Help - cold medicing interactions?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Blue Jai

Blue Jai
  • Members
  • 294 posts

Posted 10 March 2008 - 03:11 PM

I have a horrible cold and the pharmacist was pretty rude to me when I asked what I could take. I know she was probably too busy...anyway, I was told I could not take pseudoephedrine with lithium. Does anyone else on lithium have a suggestion for what I can take? Ny Quil or something... I'm really not in a great place. Ugh.

#2 Hangingon

Hangingon

Resident nerd & geeky person

• Root Admin
  • 21,583 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 10 March 2008 - 04:44 PM

Well,

I can suggest what NOT to take?? Anything with dextromethorphan (DXM or DM) in it sends me over the edge. I ended up with visual and aural hallucinations, racing thoughts, chills, hot flashes and really weird thoughts and dreams....... It was the dextromethorphan in the Neo Citran.... I did look it up after three really screwy nights of this and it turns out dextromethorphan has been proven to cause manic reactions in bipolar patients.

Looking at Nyquil, it contains dextromethorphan as well. Many OTC cold remedy's do as it is a cough suppressant. Maybe a NyQuil Sinus LiquiCap with some cough drops?

Personally what I do now is hit the cough drops, take a couple of Tylenol and load up on the Vick's Vapo-rub before bed. A nice hot bath right before bed helps too. I've been finding that there isn't much for OTC cold stuff that I can take because of the effects it has on me. I just try keeping it as "natural" as I can without loading in the chemicals. For those three days of Neo Citran, I started wondering if I had finally lost my frigging mind once and for all.

Vick's has a few new things on the market now. They have a little "fan" that you can place at your bedside and add the Vick's strips into it, to blow the soothing Vicks over you as you sleep to keep the airway clear. The Vapo Rub itself does well with me for suppressing the cough. :??

Guess that is all I have...... I gave up on OTC cold meds after that bout of insanity I had so I really have no idea what else is OK to take with Lithium and/or with Bipolar.

Hope you're feeling better soon!

Love

Sheila