Anti-malaria

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Kittenthing

Kittenthing
  • Members
  • 1,444 posts

Posted 05 July 2006 - 11:18 PM

I wasn't sure where to put this so it's in here. Has anyone had any experience with them? I just realised that I might have to take them when I go to China this time and I'll be in the south. Poo. I have heard they are pretty nasty. Is this true? Will they make me more crazy? Will they go with my other meds?

:?

#2 cerulean flame

cerulean flame
  • Members
  • 2,114 posts
  • Flag:
  • Interests:watching Animals, playing with animals, fixing animals and drawing animals. Badminton (generally without the animals)

Posted 06 July 2006 - 12:17 AM

i took doycycline when i went to africa and that was fine with my meds. the only side effects i had were vomiting if i didn't take it with a meal and lots of water and being slightly more prone to getting sunburnt than mornal ( not the best when i was in the middle of a desert). i think some people become very photosensitive on it

some of the people i was with were on larium ( i think) and they had some very vivid strange dreams on it. i know that the reason i wasn't on it was because of the i already have a history of mental health problems and it has been knw to make people depressed and occasionally psychotic i think so it might be best to avoid that one,

i don't really know anything about the others

hope this helps

jen

#3 marga

marga
  • Members
  • 1,377 posts
  • Flag:
  • Interests:Music & singing, reading, creative writing, poetry, mental health issues, foreign languages, my pets.

Posted 06 July 2006 - 09:16 AM

I've been to the Caribbean twice, where the recommended antimalarial is chloroquine. Unfortunately I had an allergic reaction to it. It wasn't anything serious, but my lip swelled up a little, which meant I had to stop taking them to be on the safe side.

So I took proguanil instead, both times, and I don't think I got any side effects at all.

#4 Kittenthing

Kittenthing
  • Members
  • 1,444 posts

Posted 07 July 2006 - 11:47 PM

Oh dear. I already get sunburnt very easily and also have vivid and bizarre dreams! I think I will make them give me the one Marga said!

Thanks for your responses, guys

xxx

#5 crick

crick
  • Members
  • 321 posts

Posted 08 July 2006 - 06:04 AM

All medical pros told me that deet was the best precautionary method....About the two types, I was told that it depends on where you're going what type of med is needed;for that type of malaria. I have them, but can't be of any help cuz I haven't traveled to the jungle yet, so need for them in the highlands here.
BTW, I was told that 25% deet in bug repellent was all that was needed....any more is ineffective and just costs more money.
Hope it helps a bit.
Love
Linda

#6 Kittenthing

Kittenthing
  • Members
  • 1,444 posts

Posted 31 July 2006 - 09:26 PM

I finally got them today. I was given Doxycycline so I must be more careful in the sun. I have my 50% deet repellent and anything with less, does absolutely nothing for me. I can't believe I must take them for four weeks after I get back too. That's very annoying.