• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Sunflower

Sunflower
  • Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 28 July 2008 - 07:18 PM

Hi everybody.

I know I haven't been posting a lot but I've had some issues and problems to deal with. I was losing hope at ever overcoming my anxiety problem (it was beginning to take over my life again). However, I think I may have found something that works. I went for my first session of NLP today, which works by changing the way you look at situations, etc. and while I was sceptical and uneasy about going down this route, I have to admit that I feel loads better and more positive after it. So I just thought that I'd let other people know about it in case it may benefit you too.
Hugs to everyone :?:
Sunflower

#2 belight232

belight232
  • Members
  • 270 posts

Posted 28 July 2008 - 08:33 PM

That's great news, Sunflower!! :laugh: Glad to know that you've found something that helps - that's always the hard part! Mind giving a few more details on how it works? I've very curious!

#3 kirsty777

kirsty777
  • Members
  • 826 posts
  • Flag:
  • Interests:Listening to music, pottering about when can be bothered ;) reading, spending time with friends, BtB and facebk! Comedies, good food and cuddles

Posted 28 July 2008 - 09:00 PM

Hey Sunflower

That's great news, i'm glad its working for you? ive just started an online course ( moodgym but I thought it was MINDgym) and I feel im benefiting from it already even though I haven't finished it, whatever works! Hmm don't know alot about NLP even though I joined an NLP group on facebook oops! but i'm guessing it's similar to cbt, thanks for sharing, keep us updated and glad you're feeling better :yea:

:?: :?: :?:

#4 Sunflower

Sunflower
  • Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 29 July 2008 - 09:28 AM

Hi Belight and Kirsty!
Thanks for the kind words! :D

A person near where I live was recommended to me by a family member, I didn't know anything about what or how she worked. When I rang her up, she told me that NLP may help me. I googled it as I had never heard of it beforehand.
Here's the site I found most helpful.
http://www.nlpinfo.com/

I was so nervous going in, almost didn't go as far as the door, but when I went in, the lady was so friendly and had a really calming effect on me. She just started by asking questions about myself. Of course, the tears welled up immediately, but it was great to be able to talk to a stranger so openly. Once she understood my problems, she started helping me to look at situations that absolutely terrify me (at the moment job interviews) and helped me to change my perception of them as daunting to a more positive experience and opportunity. Following this, she did some visualisation techniques with me, one was looking in different directions while imagining a situation, and another was a timeline of my life, where she tried to get to the root of my anxieties.

It was a good experience, I don't have to go back if I don't want to, but if I ever need to, she said she can try lots more strategies. It really worked for me.

#5 kirsty777

kirsty777
  • Members
  • 826 posts
  • Flag:
  • Interests:Listening to music, pottering about when can be bothered ;) reading, spending time with friends, BtB and facebk! Comedies, good food and cuddles

Posted 29 July 2008 - 08:17 PM

Right where can I sign up?! lol, that sounds amazing Sunflower, I will definitely look into NLP now having heard your positive experience, thanks for sharing and for posting a link, nice one! :D

#6 Sunflower

Sunflower
  • Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 29 July 2008 - 08:30 PM

You're welcome. I think you'll have most luck with trying to find NLP is by looking up NLP practitioners. They might do other things too, this is just one of the therapies the lady I went to offers.

Good luck and let me know how you get on if you go for it!

Edited by Sunflower, 29 July 2008 - 08:31 PM.

#7 belight232

belight232
  • Members
  • 270 posts

Posted 29 July 2008 - 11:17 PM

That sounds great, Sunflower! Thanks for the details. I am definitely going to look into this as it seems like something that could help me as well. I think it's great that you had the courage to try something new and I'm so glad it worked out for you! :?:

Also, Kristy, I just finished moodgym. I thought parts of it were quite helpful, but some parts were a little too labor intensive (there is a part with 310 multiple choice questions or something like that, and I could NOT finish it! :shock: ) Good luck with it though! I think it's a great thing to try and I'm glad that I did it myself.

#8 Sunshineinmyface

Sunshineinmyface

Wiki Queen

• Members
  • 10,092 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 30 July 2008 - 02:51 AM

Fantastic Sunflower...so now you have something that works. It can't get much better than that. So happy for you.

Hugs,
Sunshine