• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 sycamore

sycamore
  • Members
  • 1,175 posts
  • Interests:adventure

Posted 08 May 2008 - 05:46 AM

Wow..I'm really going out on a limb but I'm going to try Past Life Regression Therapy. My dtr. in law has been reading many books by Sylvia Browne and other books on Past Life Regression. In many cases, people have revisted their previous lives to 'heal' wounds that they carried into this life. I believe that I may have commited suicide in a previous life and have unresolved issues surrounding this and believe that is why I have always wanted to die since I was 4 years old. I also believe that it is my destiny to do it again unless I resolve these issues. This may not make sense to anyone but me, but it is what I believe and I am getting desperate to try to fix myself.

There is in my town a place called the "Shanti Wellness Project" that was started by a college student 8 yrs ago. They opened a clinic to women of all economic status to recieve various types of healing, accupuncture, chiropractics, rekei, hyponotherapy, massage, and counseling. It is done on a low cost to the patient because the people running the clinic are trained professionals with private practices who donate their time a couple of nights a week. I'm going to a hypnotherapist who has 16 yrs in Past Life Regression, and I've interviewed her on the phone and she sounded very sincere.

I asked my Pdoc about PLR and said "Is this a bunch of B.S. or what?" She answered me with "Well, I have seen alot of strange things in my practice and some things I have no explaination for." Anyway, she seemed receptive to the idea and wanted to know how it turns out. So have I lost my mind or has anyone else out there done this? Please....any comments welcome.

#2 pita

pita

Resident Pit bull

• Board Moderator
  • 5,450 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 08 May 2008 - 10:33 AM

I say go for it!

I read a couple of books on the subject when I was in my early 20s.
I have been to school conferences and the teachers have so far referred to 2 of my 3 kids as 'old souls'.
That saying had to come from somewhere.

-pita

#3 buddhakitty

buddhakitty
  • Members
  • 277 posts

Posted 08 May 2008 - 05:22 PM

I've often wondered about past life regression. I tried a bit on my own using some information I found on the web, but for lots of reasons didn't get far. I waiver a lot between being skeptical about past lives and believing there must be something to the idea. (Not to digress, but the older I've gotten the more I believe I'm a very young or new soul; I'm just so lost here.)

I hope the experience will give you some useful insights and that you will keep us all posted on how it goes.

#4 kewy13

kewy13
  • Members
  • 3,119 posts
  • Flag:
  • Interests:used to be hiking, packing, skiing, anything outdoors. am woking back toward that as i get healthier.

i attend buddhist meditation at a temple nearby.

yoga, bicycling, kayaking, camping, exfoliating, making jewelry, being outdoors.

Posted 09 May 2008 - 07:55 AM

i have had this done many years ago. but it was in an awkward situation. i really liked the lady, but she had me resting on the floor, with calming music. it took me hrs. but every so often, the music had a scratchy sound when it got to where it re looped. it was very distracting.

i had also gone in with preconceived notions on what i had been, my general position in life, and era i would have liked to have lived in. i think it is very important to take time before you go, and prepare yourself to be open to what ever comes up. even if you thought you were say a teacher, and you turn out to be a homeless beggar. i feel mine went the way it did, because i had a hard time opening up and trusting that it wasnt something my mind would just create that i would have liked to have been my life.

i guess in other words, just relax, and try to just let things come. i believe this method can be very effective, but i just have such a hard time directing my mind to focus or not focus on things as needed.

i hope you get some helpful information out of this! i did. and even though i felt i tended to direct it in an appealing way for me, there were times when the information just poured out of me before i could even think about it. that i believe was the genuine info.

please keep us updated!

xoxo
kewy

#5 SereneTragedy

SereneTragedy
  • Members
  • 1,973 posts
  • Interests:Singing...dancing...<br />wishing I knew how to fly....

Posted 12 May 2008 - 04:38 PM

Yes, please do keep us posted.
It's something I've done a great deal of reading about (is anyone surprised, lol?) and I have been called an old soul probably more times than I've ever been called anything else so it's something that I'd like to try at some point, too.

Just an aside, Shanti is the Sanskrit word for Peace.

