#1 jillie

jillie

Sunbeam

• Root Admin
  • 14,074 posts
  • Flag:
  • Interests:This is it!

Posted 29 July 2008 - 02:32 PM

On 1st August 2008 Beating the Beast will have been open for 6 uninterrupted years!

A few people still here will remember Kaktus first starting the site on Delphiforums, *round of applause for Kaktus!* :yea:

When because of personal reasons she was unable to run it any more Sheila and I took the helm; we moved to Aimoo, and finally our own domain here, over 5 years ago.

Over the years we have seen people come and then go again as they recovered: the site and the people here have been a rock for some to return to, sometimes after years. What hasn't changed, however, has been the unfailing and unjudgemental support that everyone here has selflessly offered to each other over those years. *applause for us all!* :yea:

Beating the Beast is something that we can all be very proud of being part of, and to celebrate we are, of course, having a party!

At the moment I am sworn to secrecy, :zip: but two of our better-known members here have been hatching plans to open a new venue for us all to relax in and enjoy. I am sure they will tell you about it soon!

Jillie, Sheila, Bee and Moderators

#2 Tantalus

Tantalus

Snot pot and Firefox pusher

• Members
  • 6,935 posts
  • Flag:
  • Interests:interesting things

other interesting things

etc

Posted 30 July 2008 - 12:17 AM

Beating the Beast is something that we can all be very proud of being part of, and to celebrate we are, of course, having a party!

At the moment I am sworn to secrecy, :zip: but two of our better-known members here have been hatching plans to open a new venue for us all to relax in and enjoy. I am sure they will tell you about it soon!

Jillie, Sheila, Bee and Moderators

Oh sure! Thanks for spoiling my secret plans of opening "Mr. T's Snotpot and Firefox Emporium"! Now the cat is out of the bag....

#3 sycamore

sycamore
  • Members
  • 1,175 posts
  • Interests:adventure

Posted 30 July 2008 - 01:19 AM

Oh sure! Thanks for spoiling my secret plans of opening "Mr. T's Snotpot and Firefox Emporium"! Now the cat is out of the bag....

There you go again Tant, tooting your own horn...tsk tsk.

#4 Kaktus

Kaktus
  • Members
  • 4,793 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 30 July 2008 - 01:37 AM

Wow. SIX years. Has it been that long?

Sure am glad to have been a part of it. I made alot of good friends here....and internet boyfriends. :P

#5 Sunshineinmyface

Sunshineinmyface

Wiki Queen

• Members
  • 10,092 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 30 July 2008 - 02:14 AM

Ah...I am so glad I have been here for as long as I have and stuck around when high and low, sad and happy. I have never met such a wonderful group of people, scattered all over the world, who nourish and support our BtB community. We have the best the world has to offer. :P Okay, maybe we want a few more things...but hey this is my favorite place to come. :bighug:

The party will be held at S & S Beachside Bar. You should see a post with this title, please do come in and look around. Syc and I have been working around the clock.....come and have a cool drink with us.

I hope you do not open the snot pot near us Tant..... :lol:

:bighug:

Sunshine and Sycamore Sycamore and Sunshine

#6 Guest_ouch_*

Guest_ouch_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 July 2008 - 02:54 AM

:o Did you say six years? WoW!! Wouldn't it be great if we could contact some of our original members who we don't see very often or never at all anymore to come to our party? Off the top of my head I think of Maddie and Barry but there are many many more. It would be like old home week.

Kaktus you've sure grown and moved forward in these past six years. Me not so much. One step forward two steps back. But hey let the partys begin. :!!:

#7 Tantalus

Tantalus

• Members
  • 6,935 posts
  • Flag:

other interesting things

etc

Posted 30 July 2008 - 03:27 AM

I'm just glad this place has been here for me, and everyone else. Hard to believe it's been six years, time flies so fast.

I've found support and advice. Been helped through some rough times, and had some laughs along the way. I've met so many wonderful people over the years, I wouldn't trade my time here for anything,

Thank you Kaktus for starting this place. Thank you Jillie and Sheila for taking over when you were needed. Thanks to all the moderators that have helped out over the years. And thank you everybody for making this a special place.

Here's to many more good years ahead. :ch:

#8 Tantalus

Tantalus

• Members
  • 6,935 posts
  • Flag:

other interesting things

etc

Posted 30 July 2008 - 03:32 AM

I hope you do not open the snot pot near us Tant..... :lol:

LOL Rest easy, I wouldn't dare spoil the scene for you two. Just me and my bizarre sense of humor at work again of course. :P

#9 Ed the chow hound

Ed the chow hound
  • Members
  • 6,338 posts
  • Flag:
  • Interests:depression support, food, friends, dogs, astrology, physics, cosmology, history,

Posted 30 July 2008 - 06:55 AM

Dear Friends,

BTB is the only site on the web that has a group spirit or group soul, it was made from the etheric energy of its founding members plus every BTBer who ever was who posted in this forum.

The combined energy of the group under the wise leadership of the administrators and monitors has allowed us to become a supportive loving cyber family, VIVA BEATING THE BEAST.

