Little things mean a lot

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#21 SpaceTrekkie

SpaceTrekkie
  • Members
  • 782 posts
  • Flag:
  • Interests:Astronomy, Ham radio, books.

Posted 24 June 2005 - 05:59 AM

My boyfriend and I talk on AIM all the time (due to cell phones costing a lot and parents getting annoyed with tied up phone lines). So everytime i say be right back, like to get a drink or use the restroom or soemthing he types these long messages about how much I make him feel good, and how much he loves me and enjoys being with me and is always here for me. It is so sweet. He writes beutifully and if i have had a bad day or soemthing he often says things so sweet they tear me up.

Also he wrote two poems for me, and since i am going away alot this summer, he wrote them out in his gorgeous coligraphy-style cursive on a card that i can take with me.

he is so sweet,
hill

#22 romanoff

romanoff
  • Members
  • 2,197 posts
  • Interests:current events, politics, history, philosophy, science, baseball, Rock & Roll.

Posted 24 June 2005 - 08:05 AM

This evening I was chatting with one of Pallas' sisters-in-law.

A remarkable number of her people have remained loyal and friendly to me. :) Of course my part in that is to never say anything negative about Pallas or what we've been going through. Blood is thicker than water, after all.

Anyway, Barbara (the sis-in-law) recalled how I always used to bring Pallas flowers at least once a week and how wonderful she thought that was. I had forgotten all about it! (I had to stop when I ran out of money.)

But it was sure nice to hear! :D

#23 silknsatincat

silknsatincat
  • Members
  • 79 posts
  • Interests:fanfiction,jigsaw puzzles,writing

Posted 16 July 2005 - 06:24 PM

I love taking walks with my husband, through the park or the neighborhood or wherever. The best part is when he rests his hand in the small of my back and sometimes rubs little circles. It makes me feel so safe and loved.

#24 WITSENDWIFE

WITSENDWIFE
  • Members
  • 10 posts
  • Interests:OUTDOOR SPORTS, FAMILY, TRAVEL

Posted 04 October 2005 - 02:24 AM

My hubby and I both have a computer in our home office. Sometimes, we IM each other while we are sitting two feet apart and "talk". It's cool because we can type things that we may not feel comfortable saying. Sometimes we even get a little naughty. It's a blast!

#25 romanoff

romanoff
  • Members
  • 2,197 posts
  • Interests:current events, politics, history, philosophy, science, baseball, Rock & Roll.

Posted 23 October 2005 - 03:28 AM

Sometimes, we IM each other while we are sitting two feet apart and "talk".

Reminds me of the time a friend and I took shelter in adjacent phone booths (remember them?) during a sudden torrential downpour. We did the obvious thing and talked on the phone until the rain stopped.

#26 Amethyst

Amethyst
  • Members
  • 25 posts

Posted 23 December 2007 - 02:46 PM

A little off topic, I once did a short essay on Online Communication. Basically, since the person knows you can see their expression, see their body language, or their physical anything, they're more comfortable revealing the more emotional part of themselves. Making relationships acquired online often more personal and emotional in nature.

It's sort of like this forum for us. We come here because it's hard to talk to people in our real lives =|

...Back on topic

My boyfriend has this necklace that he never takes off. He lives quite a distance from me so we don't get to see each other often (maybe twice a year for a week or 2). As he was leaving to get back home he took it off and put it around my neck...

It was so touching I could barely speak... It wasn't expensive or anything but it was something that was a part of him that he gave to me. It really is the thought that counts. When he arrived at the airport, the first time he came to visit me... he was holding a REALLY big fat teddybear that was holding a heart that said "I Wuv You". Everyone around him was just staring at him like he was crazy holding it.

He walked up to me, handed me the bear and just grabbed me and held me without a care in the world. Wasn't even slightly embarrassed about everyone staring at us. I found that really endearing.

#27 vamp and a bit of a tramp

vamp and a bit of a tramp
  • Members
  • 153 posts

Posted 07 January 2009 - 07:12 PM

These stories are all so wonderful!!!!! I'm sitting here with tears streaming down my face at how lovely and sweet human beings can be :)

The most endearing things my husband used to do were things he did for other people ... but they were things that were so sweet and kind and gave such an insight into his character, that they made me weep.

