Effexor & cold medicine

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 lithiumguy

lithiumguy
  • Members
  • 246 posts

Posted 27 September 2005 - 01:11 PM

Can I take cold medicine / decongestants whilst also taking effexor?

Thanks,
Chris

#2 Sunshineinmyface

Sunshineinmyface

Wiki Queen

• Board Moderator
  • 10,092 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 28 September 2005 - 01:07 AM

I have done that for sinuses cold med and lithium and did not have adverse reaction. I took both before bed when I could get 8 to 9 hours of sleep.

But that is me someone else could be different. Can you call crisis line or dr's office even if only talk to nurse or even if nurse says have to run by dr. and it takes all day to do?

supposedly I took lithium cause one parent had been diagnosed with bipolar mental illness during divorce proceeding when that one parent did not choose or want to be on mental ward and choose to act what they said was wierd to me when they got out and tried to assure me they were okay by calling house until ran out of change because parent in home with me kept physically taking phone from me and hanging up on advice from their attorney......sorry off topic.......1st pdoc said lithium would work a age 18 1st notice of depression and seeing pdoc and I believed that and it did seem to work and when I was off was only when had depression occur and took lithium for years....all through college and beyond to age 26 when pdoc started seeing in college who is pyschiatrist and pyscopharmacology degree beyond pyschiatrist.........sudied in addion specifically meds effect on body and drugs (street to ) on mi people and not mi people. pyscopharmacollagist said lithium did not help me and did not convince me to get off lituium until 26. was okay with ad's.

#3 curlygirl05

curlygirl05
  • Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 28 September 2005 - 08:19 PM

am a scuba diver who also took Effexor for depresion. Have sucessfully taken Sudafed (most types) while on effexor anti depressants because had a cold and wanted to go diving!! no side effects noticed!

If unsure call your doc. or the out of hours medical support line for your area.

Hope you feel better soon!!

#4 Tallulah

Tallulah
  • Members
  • 2,986 posts
  • Interests:Sleeping

Posted 28 September 2005 - 09:41 PM

I think this is safe. It's some of the older antidepressants that don't mix well with decongestants (I think MAOIs, but don't quote me on that). If Efexor causes you to have a dry mouth, a decongestant will make this worse. But if you have a cold, you should be drinking plenty of water anyway (hint hint).

You can always check with your doctor or pharmacist. If you're in the UK, NHS Direct may also be able to help.

#5 Hangingon

Hangingon

Resident nerd & geeky person

• Root Admin
  • 21,567 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 29 September 2005 - 02:09 AM

(I think MAOIs, but don't quote me on that).

Too late, I quoted you on that. :P

Yup, it's usually MAOI's that don't mix with cold meds....... it usually will tell you right on the box and always ask the pharmacist who can tell you what you can and can't take.

Love

Sheila