Ambien a prescribed beast

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 five star reject

five star reject
  • Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 29 August 2007 - 04:43 AM

I was prescribed Ambien to assist me in sleeping when needed. I had not been aware of this medication and being that this was the first of two medications I was prescribed to treat on going depression symptoms, I didn't think I needed an depth synopsis of the possible side effects. Now I know. I thought that I was suppose to take one pill a night for sleep every night. "Take one pill a night at bedtime as needed for sleep". This misunderstanding could have been corrected if when I called in to have the doctor authorize a refill, he could have denied it then. Apparently he's not always consulted for a narcotic hypnotic refill request that I had refilled four times before understanding what I just got myself into.

Yesterday I was referred to the psychiatric ward of a local hospital to commit myself for detox. How did this happen? I thought I was heading on the right track for not fearing medication and not fearing a doctors advice. Now I'm on my way to a hospital? Granted the withdraw symptoms are not something I'd like to ever go through again... I slept about 6 hrs in 4 days... my blood pressure and heart rate are sky high, my eyes are bloodshot and swollen, i have the dark sunk in look around my eyes, I shake and sweat like I'm on speed. Now I'm addicted to ambien. I do not crave the drug or the effects of the drug concisely. I have not had previous addictions to any drugs or alcohol. I don't smoke. I'm just sitting here in pain because some nurse gave me the okay to poison myself. I have an engineering job testing software for a media company. I have a home, a wife and a child to care for. Things were finally going my way and then BAM... right in the face. I started school again last week, I was high on freaking life then. Now I'm hoping I will be able to focus on these courses + family + work + dealing with this new set of mental issues. I'm not trying to say I'm the only one with problems, hell, I'm almost fully satisfied with how life has been treating me but did this really need to happen. I didn't do this to myself. ARG! So now I'm off to fight another hellish battle on my own against a beast I have yet to fully assess. I'm sharpening my swords.

#2 bbaylor

bbaylor
  • Members
  • 345 posts

Posted 31 August 2007 - 02:57 AM

(((five star reject)))

Detox sucks. I've never had to break myself of ambien so I don't know what your in for. I take it on occasion but never more than two nights in a row. An educated guess is one week of hell and a couple more weeks of feeling like crap. Without an addicts brain, at least you wont get the mental cravings. I think checking yourself in is a good move. The body puts up a hell of a fight when when you screw with its chemistry like that.

Best of luck,

brent

#3 five star reject

five star reject
  • Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 01 September 2007 - 06:23 AM

(((five star reject)))

Detox sucks. I've never had to break myself of ambien so I don't know what your in for. I take it on occasion but never more than two nights in a row. An educated guess is one week of hell and a couple more weeks of feeling like crap. Without an addicts brain, at least you wont get the mental cravings. I think checking yourself in is a good move. The body puts up a hell of a fight when when you screw with its chemistry like that.

Best of luck,

brent

Thanks Brent.
It has been one hell of a week this far. I ended up not checking myself in. Its been very hard to really do too much of anything. I don't really feel like I can talk to anyone about it because I fear that they will just assume that I'm lying or the desperation for the drug is making me tell lies for whatever reason. To top it off my wife is bi-polar and says that my problems are stressing her so she can't listen or really support me too much. I understand her reasoning but I'm now diagnosed with Schizoaffective Disorder. I can't eat, sleep or really communicate to anyone because it just comes out sounding like I'm completely evolved with myself and have no cares for anything else. As much as it isn't my personality and pains me to agree with that... it's true right now. I'm trying so hard to setup so many different goals and have so many thoughts constantly that its really wearing me down. me me me III.... eh, I'll stop bitching and get back to my obsessive tendencies now. Thanks for listening/reading...