4 replies to this topic

#1 drgnfly

drgnfly
  • Validating
  • 901 posts
  • Flag:
  • Interests:Art, Books, Sleeping

Posted 30 September 2010 - 06:34 PM

I have homework from my therapist this week that I think is a good idea for all of us suffering from depression or bipolar. Maybe you've already thought of this and I'm just behind, but I thought I'd mention it.

I've been struggling a lot over the past few weeks. Last night was an eye opener. My hubs is working nights at a new job, I get nervous being in the house alone with the kiddos at night. I thought that I should have a hand gun, I used to have one when I lived in the country with my ex. I realized that I can not safely have one in the house, could probably never have one again. I'm scared that I could get to a point that I would use it. How have I gotten to this point?? But back to my therapy session..

I am to set up an emergency plan with my hubs. I will set up a scale from 1 - 10 to gauge my level of depression. If I tell him that I am in a certain range, he will know that it is an emergency and to call my therapist. If it is past that point, he is to take me to the hospital. I think this is a simple but brilliant idea that we could set up with anyone in our lives that we trust.

#2 jillie

jillie

Sunbeam

• Root Admin
  • 14,074 posts
  • Flag:
  • Interests:This is it!

Posted 30 September 2010 - 06:58 PM

((((Drgnfly))))))

I think this makes perfect sense and is a really good idea. Describing just how we feel is well nigh impossible sometimes, so a simple scale is far more practical.

Thanks for the tip!

love Jillie xxxxxx

#3 Hangingon

Hangingon

Resident nerd & geeky person

• Root Admin
  • 21,583 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 01 October 2010 - 08:53 AM

I will set up a scale from 1 - 10 to gauge my level of depression. If I tell him that I am in a certain range, he will know that it is an emergency and to call my therapist. If it is past that point, he is to take me to the hospital. I think this is a simple but brilliant idea that we could set up with anyone in our lives that we trust.

I think it`s a fantastic idea!!! Sometimes when we get so far down, words become harder and harder and we tend to isolate more. Blurting out a number is a lot easier than having to say "I think I need to go to the hospital now."

I hope more take on this idea!!!

Love

Sheila

#4 natoking

natoking
  • Members
  • 408 posts
  • Interests:Boating, biking, music, conversation, world affairs, politics, love and sex.<br /><br />I am a graphic artist.

Posted 14 October 2010 - 11:45 PM

Good ideas. No gun and a number system. Sounds like you have a really good trusted husband and therapist.

Best to you Dragonfly. Just like golf scores, I hope yours gets lower and lower.

Bob

#5 mkrs

mkrs
  • Members
  • 70 posts
  • Flag:
  • Interests:Art, Music, Film, Animation, Travel

Posted 22 November 2010 - 06:08 PM

Sorry for the month old reply :P But I really think this one's a great idea! Simple but really effective :)