• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 itwillsoonbeover

itwillsoonbeover
  • Members
  • 9 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 29 October 2011 - 04:03 PM

I don't think head pounding is really related to self harm in the sense that it can be addicting. I do it out of frustration and also to make my mind stop going over the same hurtful events over and over for hours on end. Does anybody else do this or have any thoughts on my head pounding?

Shirley

#2 Hangingon

Hangingon

Resident nerd & geeky person

• Root Admin
  • 21,583 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 30 October 2011 - 01:34 PM

Self-harm (SH) or deliberate self-harm (DSH) includes self-injury (SI) and self-poisoning and is defined as the intentional, direct injuring of body tissue most often done without suicidal intentions. These terms are used in the more recent literature in an attempt to reach a more neutral terminology. The older literature, especially that which predates the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders (DSM-IV-TR), almost exclusively refers to self-mutilation. The term is synonymous with "self-injury".[1][2][3] The most common form of self-harm is skin-cutting but self-harm also covers a wide range of behaviors including, but not limited to, burning, scratching, banging or hitting body parts, interfering with wound healing, hair-pulling (trichotillomania) and the ingestion of toxic substances or objects.

Taken from Wikipedia http://en.wikipedia....Klonsky07_JCP-5

Generally speaking, SI is done to block out emotional pain and frustrations rather than allowing oneself to feel that emotional pain.

Be gentle with yourself and maybe try to allow yourself to feel more.

Love

Sheila

#3 Judithemu

Judithemu
  • Members
  • 1,178 posts

Posted 30 October 2011 - 08:27 PM

Hi Shirley,

Trying to stop the thoughts is something I do too. I try and make the mental pain physical, I hit my head against things, and more than anything else, I pull my hair. I am just trying to take my head apart. I'm afraid I think it is self-harm. I have never talked to anyone else about it myself, I am pretty much in denial about it. I'm always afraid people may misinterpret it. I want to cause myself pain without doing anything too serious. When there is no constructive outlet fr the frustration, sometimes the destructive has to do,

Hang on in there, you aren't alone and sometimes knowing that is a bit of a help.

love Jude

#4 itwillsoonbeover

itwillsoonbeover
  • Members
  • 9 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 30 October 2011 - 09:48 PM

Thanks for the replies Jude and Sheila. I did this quite a lot in my younger years but in time simply learned to not feel anything emotionally. Actually I didn't "learn" that. It just happened to me over a period of time and shit happening. Now that I think of it I think it started during my childhood when lots and lots of shit happened. Now all I want is, like my nick says, for it to "be over." And it will.

Don't take that as a threat. It's just that my age coupled with some serious health issues dictates that it will and I can't wait.

Shirley