#6 sycamore

sycamore
  • Members
  • 1,175 posts

Posted 13 May 2008 - 12:06 PM

Ok, don't know where to go with this but I did a 'past life' last nite and it was very brief and involved me being senselessly murdered by strangulation with a red scarf. This may explain why I often 'choke' today for no apparent reason. It seems kinda personal and hard to tell you the details but it did happen in a dark alleyway which may explain my fear of the dark and I could not see my purely evil assailant except for what appeared to be a pirate's hat. I often feel an evil presence in my home at night or sometimes feel like I'm being 'stalked'. Gawd, this is sounding strange even to me. I could see the whole scene unravel before my eyes as I was in a hypnotic trance but well aware of what I was experiencing. I could see myself bare foot in a long blue dress with a white blouse, carrying a bucket of water. My hair was long and brown and I was 29 years old. I remember seeing a red scarf pulled over my head and then twisted tightly around my neck. It was impossible to breathe and yet I remained alive for several minutes, dazed and unsure of my thoughts. A tavern or pub was just around the corner, so much noise and laughter of men came from it's doors, but no one could hear me try to scream. Eventually I fell to the cobblestone ground, my hair draped all around me. I'm floating now, above my body but don't know where to go. Everything goes black...I come out of my trance...I am disturbed by the words my hypnotherapist used. "So you were murdered in a past life..." I cannot follow the conversation. I tell her "I'm still floating, I'm not in my own body." She comes over to me and does some 'energy' work on me, I feel her yet she is not touching me. Finally, I feel back in my own skin and our session is over. I feel a bit dazed and confused but also relieved. Only problem now is I haven't beenable to sleep all nite. So here I write. I know that this all may sound hokey, but it is what it is and I experienced it. I cannot ever recall seeing this 'scene' in a movie, or reading it in a book...it was very much real to me. So take it or leave it, I'm convinced and I'm going back for more.

#7 SereneTragedy

SereneTragedy
  • Members
  • 1,973 posts
  • Interests:Singing...dancing...<br />wishing I knew how to fly....

Posted 13 May 2008 - 04:12 PM

Wow.
That's amazing. You're very receptive. Stay open to whatever happens.

#8 sycamore

sycamore
  • Members
  • 1,175 posts

Posted 14 May 2008 - 11:25 AM

I have an appointment on the 28th of May, I have decided to start recording these events on my Blog for future reference. Those of you who are interested may read up on it there. Did anyone see the Oprah show yesterday? She had a whole segment on Past Life Regression with two Dr.s and a willing patient. One of the Docs was a prominent psychiatrist who has done 1,000's of PLR with his patients. He (Brian Weiss) also wrote a book called "Many Lives, Many Masters". I highly recommend this book to anyone interested in Past Life Regression.

Serene, Thank You honey for believing in me. Warm Wishes, Sycamore.Posted Image

#9 JennyLou

JennyLou

Short-Bus Driver

• Members
  • 4,671 posts

Posted 16 May 2008 - 05:27 AM

Sycamore,

I'm really glad you've found something that is striking a chord for you. Personally, I tend to shy away from anything regarding "past lives." My reasons are several fold. One is I have a friend who studies them and she told me I was a princess in one of my past lives. Gag. I'm of the belief that I wasn't a princess of anything... or the queen of anything. I think I was just an ordinary Joe Schmoe - or Jenny Schmoe... am open that I was male or female in past lives. Anyway, since then I haven't found anyone else I've been comfortable discussing the issue with, let alone to go through therapy guidance with. Other issues that I have is that I can't even straighten on the small stuff I have going on in THIS life let alone go digging around in the big issues of previous lives. Oy.

I'm excited for you that this might be something to help you understand your here and now. I hope you have continued success with it.

Love,

~Jenny

#10 pea

pea
  • Members
  • 175 posts

Posted 16 May 2008 - 01:27 PM

Hi.

I don't want to speak too much without thinking, but I kind of have mind to mouth diseas disease, which can be good at times. i am not a believer in anything much in the sense that i think our perceptions are distorted by their limitations. So, I tend to be sceptical and wary of putting myself in the hands of therapists, etc. who often bring their own narratives to their therapeutic relationships. I have friends who are deeply involved in providing services in past life regression. astrology, tarot reading, intuitive reading, healing....not all the same poeple. I think they provide valuable insight and really tap into the people they work with. All people have varying degrees of success.

Do you htink it will help you deal with your sensations of choking to have something you feel you can connect it with in a past life? It is really exciting to imagine what could be discovered that would be more subtle.

