A postcard from france

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 foggyfrogeater

foggyfrogeater
  • Members
  • 210 posts
  • Flag:
  • Interests:Music,(exept country and western)
    Film,(expet the scary ones) Cats (all sorts) Art (Ivan Bilibin, Mucha, Hokusai, William Morris, etc) Style, Houses and Gardens of the Arts and Crafts movement. Knitting

Posted 15 March 2013 - 09:12 AM

So I've been in France now for more than a year. I'm getting a handle on the language and have made some friends. This week has unexpectedly turned out to be a very big one for me. I have put in an offer on a house here. There are many pro's and con's to it all but I like the house and the area and I've had a very happy year here. Ok I've had a few days when I've woken up and thought 'oh my god how will i ever manage' and gone back to feeling overwhelmed but even on those days I can now look at them as they are happening and realise that yes it is a crap day and maybe I'm even going to have a few but sooner or later I'm going to feel okay again.

The other reason it is a big week for me is because I realised that It may be possible for me to transfer the credits I earned at University to the Open University and get a degree. It's not for certain because I have to go through loads of hoops and there is still a chance that they won't accept my previous credits. But I started the process by contacting the University that took over the college I attended (and then shut it down for being crap) and have requested a copy of my academic transcripts. At first I thought that I'd have to go over to Ireland again and see if I can dig out relevant paperwork from mum's attic (an exhausting and very expensive task to say the least) but then I discovered, after many phone calls, that you can now order such things online!  This is the first time since I left collage that I have even been able to think that I might be able to achieve such a thing. 

Learning French here has made me realise that I'm not as stupid as I think I am. I'm getting along faster than any other student in the history of the school so I think that I may have finally got a handle on how to do the study thing with out getting overwhelm. I just have to keep taking it a little at a time and try not to think of the enormity of the task of doing a degree. I also like the way with the OU they let you do something called an Open degree where you can pick and choose what you want to study. In theory I could avoid mathematics like the plague if I wanted to. 

I took an online test the other day to see how far my french has progressed since I arrive it was just a basic test but I got 100% for speaking,  98% listing, 86% reading and 42 Writing. so given that I have dyslexia and have trouble writing in my own language I thought that over all that was not bad scores. 

Megan Is doing well. This week had her second birthday. She is still as wonderful as the day I got her. not a single regret there. 

So that's the news for now. can hardly believe that I'm even thinking about doing all this crazy stuff. 

Foggy

#2 Marvin42

Marvin42
  • Members
  • 240 posts
  • Interests:Staying alive

Posted 25 March 2013 - 12:23 AM

Trés bon, Foggy.  Oui, je know that's the wrong accent over le e, but je couldn't figure out how to make my Mac do the right un.  Quel domage... Bon chance, Foggy.