For instance, before we started our own business, he worked in an office with 25 women, many of them single mothers who struggled just to pay their rent. Every year on Mother's Day, he went out and bought a beautiful rose for every one of them. He wrote the cards and delivered the roses himself.

He was also very handy and he would quietly visit a home for abused children in our town to fix things and make little things for them. He also contributed thousands of dollars worth of clothes and toys to the home, which I didn't even know about until I saw the canceled checks.

But the biggest thing of all was the way he adored his children. They were (and are) the light of his life. Every time I saw him put in the extra effort to attend their games and plays and music performances, the way he romped and played with them when they were little, the way he talked to them about life, the way he hugged them and told them how smart and pretty they were ... well, my heart just melted.

All of these things were incredibly romantic to me, because they showed how much love and goodness was inside him.

#28 painforevermore

painforevermore
  • Members
  • 46 posts
  • Flag:
  • Interests:I am a travel junkie. I love traveling and meeting people with all kinds of views and cultures. I also love to explore especially far away spots. I am an adrenaline junkie too. I skydive, swim with sharks, climb anything for the rush

Posted 24 February 2009 - 03:32 PM

wow some of these suggestions are awesome!!!!! but Im sorry i am going to steal your postcard idea LOL , My ex gf who i still adore ( strange relationship, exs but she supposely has feelings but too many complications on her end, so I dont get involved with her as much for sanity reasons lol) She is so important and I like to make her good. She is leaving for military and that idea of yours would make her bday special. She always said I was more of a thoughtful romantic guy hopefully she has a bday she will never forget. I will give her the world lol. Thank you for your idea

#29 painforevermore

painforevermore
  • Members
  • 46 posts
  • Flag:
  • Interests:I am a travel junkie. I love traveling and meeting people with all kinds of views and cultures. I also love to explore especially far away spots. I am an adrenaline junkie too. I skydive, swim with sharks, climb anything for the rush

Posted 24 February 2009 - 03:42 PM

These stories are all so wonderful!!!!! I'm sitting here with tears streaming down my face at how lovely and sweet human beings can be :)

The most endearing things my husband used to do were things he did for other people ... but they were things that were so sweet and kind and gave such an insight into his character, that they made me weep.

For instance, before we started our own business, he worked in an office with 25 women, many of them single mothers who struggled just to pay their rent. Every year on Mother's Day, he went out and bought a beautiful rose for every one of them. He wrote the cards and delivered the roses himself.

He was also very handy and he would quietly visit a home for abused children in our town to fix things and make little things for them. He also contributed thousands of dollars worth of clothes and toys to the home, which I didn't even know about until I saw the canceled checks.

But the biggest thing of all was the way he adored his children. They were (and are) the light of his life. Every time I saw him put in the extra effort to attend their games and plays and music performances, the way he romped and played with them when they were little, the way he talked to them about life, the way he hugged them and told them how smart and pretty they were ... well, my heart just melted.

All of these things were incredibly romantic to me, because they showed how much love and goodness was inside him.

Wow I have rarely met people that see things like that from a man and appreciate it. I have been told the same thing but usually it was put in a way that made it sound like I was a fool or unmanly. In fact most woman don't seem to like that about me because they feel i play a mommy role when I should be a day and less loving. That is awesome that you don't see that as a negative to love your children so much but as a positive. Sadly it seems the way people are now adays. There is so little apprecaition for a man who is helpful and cares! I think half of my depression is the way i am treated for being helpful to strangers and that i am a single dad that cares about his kids. For alot of people it is like a sin for the father to have custody

#30 holysocks

holysocks
  • Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 22 May 2009 - 01:07 AM

We leave each other post-it notes randomly around the house with cute things written on them, either inside jokes or my favorite on the full-length mirror "Yep, you're hot." Just a quick little reminder that we are thinking about each other even though we have our hectic schedules.

LJ

#31 KylieJane

KylieJane
  • Members
  • 1,017 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 16 August 2009 - 08:37 PM

I have no important or earth-shattering thoughts. I'm not in a serious relationship. I will probably never get married. I'm in love with a married man. He doesn't know. He's a writer. I will never get over him. Every time I hear him talk about his wife, I feel like I'm a vampire and someone is driving a stake through my heart. I didn't want to start a whole new thread for this. It was just a random thought off the top of my head. It does make me feel extremely depressed though. Very much so.