From my perspective, it is irrelevant whether past lives are a real thing or not. What if it were a dream that had such a profound effect on you you that you choke to this day because of it. Would it make it any less important? Minds are so powerful, yet we feel a need to justify, by external events, our subjective experiences.

I saw an amazingly cool thing on some science channel about parrallel universes and the ongoing debate among physicist about whether there are 10 or 11 dimensions (what happened to 4 or 5..I've been asleep at the wheel). I won't go into the details, but the gist of it is that there could be and maybe even probaly are, parallel univeses all jumbled together, bumping into eachother. They are miniscule. We could be occupying many at the same time, etc. etc......So who knows, maybe your past lives are curesnt lives happening in the past, or future , right now.

The bottom line, in my opinion is, you don't have to believe anything except that if it makes you feel better in the here and now, that you are experienceing, it is good. (i'm excepting things like heroin).

More power to you. I don't have it in me to do past life regression. I do love hypnosis though.

xoxo
p

#11 Sunshineinmyface

Sunshineinmyface

Wiki Queen

• Members
  • 10,092 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 17 May 2008 - 03:29 AM

Syc,

How brave of you. Who can say what is or is not in anything, except of course the earth is the center of the universe....wrong dimension I guess Pia.

You describe your past life so vividly I could picture my version in my mind as I was reading what you experienced. I am quite intrigued to read the book you suggest.

How are you feeling during the regression? What about now as you look back on it?

Have a good time.

Hugs
Sunshine

#12 pea

pea
  • Members
  • 175 posts

Posted 17 May 2008 - 03:44 AM

Sunshine,

Not only is the Earth the center of the universe, but we are (read "I am" here, I'm only trying to be politic) the center of the Earth.

p

Edited by pea, 17 May 2008 - 03:44 AM.

#13 kewy13

kewy13
  • Members
  • 3,119 posts
  • Flag:
  • Interests:used to be hiking, packing, skiing, anything outdoors. am woking back toward that as i get healthier.

yoga, bicycling, kayaking, camping, exfoliating, making jewelry, being outdoors.

Posted 23 May 2008 - 08:13 AM

i saw that oprah show and would love to find someone who could really help me go under. see, that is what i think my problem is. i believe in multiple lives, but believe it is so very hard to really access or recall them. or at least for me. the session i had previously, when i had trouble staying focused, was about a life with me as an alchemist or ones assistant and trying to hide when "witch hunters" came to find us. triangles were everywhere in this vision. but i wonder if it was focused on that time period or "witches" because at that time i was into paganism.

i also tried being hypnotized to help me lose weight. i just cant seem to get under. whether it is because i dont easily go under, or am just resistant, i dunno. but after watching operah i would sure be willing to try with that guy.

xoxo
kewy

#14 pea

pea
  • Members
  • 175 posts

Posted 24 May 2008 - 01:56 PM

Hey Kewy,

On the hypnosis and weight loss subject, I have a self hypsosis tape from a company called Potentials Unlimited. It's great for getting me to fall asleep. I used it when i was 17 years old for weight loss and it really worked. I use it every now and then when I feel like it, but when I first used it I followed the directions. I have tried lots of hypnosis tapes and I like this one. The message is reasonably good. I ignore the suggestions i don't like, like staying away from caffienated drinks (i must have my coffee). The main thing, is that you don't have to do anything but listen to the tape and allow yourself to fall asleep, or not. There doesn't have to be any effort involved....no forcing yourself to excersize or resist certain foods. Any behavioral changes should come about effortlessly as result of listening to the tape. Over the years I have found this tape to be very soothing for me. It may be that I used it when I was young and susceptable, I don't know.
I have also had quite a bit of experience with in-person hypnosis. I have found that the depth of any state of hypnosis is quite variable. I did not use it for a specific purpose. I was just sick of talk therapy and decided to let my unconcious do the work for me. I found it very helpful. I went to an Eriksonian therapist, who actually trained with Erikson. She was really good. Again, it was about not doing anything, and after years of so much "work", that was a relief. It allowed me to reconnect with my gut self, my intuitions...to relearn to trust myself, to let go of the overanalyzing second guessing, that many years of therapy had taught me, to no great benefit.
So much depend on the skill of the practitioner and/or the fit. I also saw her husband for a few sessions, who had the same training she did....total failure.
Good luck.

p

#15 kewy13

kewy13
  • Members
  • 3,119 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 25 May 2008 - 12:13 AM

