"Changing Thought Pattern" Excersises

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 belight232

belight232
  • Members
  • 270 posts

Posted 09 July 2008 - 07:12 PM

So almost every book I have gotten out on depression gives exercises about changing negative thought patterns. As much as I know that this is important, I find the exercises SO boring and sometimes just stupid. I end up filling out a few and then giving up. I think it's great to be aware of negative thought patterns and honestly I seem to be doing fine just trying to fix things myself without the help of the exercises. But sometimes I worry that I should just suck it up and do them all. I just can't seem to get into it!

Does anyone get any use out of them? Should I try again?

#2 kirsty777

kirsty777
  • Members
  • 826 posts
  • Flag:
  • Interests:Listening to music, pottering about when can be bothered ;) reading, spending time with friends, BtB and facebk! Comedies, good food and cuddles

Posted 09 July 2008 - 09:17 PM

Hi Belight

I've never tried any CBT techniques but I have been advised in the past to go to mindgym ( dont know the actual website, im sure if you just google mindgym it will come up) that's meant to be really helpful in changing faulty thought processing, although haven't worked myself up to try it!

Just a thought.. :D

#3 belight232

belight232
  • Members
  • 270 posts

Posted 09 July 2008 - 09:32 PM

I actually started using mygym, but felt the same way about it as the book exercises. I think I'm going to try it again though.

#4 windcuffer

windcuffer
  • Members
  • 858 posts

Posted 10 July 2008 - 01:27 AM

belight

Please keep in mind this is just my personal opinion, based on specific books and specific exercises: it is not necessarily true for everyone, so if you feel like doing the exercises you go for it, it might work for you.

Personally I wouldn't use most self help books as lavatory paper. They are frequently patronising, unrealistic, tedious and insulting. They also suggest exercises that those suffering from depression simply cannot do, because of lack of motivation, lack of concentration or the belief that nothing can help. As you fail at the impossible exercises you come to feel worse about yourself than before, because you can't fill in a questionnaire, that's not going to tell you anything anyway.

Most of the time these books are written by academics, trained in the theory of depression, but having no practical, personal knowledge and this shows through in what they write. I've also accused psychiatrists of this in the past too. I am not saying that CBT is useless, far from it, it seems a very successful method, but best done with a trained therapist so you can discuss exercises that actually apply to you and your capabilities at any one time.

Sorry about the rant, I have a personal issue with most self-help books and would like to give the authors a good shaking. Like I said though, this is just my opinion, it may well work for you.

Very best wishes whatever you do

Windcuffer

#5 belight232

belight232
  • Members
  • 270 posts

Posted 10 July 2008 - 02:24 AM

Thanks, Windcuffer! Honestly, it's nice to hear that not everyone thinks these CBT exercises are the best thing ever! I felt like I was the only one not doing them, and that I might be missing out.

But I agree that most self-help books are SO patronizing. They're hard to read, badly organized and overwhelming when you need them to be simple and to the point.

Also, depression can be so different from person to person that I think it's ridiculous to think that you can make one set of "get-better" rules that applies to everyone! I've been getting them out mostly to skim over them and see if there's anything at all helpful - sometimes there are good quote, etc, that I take with me from each one, but some of the time they seem to be pretty much the same thing said in different words.

:shrug:

#6 belight232

belight232
  • Members
  • 270 posts

Posted 14 July 2008 - 03:10 AM

So I finished MoodGym...did it help?

No idea. :shock:

Parts of it were interesting but mostly it was exhausting, boring and repetitive. There was one section with 310 questions in it about what you did and didn't like to do. You checked off activities (310 of them) and if you enjoyed them. How does that help depression?

No clue. I guess it was suppose to give me more options of stuff to do...but as far as the program helping me with my negative thinking, don't think it did much.

Oh well. Can't say I didn't give it a try. :P