Cupid!
I love it. :rotflmao:

I'm trying to add some good-for-you stuff to my pre-binge meals so maybe I can at least offset a little of my intake of my binge foods.

It it too bad you're not able to do that. I had great success once losing 20 lbs by allowing myself to eat whatever I want AFTER I had eaten some healthy stuff. I don't like fruit so I didn't use that, but I found a couple of really high-fiber cereals I liked (at least 5g fiber per serving). Maybe try that?

#7 BabyBlue

BabyBlue
  • Members
  • 89 posts
  • Interests:Dogs, the Environment, Music

Posted 29 January 2009 - 03:25 AM

Guess what! I skewered an apple with an arrow today and ate it! :D
We won't talk about what came afterwards, but it was a help. Thanks so much RWi for the encouragement! That cereal idea sounds good to me.

Kirsty, Escape, how's it going?

Be well,
Blue-

#8 PsychoticButterfly

PsychoticButterfly
  • Members
  • 140 posts
  • Interests:Music, anime, manga, and other fun stuff<br />(ugh, lost interest in those things too..)

Posted 18 February 2009 - 08:09 AM

hi escape.
I used to binge eat, although I think it was because of my depression, the stress and my meds, not the actual BED.
But I know the feeling.
I hated myself so much for eating, but couldn't help myself.
But then I started to throw up and now I'm on the opposite side, with starvation and binging and all those bits.
Just try to find the healthy option.
Hugs

#9 BitterGeek

BitterGeek
  • Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 25 July 2009 - 04:01 PM

I binge eat. Right now I'm on a sugary junk food bender. This usually happens when I'm deeply depressed or stressed out. Which I sad because I've gained back all the weight I've worked hard go get rid of over the past few years.

#10 kewy13

kewy13
  • Members
  • 3,119 posts
  • Flag:
  • Interests:used to be hiking, packing, skiing, anything outdoors. am woking back toward that as i get healthier.

i attend buddhist meditation at a temple nearby.

yoga, bicycling, kayaking, camping, exfoliating, making jewelry, being outdoors.

Posted 26 July 2009 - 06:34 AM

i know it wont always work with depressive binging, but if you can get on a blood sugar stabilizer it could help. i am on one that my nutritionist rx'd and she tested me to see how much i needed. i hardly EVER crave the type of sugar i used to. i still do crave sweets, but now a banana or fruit will suffice.

she told me that often blood sugars drop during depressive episodes. so maybe getting the blood sugar stable is another reason i am improving.

#11 Rach51075

Rach51075
  • Members
  • 215 posts
  • Flag:
  • Interests:When I'm well .... Photography, music, dancing, reading, writing, walking.

Posted 26 July 2009 - 04:14 PM

i know it wont always work with depressive binging, but if you can get on a blood sugar stabilizer it could help. i am on one that my nutritionist rx'd and she tested me to see how much i needed. i hardly EVER crave the type of sugar i used to. i still do crave sweets, but now a banana or fruit will suffice.

she told me that often blood sugars drop during depressive episodes. so maybe getting the blood sugar stable is another reason i am improving.

This is something I think I should try. Although it's not just about the sugar, it's about binging being the only thing that takes away the pain of this miserable illness. I get so angry with myself for doing it, it's like I've lost all control over my eating habits and I hate that! I went through my teenage years and the first half of my twenties with the exact opposite problem, I was frightened of food and starved myself until I was put into hospital a couple of times. In my late twenties I began eating a lot more healthily and then, when my Dad died in September 2007, I just lost control. And I've never got it back. I've gained over 50 pounds since he died and I detest myself for being like this. But I just can't give it up. I look forward to it, I plan it secretly, in the same way I used to plan disposing of food. It's crazy. I hate it!

#12 Sunshineinmyface

Sunshineinmyface

Wiki Queen

• Members
  • 10,092 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 26 July 2009 - 07:54 PM

I binge too and will keep in mind what Kewy said about low blood sugar when depressed. I am like Kirsty, if I have any chocolate or icecream (that has been my downfall lately) in the house I will want to eat it. I too weigh more than I ever have, and it bothers me, but it is a catch-22. I love veggies and fruit. Went to the farmer's market to get some veggies because the veggies and fruit in the store just are not as tastey as they use to be, at least in my mind and mouth. No good place to get summer fruits, except to go looking for someone selling them, which seems scarce around here. Blah blah......wanted to weigh in with my understanding of how difficult it is to stop the bingeing and that I am a binge eater too.