I have also had quite a bit of experience with in-person hypnosis. I have found that the depth of any state of hypnosis is quite variable. I did not use it for a specific purpose. I was just sick of talk therapy and decided to let my unconcious do the work for me. I found it very helpful.

ok. this sounds good to me. i feel like the lady i went to, i just didnt really believe her. i wasnt connected, or in tune with the way she worked.

was your hypnotherapist a psychologist, or therapist of some form? i will have to look up who erikson is. but maybe this would help me just let go, and let the crap out. funny how just reading this post, i really feel like this could be a tool for me, when hypnotism didnt work for me previously, and i am skeptic of it working on me personally.

thanks for mentioning it for insomnia, also. i was just reading on a site about sleep cycle reversal which i seem to be inflicted with.

xoxo
kewy

#16 sycamore

sycamore
  • Members
  • 1,175 posts

Posted 27 May 2008 - 06:52 AM

ok. this sounds good to me. i feel like the lady i went to, i just didnt really believe her. i wasnt connected, or in tune with the way she worked.

was your hypnotherapist a psychologist, or therapist of some form? i will have to look up who erikson is. but maybe this would help me just let go, and let the crap out. funny how just reading this post, i really feel like this could be a tool for me, when hypnotism didnt work for me previously, and i am skeptic of it working on me personally.

xoxo
kewy

Dear Kewy, my hypontherapist was a psychologist with 16 years in Past Life Rregression, she also hypnotizes ppl for weight loss, smoking, and other issues. There was an article in our local paper on her just this last week and she mentioned that you do need to 'believe' in it to get it to work. She states that if you are unable to believe that hypnotizm works for you than you've already hynotized yourself. Make sense?
Some ppl just don't go under very easy, you've got to trust the practioner and really believe that this is what you want for yourself. Sounds like you did have some sucsess in the past, maybe you just need to find the right practioner...preferably someone with a lot of experience in what your looking to be hypnotized for. Ask around, make phone calls, look on the internet under local listings...that's how I found mine. Hope that helps, Warm Wishes, Sycamore.

#17 kewy13

kewy13
  • Members
  • 3,119 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 27 May 2008 - 01:07 PM

e.s.p. people here really do have it. the last few times i googled something that i got the idea about from btb, when i returned to post about it someone had more to share with me! :blink:

so there is an erickson therapist in my city (only one! :shock: ). the next closest one is at least 50-60 miles away. but i will call the one in my town. he is a psychiatrist. so maybe my insurance would cover some of it!! then if i like him, i could switch from the practitioner i have and he could manage my meds. i would like to meet with him first to be sure we click.

i had really preferred to find a woman, tho, so that led me to.....

a woman, who is a hypnotherapist, life coach, and uses biofeedback machines (if you like) to let you know where your body is sending its energy, or where your problem areas are. that would be interesting! :hm: i emailed her to find out her rates, and let her know my other experiences. even tho she doesnt use the erickson method, her website was so thorough i feel i got a pretty good sense of her style. which sounded like i would click with her. she even mentioned buddhist mindfulness. i hope she is reasonably priced.

she mentioned that you do need to 'believe' in it to get it to work. She states that if you are unable to believe that hypnotizm works for you than you've already hynotized yourself. Make sense?

it totally makes sense that i have hypnotized myself into not buying into it. but i really do believe in it, i think i just have convinced myself that the people i went to were fluffy. and just expected me to buy it because they said so. i just dont work that way! cos even though i am in the field of energy work and metaphysical medicine, i am so in need of understanding things logically, how could that energy work make me feel less pain, etc, that i need to find someone like you did. with a lot of experience.

i am getting a little excited to try this. i hope i am working again soon so i can afford it!

xoxo syc & pea
kewy

#18 pea

pea
  • Members
  • 175 posts

Posted 28 May 2008 - 05:04 AM

Hi Kewy,

I think bio-fedback is a great concept. i have no idea how effective it is in real life practice with a limited # of therapy sessions. But, when you think about these monks who can do things like raise and lower their heart rates and body temperatures, withstand extremes in teperatures without any apparrent ill effects, etc. You've got to know that the mind is very powerful and can effect the enrgy in your body.

