Alcohol

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 happy_but_alone

happy_but_alone
  • Members
  • 80 posts

Posted 03 May 2007 - 08:17 PM

I know i drink to much and been told many a time about it by friends / girlfriends. I went 2 weeks recently with out a drink but then the doctor told me im depressed and i retreated back into my world of not been blind drunk but in a state where i feel "happy" and more relaxed. A time when i dont worry so much about stupid things
I know i should give up drinking cans at home and stick to drinks in bars when i go out ocassionaly but at the moment a few cans and meds are helping me survive. I have been total idiot on ocassions with drinking too much and said things i didnt mean the next day, but at the time it just felt like "it had to come out on how i honestly feel"
What i am concerned about is that once in a while for no apparent reason i will go over the top and drink as much as i can and actually be in such a state i will collapse- that aint good and that worries me a few days later.
L.P

#2 NJCat

NJCat
  • Members
  • 3,120 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 04 May 2007 - 03:01 AM

((((LP))))

I don't have many words for you but wanted to let you know I read your post and am thinking of you. Please be good to yourself .....

- Carol

#3 Eleven

Eleven
  • Members
  • 86 posts
  • Interests:Horses, photography, writing terrible poetry, website and graphic design.

Posted 25 June 2007 - 08:21 AM

I love alcohol. I drink mostly at home alone, because I know in company I am way too opinionated and say a lot of shit I regret.
I think drinking until you pass out is certainly something to be worried about. Are you getting any kind of councilling? Perhaps bringing this up with a councillor will help you to deal with it with someone who can help support you.

Eleven

#4 untitled

untitled
  • Members
  • 27 posts
  • Interests:Contemporary abstract art. Literature. music. Philosophy. meditation. classic cars. Reliant Robin. Bichon Frise

Posted 13 July 2007 - 10:48 PM

I know i drink to much and been told many a time about it by friends / girlfriends. I went 2 weeks recently with out a drink but then the doctor told me im depressed and i retreated back into my world of not been blind drunk but in a state where i feel "happy" and more relaxed. A time when i dont worry so much about stupid things
I know i should give up drinking cans at home and stick to drinks in bars when i go out ocassionaly but at the moment a few cans and meds are helping me survive. I have been total idiot on ocassions with drinking too much and said things i didnt mean the next day, but at the time it just felt like "it had to come out on how i honestly feel"
What i am concerned about is that once in a while for no apparent reason i will go over the top and drink as much as i can and actually be in such a state i will collapse- that aint good and that worries me a few days later.
L.P

Hi, I empathize with you as I too had a problem with alcohol. It's very true that drinking to the point where you feel "relaxed" and "happy"seems harmless as long as you don't go over the top. If you have recently been diagnosed with depression you may feel that alcohol makes your problems seem less important and/or less real. However, alcohol and anti-depressants don't mix. most antidepressants will be canceled out if you drink whilst taking them.
Also, the amount you drink to get you to the point where you feel "relaxed" will increase with time, so that you will need more and more. That's when things get really out of hand.
You could end up needing massive amounts of alcohol just to survive. I have seen this happen and believe me, it is a total waste of life.
I don't know how long you've been taking the medication but most anti-depressants take a few weeks before they start to have any effect. Try and keep off the alcohol as much as you can and give them time to work. If you do this, you should start to feel much better. You sound like you have a lot of mental energy which you could channel into something creative rather than waste it by being verbally aggressive towards your friends etc.
I went through a similar situation a few years ago so I know what you're going through, but now I express myself through art. (abstract painter).
I hope this is some help to you. -Keep posting-

Edited by untitled, 13 July 2007 - 10:50 PM.

#5 bbaylor

bbaylor
  • Members
  • 345 posts

Posted 24 July 2007 - 03:47 AM

I'm a raging alcoholic, I even go so far as to introduce myself as that in AA meetings. When i drink, I drink to get drunk and i have little control over how much I take in once I start. I've been on the water wagon for 15 months now. life is a lot better for it. Don't get me wrong, I'm still an emotional train wreck but the depression is easier to control now. Meds work better, my thinking is more clear, life has more quality than it used to.

I'll tell you some things I've learned about alcoholism but please don't get the impression that I think your one. I'm not a shrink and the only true authority on that diagnosis is the alcoholic himself. These are just things I know to be true for me and that you might find insightful.

If you think you have a drinking problem, you have a problem. The thought just never crosses the mind of a "normal" drinker. Alcoholic, heavy drinker or even just self medicating it's something that needs to be addressed. Of the alcies I know about half think they were just born that way and the other half think they developed it by drinking too much. Left unchecked it will probably get worse.

Alcoholism is a progressive disease. people with years of sobriety slip up and are drinking as much as they used to within a few weeks. We don't start over, we pick up where we left off. I know this one first hand. This isn't my first attempt at sobering up. To date 18 months is my record out of four honest attempts. I've been around AA on and off for close to a decade now and I've never seen an exception to that rule.

For me at least, alcoholism and depression are two heads of the same beast. If i loose control of one the other will follow. Treating just one is not an option.

Alcoholism can be managed. I've seen a lot of drunks that are trying not to drink and some of them succeed. In AA I know people that drank like I did and haven't touched the stuff for decades. Some people find religion. some people trade it for a healthier addiction. Therapy works well for some people. Theres a lot of ways to quit if your truly motivated to do so.

I hope I didn't preach at you to much. You said;

for no apparent reason i will go over the top and drink as much as i can and actually be in such a state i will collapse

It's a hell of a statement for someone like me to hear. I took that road and never really got off of it. If i take one drink today I'll be doing that exact same thing tomorrow. I fought like a Comanche to get these 15 months, I hope you never have to do the same. Please seek help.

brent