It is amazing what a few good people have achieved in a short period of time.

love ya all

Ed the chow hound

:D :o :o :o :o :D

Edited by Ed the chow hound, 30 July 2008 - 07:10 AM.

#10 Laura

Laura
  • Members
  • 1,058 posts
  • Flag:
  • Location:between the click of the light and the start of the dream
  • Interests:Music, reading, friends, wasting hours on the internet. :D

Posted 30 July 2008 - 12:11 PM

Wow! Six years?! Congratulations everybody.

I've been here for just over a year and this place means a lot to me.

Thank you so much to everybody who is or was involved in setting up and running BTB.

Here's to the next six years!

#11 Hangingon

Hangingon

Resident nerd & geeky person

• Root Admin
  • 21,583 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 30 July 2008 - 12:54 PM

I made alot of good friends here....and internet boyfriends. :P

:wm: :?:

Congrats to us all, you guys make this place what it is!

Love

Sheila

#12 winter

winter
  • Members
  • 1,216 posts
  • Flag:
  • Interests:i like people to send me money.
    I know this will never happen
    but i figured it was worth a try

Posted 30 July 2008 - 02:19 PM

happy day to my bestess fwend in the whole of tiny toy land xxxxxxx

#13 NJCat

NJCat
  • Members
  • 3,120 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 30 July 2008 - 02:35 PM

Awesome. I can't believe it's been 6 years either. I hope BtB is here in years to come.
Actually what I hope is: that depression will be cured, and that we rename the site from Beating the Beast to We Beat the Beast and we all still hang out here and have lots of fun. :)

#14 kewy13

kewy13
  • Members
  • 3,119 posts
  • Flag:
  • Interests:used to be hiking, packing, skiing, anything outdoors. am woking back toward that as i get healthier.

i attend buddhist meditation at a temple nearby.

yoga, bicycling, kayaking, camping, exfoliating, making jewelry, being outdoors.

Posted 30 July 2008 - 07:44 PM

this is such a great place. i feel very fortunate to have come across it before trying any other forums! there is so much support for when we are down and simply need an ear or hug, uplift, or pat on the back when doing well. there is fun in "whatever" and the commune (where i am reclining on a beach on a towel drinking a magarita!).

i am so thankful for the wonderful admin, mods, and members who, as jillie pointed out, are so accepting and nonjudgemental. always. i love you all so much and consider you my good friends!! :hug:

xoxoxo
kewy

#15 Cat1985

Cat1985
  • Members
  • 48 posts

Posted 30 July 2008 - 09:26 PM

6 years? That is amazing-just take a second to think about how many people this place has helped. I've only been here a month or so but I hope in another 6 years time I'm still a part of this. Good work guys xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

#16 windcuffer

windcuffer
  • Members
  • 858 posts

Posted 31 July 2008 - 02:03 AM

I haven't been here all that long either, but was very quickly made to feel at home.

My thanks to those before me who have made BtB what it is, and to those now who continue to make it what it is.

This place is one of a kind, just seeing the board come up on my screen can make me feel a little lighter.

Windcuffer

#17 rubenoid

rubenoid
  • Members
  • 3,291 posts

Posted 31 July 2008 - 01:48 PM

Congratulations everyone! This place works because everyone is so supportive, no questions asked, and we embrace a spirit of welcoming.

Thanks Kaktus for getting us going. I remember that crazy fun little board over at Delphi where we were all trying to find our way after needing to find a new home. You made that happen, and everyone here owes you a debt of gratitude. :kiss:

Sheila, Jillie, Bee, and all mods past and present: thank you for giving so selflessly of your time and energy. You embody the true spirit of altruism and compassion, and I can only hope that you continue to get as much as you give.

Long live BtB!

#18 forestfairy

forestfairy
  • Members
  • 1,784 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 31 July 2008 - 04:36 PM

Wow...6 years...thats a long time.

I think it is rare to find a place in cyber-space like BtB where strangers become friends and secrets are shared safely and understood by others around the world. This place has definitely changed a lot for me- its been a place where I have learnt to take risks and trust and let people in...I couldn't have done it without the way things work here with the support of the admin; the mods and the members. I have many, many fond memories of times I have laughed with you all; cried; and just thought deeply about different people's journeys. Its been a life changing journey.
To everyone- ....thanks.... :ch: here's to many more....

#19 sunny

sunny
  • Members
  • 686 posts
  • Flag:
  • Interests:gardening animals

Posted 04 August 2008 - 03:23 AM

not sure how things would have worked out without you....
btb is everything one needs..for help, understanding, assistance ,cheerleading etc..you guys ...just make me cry..and i am not a crier!
Note: i will never be sure of me ..being here ...unless there was you!and there you were.!
luv sunny

#20 Ed the chow hound

Ed the chow hound
  • Members
  • 6,338 posts
  • Flag:
  • Interests:depression support, food, friends, dogs, astrology, physics, cosmology, history,

Posted 04 August 2008 - 08:35 AM

Sunny,

At BTB everybody helps each other that is why it is such a big success.

Love ya heaps

Ed the chow hound

:?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: