#1 Laura

Laura
  • Members
  • 1,058 posts
  • Flag:
  • Location:between the click of the light and the start of the dream
  • Interests:Music, reading, friends, wasting hours on the internet. :D

Posted 09 April 2008 - 10:03 AM

I went to see my GP today, saying that the mental health team in my uni town told me to get a referral to the mental health team here.

He was useless. He couldn't see past my weight, kept going on and on about how my blood pressure was high (of course it was - I was terrified) and wanting to do blood tests to see what my cholesterol is and stuff like that. He didn't ask a single thing about my mood.

I know I'm fat. I don't need to be told it all the time. He had a go at me for not excercising. I'm sure I'd be much more willing to excercise if I could raise the energy and the courage to leave my house.

I don't know what to do. I feel like I've done everything I can and nobody will help me.

I'm scared. I'm at home until October and I feel like I'll have to wait until then for somebody to listen to me. I'm too scared to go back and insist that they refer me to someone. I'm too scared to do anything.

:( I can't hold on that long. I want to give up. I've got nowhere to turn and my mood is just getting worse and worse. All I can think about is dying, but I was hoping that the appointment today would help, I was hoping that something would be done but they're not doing anything.

#2 thesharpestthorn

thesharpestthorn
  • Members
  • 56 posts

Posted 09 April 2008 - 04:27 PM

Is it an option to see a different GP? Or to go directly to a local mental health team without a GP referral?

#3 MikeInVa

MikeInVa
  • Members
  • 59 posts

Posted 09 April 2008 - 09:16 PM

Is it an option to see a different GP? Or to go directly to a local mental health team without a GP referral?

I agree,it's time for you to seek a 2nd opinion from another GP Laura.

#4 kentrocker

kentrocker
  • Members
  • 322 posts

Posted 09 April 2008 - 10:55 PM

I went to see my GP today, saying that the mental health team in my uni town told me to get a referral to the mental health team here.

He was useless. He couldn't see past my weight, kept going on and on about how my blood pressure was high (of course it was - I was terrified) and wanting to do blood tests to see what my cholesterol is and stuff like that. He didn't ask a single thing about my mood.

I know I'm fat. I don't need to be told it all the time. He had a go at me for not excercising. I'm sure I'd be much more willing to excercise if I could raise the energy and the courage to leave my house.

I don't know what to do. I feel like I've done everything I can and nobody will help me.

I'm scared. I'm at home until October and I feel like I'll have to wait until then for somebody to listen to me. I'm too scared to go back and insist that they refer me to someone. I'm too scared to do anything.

:( I can't hold on that long. I want to give up. I've got nowhere to turn and my mood is just getting worse and worse. All I can think about is dying, but I was hoping that the appointment today would help, I was hoping that something would be done but they're not doing anything.

Cant you ask to see another doctor? i know at my local doctors there are 5 doctors and you can see any one of them which is good if you need a second opinion.

I think the way your doctor carried on was wrong. I am a big person but my doctor has never ever caid a word about blood pressure and cholestrol and about my weight and getting excercie.

I am sorry that you had a umplessant visit with your gp.

I believe that if things got worse you could call mental health and they would see you but i am not sure how they work. I am sorry that you are having such a hard time.

(((((Hugs)))))

#5 listener

listener
  • Members
  • 520 posts

Posted 10 April 2008 - 12:35 AM

(((((((((((( Laura )))))))))))

It does sound like he just missed the point... I agree with what the others have said here - please try going to a different doctor if you can, or if you have to, go back to him and explain that you feel things got sidetracked the last time, and that there is a much more urgent problem which you need him to help with.

I have had this same kind of experience with a lot of doctors - especially recently when I went in with my physical injuries, and everyone I saw had a different opinion and 'knew' they were right, and hardly spent any time listening to what I was telling them... Then they would push their form of treatment on me which again wouldn't work - or even suggest that I had no apparent 'reason' to have that pain so it wasn't worth treating, I should just 'live with it'. I agree with you, it's just frustrating and leaves you feeling helpless and disconsolate. Each time I had to struggle to try and shake off the unhelpful and confusing stuff they'd told me, and it took a big effort to gather the courage to go to someone else and try again.

(((((((( Laura ))))))))) Please believe in yourself and don't let someone like this throw you off track. It was really sensible and brave of you to go and see a GP to try and have your health care maintained. I'm just sorry he wasn't more helpful - but it isn't your fault, it's just unfortunately what most people go through with doctors and therapists... It can take a few tries to find someone who understands and who you feel comfortable with.

Listener

#6 windcuffer

windcuffer
  • Members
  • 858 posts

Posted 10 April 2008 - 01:24 AM

((((Laura))))

I can only agree with the others - is it not possible for you to see another gp. The one you saw obviously does not understand the problems you are facing mentally. Either that or try going back (I know it'll take loads of courage) and explain how you feel that exercise is not an option and that you didn't go to see him for a physical problem.

Hope things go well for you

Very best wishes

windcuffer

#7 glassslipper

glassslipper
  • Members
  • 354 posts
  • Flag:
  • Interests:Reading, History, Horror film, most creative things, I think elbows are ugly along with belly buttons, but I love curries, followed by anything chocolate.

Posted 12 April 2010 - 10:23 PM

Hi Laura

Some doctors are useless at one part of their job and good at another. He could be great with Kids or colostomys, but not mental health. He probably focused on your physical health because he can do something about that and feel like a 'doctor', but thats not what you need right now and building up the courage to go and the waiting seems interminable, so I understand why you are dissapointed, but please dont let it stop you looking. When I asked for help the first doctor I went to see told me to 'go away and eat properly'!! I cant type what I screamed at my mother when I got outside, she was the one who forced me to go and see him in the first place, and she knew I always hated him. Had more rings than Liberace and more ego than Naomi Campbell. It busted me looking for another doc for months, which didnt do me any good, so dont make that mistake keep trying for another doc. Or some sort of self help group, quite often word of mouth is best.

Get the referral off him for the Mental Health Team or get it from another Doctor, there would be no harm in calling the MHT direct and asking their advice and maybe telling them that he wasnt helpful or maybe he had a bad day like we all do and totally missed the point.

You probably have done everything,but not with the right people, so you need to just try a little longer, dont let these pillocks put you off getting what you need.

Its hard to get motivated when you are low, but just push yourself for five minutes to make a phone call or email. You will find someone to help you, you need to let them know you exist.

I have a friend who is morbidly obese and she and I talk a lot cos we have similar issues. She went to this one doctor and she sat down, straight away he told her she was 'morbidly obese and needed to diet' and 'do you know you should expercise?' and 'cut down on fattening foods?', she said somat to the effect of 'No effin shit, doc', if you hadnt have told me that, I'd never have known'! I wonder if they were the same doc? She walked out and got herself another doc.

You dont have to to wait until October, get to see someone else, a self help group, some organisation you can phone, a decent tutor that is trustworthy, in the meantime you have here, just push yourself for five minutes a day and start making contact. With health its rather like any other service, 'he who shouts loudest, gets served first', make yourself known, letter, phone or email, all three, make them get you help by never letting them forget you are wating, impatiently waiting, but you are waiting.

Let me know how you get on and dont you dare give up!!

Maria x

Edited by glassslipper, 12 April 2010 - 10:28 PM.