• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 jude

jude
  • Members
  • 173 posts
  • Interests:working out

Posted 26 April 2006 - 11:36 PM

How do you all go about finding the right combination? Does a doctor recomment them to you. How long do you try them before you make a decision whether they are effective or not? THis strikes me as something new---mixing meds, like a coctail. It was hard enough finding the right dosage for one med. Please help.

#2 verysadcat

verysadcat
  • Members
  • 4,181 posts
  • Flag:
  • Interests:none. I hate everything.

Posted 27 April 2006 - 01:28 AM

I can only speak from my own experiences, but as I'm bipolar, I get to take QUITE a med "cocktail" -- and the mix of ingredients seems to need to be adjusted about every six months.

I've been really proactive in researching the medications, plus getting opinions from folks here that are taking them, and then I go in to my pdoc and say "you know, I've read/heard that such and such med is very effective, blah blah blah" and usually find that my pdoc is pretty open to listening to me and giving new things a try. I don't believe in just sitting around waiting for someone to toss me a "magic" pill.

and it depends on the med usually how long you take it before saying "nope, this just doesn't work" -- or if the side effects are so awful that you just can't tolerate them.

it sucks, but I think getting the right meds is just a matter of luck, in the long run, because there is no "right" med for all people with X symptom. our diseases are different so the meds are too.

good luck on your magical journey through "meds-land" :wink:

hugs,
Di

#3 marga

marga
  • Members
  • 1,377 posts
  • Flag:
  • Interests:Music & singing, reading, creative writing, poetry, mental health issues, foreign languages, my pets.

Posted 27 April 2006 - 09:27 AM

I usually give a med a couple of months to decide whether it's working or not - unless the side effects are intolerable, of course. It's supposed to take about four weeks for an antidepressant to kick in, but with me it's more like six.

I've never been on a big cocktail, though. The most I've had is one antidepressant and one PRN anxiety med.