With respect to my Eriksonian therapist, she was an MSW. She absolutely did not say that I had to believe anything. In fact, just the opposite. I didn't need to do anything, or think anything, I could think something or nothing. My unconcious would do what it thought was necessary, and if it had objections or something that needed to be addressed, i would not go under until i was ready. (she would say this...frequently remind me of this) I often felt myself full of anxiety that I would not be able to be hypnotized, and I so desperately wanted to be, but with very few exceptions, I found myself deeply "under". There were a few times that I did stop the process with something to say, dealt with it and went on, or opted out altogether.
My theraoist called it trance work and I think she went into a kind of trance too. It was as if she could feel and lead and follow my mind. She was very indirect. She never spoke to anything specific in trance. It was all imagary, but nothing I had to imagine, just things she described, not necessarilly visual, also conceptual. I was often thinking about something entirely unrelated to what she was saying, something inmy life or past, or just experiencing emotions, or just so deep in trance that i was unaware of anything. My life just slowly changed, with no effort on my part. I guess I went to her to get some seriously damaging obsessive think under control. That worked. I am still profoundly depressed, but I believe a lot of that has to do with externals that i amchoosing not to change at this time. I am at much greater peace with myself.

With regard to the self hypnosis tape, you should try it. It is cheap and it may prepare you for actual hypnosis. It is goal oriented, but you don't have to please anyone. you don't have to perform on demand. There is no cost to a failed session, and, for me, it actually worked. I only tried the weight loss one, so can'tsay anything about the many others he made. This guys voice is very soothing in a 1970's kind of way. you have to get past the hokiness of it, but there is not a single negative message in his tapes, and that is part of the reason why I could trust and let myself go. Plus, you do it at night, so you just go to sleep, but really, it's different.

I really believe that skill and the right fit are essential in a therapeutic relationship of any kind. We can become so desperate in our quest to feelbetter that we are willing to put ourselves in the hands of people we should not. If something is not working for you, it's not working. It doesn't matter if it is because of you. If the person you are working with is not skilled enough to outmaneuver you, then they are not skilled enough. I hate to say it, but there are just not a lot of people out there who can really out maneuver those of us whose existence is consumed with introspection and a quest for self understanding as a means for survival. I think it pays to have modest and discreet goals when it comes to a therapist, but don't settle for the wrong person.

Hope I have not been too forceful with my opinions.

xoxo
p

#19 sycamore

sycamore
  • Members
  • 1,175 posts

Posted 28 May 2008 - 01:11 PM

Dear Kewy,
with respect to what pea said, it's a good point to not become so desperate to put yourself in the hands of just any ole therapist but I don't believe that's what I was saying either. I happened to find a psychologist (PhD.) with 16 years of Past Life Regression as a hypnotherapist. If you feel like you have found someone to connect with as a therapist, by all means try it out. The more comfortable you are with someone who is experienced in hypnotherapy, the better the outcome or your sucsess will be.

According to www.howstuffworks.com "Hypnosis is nothing more than a trance-like state characterized by extreme suggestibility, relaxation and heightened imagination."

Pea states "I hate to say it, but there are just not a lot of people out there who can really out maneuver those of us whose existence is consumed with introspection and a quest for self understanding as a means for survival. "
I'm not sure about those whose existence is consumed with introspection/ self understanding as a means for survival is truly what I'm talking about. Everybody's reasoning for hypnosis is different. Kewy, you seem to be more unsure if it is possible for you to be hypnotized. Sounds as if you have had some sucsess in the past no?
All I'm saying is that under the proper guidance you can become relaxed enough to reach that hyper-aware but extremeley focused state.

I have been doing 'Guided Imagery' for nearly a year now both at home listening to cd's and weekly in group therapy. That is actually considered a very mild and gentle form of Hypnosis. I think that is what has prepared me to accept being 'hypnotized' by someone in the flesh because I have learned how to relax in spite of my surroundings. Pea also suggested trying 'self-hypnosis' tapes as a precursor to actual hypnosis...maybe that might be a good starting point for you? It may get you more accustomed to relaxation, suggestibility and heightend imagination.

I really believe if you find the right person you would have the 'willingness' to be hypnotized, because you want to be hypnotized. Nobody can automatically hypnotize you if you are unwilling. So research your options and make an educated decision about who or what course you will take. I believe you can do it. Feel free to PM me. Sycamore.

#20 Sunshineinmyface

Sunshineinmyface

Wiki Queen

• Members
  • 10,092 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 29 May 2008 - 02:59 AM

I to enjoy guided imagery tapes and learning to do it myself by meditation. What neat things are out there to try. :D