• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 welshman326

welshman326
  • Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 10 July 2008 - 11:14 PM

hello all,
i'm still new to this site and i am sure this has been discussed a lot, but i'll give it a go nonetheless.
i recently was recommended acupuncture in treating my latest episode of quite severe depression and obviously played it off as being no good, but nonetheless i tried it if nothing else but to get me out of the house and focus on something other than how bad i feel.
anyway, the first time she said it could make things a little worse, so the couple days following the acupuncture treatment (after we talked for around a half hour me telling her my symptoms,history etc.) i really felt a little more depressed and wondered why on earth i did it?!?! anyway, this last time i went and she did a lot more work on me and to be honest i haven't felt as well as i do right now in over three months. i am not saying its completely related to the acupuncture but i can't see it being unrelated. The depression isn't nearly as severe as it was before and i just recommend those of you out there to maybe think of this option as another form of treatment to go along with medication (which i take, 150mg sertraline/zoloft), therapy and anything else people engage in to relieve these symptoms.
i know its a lot easier said than done, because i wasn't in such a bad shape as barely wanting to get out of bed, or unable to do anything but if you can somehow try it, then who knows, maybe it will help you???
all my best to those of you out there. i also recently read a book by gwyneth lewis, 'sunbathing in the rain' in her own battle with depression and i found it quite good. its not like most books which try to help you but is merely telling you of her own experience and it made me feel less alone.
good luck!!

#2 belight232

belight232
  • Members
  • 270 posts

Posted 11 July 2008 - 02:30 AM

I've always wanted to try acupuncture, but because of a tight budget haven't had a chance to! I'm SO glad to hear it's working for you! :?:

I'm just curious - did she put the needles in one specific area of your body, or all over?

#3 welshman326

welshman326
  • Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 12 July 2008 - 10:28 AM

hey thank you very much belight!
she put the needles all over especially in the wrists, i have been researching it more and more and they think there are real benefits. anyway, it seems to have helped me. it can be expensive yes but maybe you can try it once or twice and see how you get on if thats possible?? anyways, good luck

#4 jillie

jillie

Sunbeam

• Root Admin
  • 14,074 posts
  • Flag:
  • Interests:This is it!

Posted 12 July 2008 - 11:22 AM

:D

Glad to hear that it is bringing you some relief!

I have no experience with acupuncture for depression, but have used it in the past for a back problem, where it worked extremely well. It is all a matter of personal experience, and of course finding a good practitioner, but it sounds like it could be worth a try.

love Jillie xxxxxxxxx

#5 cookiemonster2809

cookiemonster2809
  • Members
  • 90 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 October 2009 - 03:00 PM

I personally went in for a treatment about four days ago. I felt relaxed and slept like a baby after. It was pricey it was about 75 dollars for the hour. He had advised me to come back in soon. But I cant afford to :cry:

I hope to go in on my next pay which is in 2 weeks I will keep you posted.