If I had to submit a little thing to put the spark back into a relationship, I would say that married people should avoid temptation. Stay faithful and work through your problems. Don't look for comfort in the arms of another man/woman.

"This too shall pass." ~ C.S. Lewis

#32 Sunshineinmyface

Sunshineinmyface

Wiki Queen

• Members
  • 10,092 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 16 August 2009 - 08:41 PM

((((Kylejane))))

#33 WorkEarnBuy

WorkEarnBuy
  • Members
  • 59 posts
  • Flag:
  • Interests:Active interest: my son; Cubscouts, BMX, wrestling, his guitar has turned into me playing guitar and I write A LOT of songs and post to the POETRY section of this forum
    Prior Interests: windsurfing, restoring cars, rollerbalding, hiking, backpacking, canoe/kayak - I do none now.

Posted 15 November 2009 - 10:52 PM

Yeah, sadly, it takes two to tango. My relationship with stbx was a bit of a gender bender - I am way too sentimental and romantic for a guy, and she is anything but. Also she insists that nothing is worthwhile that isn't totally spontaneous - I don't think this is realistic once you are over 25 or so.

At the end of the day, I think that you both need to believe that a relationship needs, and is worth, care and work.

As far as exactly what - the more tailored to your SO's personality you make it, the better. Also frequency counts, not just saving it all up for something extravagant on birthdays, anniversaries or holidays.

Well, that's one man's viewpoint, anyway.

Dead ON.
I'm a far and distant cry from spontaneous. I don't know that I ever possibly could be. I can be more open to her spontaneity, but as far me, I'd proably have to plan to do something "spontaneous". Yes, frequency counts and "just knowing" is never right.

What you say about the relationship needing care and work is dead on too.
I've gone through my life (marriage) assuming that it's somehting set in stone. You build it once, it's there forever and that's it. Like the Pyramids or something. But that attitude makes the other feel "taken for granted" or "used".

I now see that a marriage is more like a garden.
We're each a garden. We each need to tend to the other garden.
When we do, the garden thrives. When we don't, it dies off.
The thriving garden gives back.
The garden cannot just be planted and walked away from and then we expect there to be fruit or flowers or whatever.
Without the care there will be nothing.
We cannot expect for the garden to be free of weeds, or disease or insects.
We need to tend to the garden. See what works to make the garden thrive and then take those actions because we want it to thrive.

I walked away from my garden (wife), expecting it to take care of itself and continue to flower and provide for me without any contribution from myself.
Now my garden is completely overgrown with weeds. So much that I don't know that I can ever fight them off.

I need to learn how to tend to my garden. Not so that I can benefit from its harvest, but so that it can be the beautiful garden that it was and should be.

So to anyone reading this post, find out what your spouse wants and needs and reinforce your love frequently.
Weeds grow fast without constant care.

#34 Randy

Randy
  • Members
  • 2 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 19 September 2010 - 01:05 PM

Spontaneity and going all out seem to work well.

In my second marriage, my ex and children went to her mother's house for the three day weekend. I couldn't as my mother had landed in the hospital (I think that is what it was) or something but the point is, I had to stay behind. They would be back Sunday so Saturday I started planning something to show how much I loved my wife.

I went out to the mall, found a card that mirrored my sentiments, one of those big mylar helium filled balloons that dwarfs the Goodyear blimp, and writing paper. I began composing a song, lyrics and music. Hours at the guitar trying this chord or that set of notes, stopping to erase a word to add two more... you get the picture. I don't think she knew how long it took me to do it. Then came the practice and memorization so I could play and sing it for her.

The family comes home, the kids busting through the door and up the stairs not even seeing the balloon but she did. The card was attached to it as well. As she read it, I pulled out the guitar and started singing for her. Then when it was done, I handed her the composition and said, "This is for you, it's your song." Oh the tears of joy she had. I almost wept seeing her that happy.

However, about two years later she met a younger man and moved out. I found the composition somewhat faded and wrinkled and in a box in the closet. She remembers it, and I'm digressing.

The point I'm trying to make is that whatever talent you have, music, painting, putting up shower curtains, etc. use it to let your love know from your core how much he or she means to you. Work on it when you have the time alone. The memory is a lasting one. :)

It's coffee time,

Randy

#35 VincentNew

VincentNew
  • Members
  • 8 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 20 November 2011 - 01:48 PM

Do not dwell in the past, do not dream of the future, concentrate the mind on the present moment.