13 replies to this topic

#1 Hangingon

Hangingon

Resident nerd & geeky person

• Root Admin
  • 21,583 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 15 September 2006 - 11:28 PM

Recently new software has become available that has allowed us to set up a wiki here at the forum, and we are very keen to try this out and see where it goes!

First of all, “What is a wiki?” I hear you ask. Well, it is a form of knowledge base where anyone may write or edit articles. Many of you may well already at least use Wikipedia, for example. All the articles to be found there are a result of this sort of collaboration.

One great advantage of our wiki is that it uses the bbcode syntax that we are used to here at BtB, there is no need to learn a new format. It is fully integrated into the board, so you don’t need to go to another address or reregister. Posting articles there is as easy as writing a normal post.

How should the wiki be used?

We would like the wiki to become an area where we can build up good quality articles about different aspects of depression and related disorders, with the idea that it will become an easily searchable knowledge base for those seeking information. Especially in certain areas of the forum, such as Medication and Therapy the same questions tend to get asked again over time. This way the considerable knowledge and experience of the BtB membership can work together to provide definitive information on various subjects. The wiki format allows older articles to be edited and brought up to date in a very simple way.

What can I write about?

The answer here is about anything that you think is relevant to depression, so that leaves a pretty wide field. We have set up a Medication Category ready for use: because meds are so complicated we felt it was a good idea to structure this category, so you will find many drug names already entered, ready to be written about! We are very keen to have med information here that is perhaps not available elsewhere on the net.

There is also a Therapy category. You may wish to write about different types of therapy, either information you have found in research, or your own experiences…..feel free!

Our third category is simply called ‘Other’. This is because the wiki belongs to everyone here, and we want you to have the opportunity to write articles about whatever YOU want to. Once we know what direction the contributions are going in we can create new categories to house them. We want to leave you free to explore the depression related subjects that interest you.

The fourth category is 'Related Disorders' which can range from Boerderline Personality, Bipolar, Anxiety, OCD and all the others.

How do I get started?

The wiki will be visible to everyone, but to avoid pranks we have decided that those who wish to contribute will need to contact us at admin@beatingthebeast.com and we will give you authors’ access.

When you write an article it will be published straight away (be careful to fill in which category it should go in at the top of the text box). If you edit or add to an existing article then this revision will be queued until approved for entry by Admin or Mods. This is a security measure. Should you make a revision and decide you don’t wish to publish it after all, just let us know, as there is always a roll-back version of the article we can revert to.

Finally, the wiki is intended for original work only. Should you need to refer to other material please credit it.

We do hope that you have a lot of fun and satisfaction with this. We are all very excited to see where it goes, as this is a completely new direction for forums. The wiki will be as good as you all make it.

Love

Sheila, Jillie, Deb and Moderators

#2 jillie

jillie

Sunbeam

• Root Admin
  • 14,074 posts
  • Flag:
  • Interests:This is it!

Posted 16 September 2006 - 02:18 PM

Yay, please go and have a look at the wiki - the link is on the bar above. Click on some categories, search for a med, and above all, feel free to write something!

To get wiki author status please pm Sheila or I, or email us at admin@beatingthebeast.com - until you do that you will have read only status.

love Jillie xxxxxx

#3 marga

marga
  • Members
  • 1,377 posts
  • Flag:
  • Interests:Music & singing, reading, creative writing, poetry, mental health issues, foreign languages, my pets.

Posted 16 September 2006 - 02:51 PM

Yay! :D Thanks to both of you for setting this up. I'm off to Paris tomorrow, but I'll make a start on my self harm article when I get back.

#4 Tallulah

Tallulah
  • Members
  • 2,986 posts
  • Interests:Sleeping

Posted 16 September 2006 - 09:36 PM

I've started my article on autism, but it's not finished yet. I've finished 4 sections out of 6, and the 6th is really easy, so I'm nearly there.

#5 Hangingon

Hangingon

• Root Admin
  • 21,583 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 21 September 2006 - 02:32 PM

I've added a half dozen articles in there under forum information.

Come on guys, don't be shy.... Request your Wiki author status and get writing!

Love

Sheila

#6 verysadcat

verysadcat
  • Members
  • 4,181 posts
  • Flag:
  • Interests:none. I hate everything.

Posted 21 September 2006 - 06:00 PM

Sheila,

is there a way to submit a powerpoint presentation??? I have a really nice report that I did on Bipolar for my anatomy class last year that has a lot of good information in it.

Di

#7 Hangingon

Hangingon

• Root Admin
  • 21,583 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 21 September 2006 - 06:26 PM

Hmmm,

I don't think we can attach it in the Wiki, BUT, that said, I could host it here at BTB on the main site if you send me the file. If you wanted to do a Bipolar write up and add the link to the presentation, that would be most excellent!!!!! :D I can also add a link to the powerpoint viewer so anyone can see it without needing to have powerpoint.

Sound good?

Love

Sheila

#8 verysadcat

verysadcat
  • Members
  • 4,181 posts
  • Flag:
  • Interests:none. I hate everything.

Posted 21 September 2006 - 07:52 PM

thanks!!

I've e-mailed the PP to you. I think I'll grab my old notes and try to put together an actual written report for the Wiki -- hell it'll give me a good excuse to avoid my homework! :P

hugs,
Di

#9 Tallulah

Tallulah
  • Members
  • 2,986 posts

Posted 23 September 2006 - 08:42 PM

I think I have finished what I want to write about autistic spectrum conditions.

Can someone read it over before I actually submit it please?

It's currently a Word document that I can attach to an email.

#10 jillie

jillie

Sunbeam

• Root Admin
  • 14,074 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 23 September 2006 - 08:58 PM

Tallulah,

I am quite happy to read it for typos, spelling or grammar mistakes if you want.

jillie@beatingthebeast.com

love Jillie xxxxx

#11 Tallulah

Tallulah
  • Members
  • 2,986 posts

Posted 23 September 2006 - 09:12 PM

I'm fairly confident of the grammar, etc. It's just that all the reading and stuff I've done lately, I want to check it's suitable for people who don't (yet) know anything about it. And I want to check I haven't gone crazy on the footnotes, but I also need to make sure everything is backed up.

#12 romanoff

romanoff
  • Members
  • 2,197 posts
  • Interests:current events, politics, history, philosophy, science, baseball, Rock & Roll.

Posted 06 October 2006 - 05:40 AM

:bump:

#13 jillie

jillie

Sunbeam

• Root Admin
  • 14,074 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 15 October 2006 - 07:37 PM

Our Wiki is growing!

To date:

A number of articles from Sheila about how to use the forum and your own security on your computer (Forum Information)

An article about Autistic Spectrum conditions and how they can tie in with mood disorders from Tallulah (Associated Disorders)

A number of articles about CBT and DBT from Sunshine in my Face (Therapy Folder)

Thanks to contributors so far. I recommend settling down with a cup of coffee and having a browse around - there is a lot of interesting information there.

If you should wish to publish anything yourself then please let Sheila or myself know, and we will give you 'author's access to the Wiki.

All depression related contributions welcome!

love Jillie xxxxx

#14 Hangingon

Hangingon

• Root Admin
  • 21,583 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 13 October 2008 - 11:02 AM

:bump: