antipsychotic as an anti depressant

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 k2.

k2.
  • Members
  • 1,711 posts

Posted 21 September 2004 - 11:24 AM

I went back to the pdoc today after being taken off all my meds cold turkey last time.

Cos things havent been great she suggested i go back onto the anti psychotics and use the anti depressant properties of them instead of actual anti depressants and see how i go.

I just wondered if anyone had heard of this before?

#2 bee

bee

Resident mini forum geek in training

• Administrators
  • 13,511 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 21 September 2004 - 10:27 PM

(((( K ))))
I hope things go well for you doing it this way
Hang in there
:?: :?: :?: :?:

bee

#3 k2.

k2.
  • Members
  • 1,711 posts

Posted 22 September 2004 - 01:17 AM

thanks x

#4 this is me

this is me
  • Members
  • 2,675 posts
  • Interests:book and more books

Posted 22 September 2004 - 02:42 AM

Yup I have heard of this. In class this week.

For some it's the only thing that helps

Amy

#5 nell

nell
  • Members
  • 4,074 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 24 September 2004 - 07:34 AM

Yes, I've heard of this being done before - usually when all else fails they seem to try this route.
Hope this works for you K - don't see any reason why it shouldn't as you've had results before.
(((K)))
Hang in there
with love from Nell xoxoxoxox

#6 pita

pita

Resident Pit bull

• Board Moderator
  • 5,450 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 24 September 2004 - 12:12 PM

Yup-

My pdoc added anti psychotics to my cocktail to help get depression under control.

I found that it really does help.

I had are REALLY REALLY hard time getting over the anti psychotic thing though...it took a member here who pointed out that it was just a measure of how bad my depression was....nothing about me. and that worked for me. I was really sick and needed some strong meds.

I still take Abilify with Topamax at the moment. I can definately feel the difference from when I do and don't take the Abilify. I take it twice a day and if I miss a dose I can tell, I don't feel as good.

Give it a try.

-pita

#7 k2.

k2.
  • Members
  • 1,711 posts

Posted 24 September 2004 - 02:07 PM

i took anti psychotics with an anti depressant before but there was a bad reaction and had to stop both cold turkey.

They started the anti psychotics first in the hope that they would have enough of an anti depressant effect for me not to need to go on other meds.

Despite the fact that its the depression thats the dangerous illness, they only seem interested in the psychotic stuff.

#8 romanoff

romanoff
  • Members
  • 2,197 posts
  • Interests:current events, politics, history, philosophy, science, baseball, Rock & Roll.

Posted 24 September 2004 - 10:04 PM

A Google search on (All the Words:) [antipsychotic antidepressant] yields a lot of references to drugs that are supposed to be both - apparently this is not true across the board.

Certainly any solution that requires you to take fewer drugs is better!

Good luck with this

Rick

#9 barnesr

barnesr
  • Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 13 October 2004 - 08:21 AM

I was prescibed an antiphyscotic to ease the anxiety I had as a side effect of the antidepressants. The antiphyscotic has made me put on weight so I'm trying to come off it but the depression returns when I reduce the dose. Seems like a no-win situation. I didn't realise that they had an antidepressant effect.

#10 Howlin' Wolf

Howlin' Wolf
  • Members
  • 333 posts

Posted 13 October 2004 - 06:35 PM

This probably is of no use but anti-psychotics like Olanzapine are often used for people whose PTSD doesn't respond to SSRIs it can be used in conjunction with SSRIs especially for people with combat related PTSD. So basically what I'm saying is an anti-psychotic has other uses than just as an anti-psychotic. Don't let the name tag get you down too much.

Thinking of you

love Claire xxxx

#11 k2.

k2.
  • Members
  • 1,711 posts

Posted 14 October 2004 - 04:37 PM

thanks.

i ended up getting put back on the AD's too cos the AP's werent working on their own.

#12 tryinghard_man

tryinghard_man
  • Members
  • 9 posts
  • Interests:music,novels

Posted 15 October 2004 - 12:54 PM

:?:
just thought id reply im still new to this board
ive seen a new pdoc this week and he to prescribed antipsychotic
meds along with AD meds
he explained as others have they can be used to treat other effects of depression
i freaked a bit at first as i know im depressed
but im on them for anxiety

keep on battlin

regards

jase xxxx[/img]

#13 andy123

andy123
  • Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 01 January 2005 - 01:46 AM

i'm currently on zyprexa and prozac combination that works great. Except for massive weight gain which causes a lot of problems. please post if anyone has had similar problem and what they have done about it.

#14 Bacchus

Bacchus
  • Members
  • 2,396 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 January 2005 - 12:05 AM

Andy,
I was on Zyprexa for a short time, but I had to switch to another anti-psychotic because it made me too sleepy. Now I take the maximum dose of the anti-psychotic Geodon.

At first I put on A LOT of weight, about thirty pounds in two to three months. I kept track of when I was getting hungry because I was ending up binging since I felt hungry enough to gnaw my arm off. It appeared that eight hours after I took the Geodon, I'd feel like I was starving. I had been taking it at noon since it was to be taken with food, so I switched to taking it at 5-6pm.

I lost ten pounds almost immediately, and it wasn't too hard, but it did require some effort, to lose the other twenty. Ask your doctor. I know that the instructions for my medication say to take it twice per day, but my doctor said that I could take it once per day, and since then I've taken the full amount in the evening. It's really made a difference. The time I'd be unable to control my hunger is now time when I sleep through it.

I hope you find something that works for you. I know that I have to take the anti-psychotic, but it was good for me to find a way in which I could do so without putting on more weight every month.
Bacchus

#15 tompound

tompound
  • Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 03 January 2005 - 04:13 AM

I'm on stelazine (trifluperazine). I too freaked at first because it's commonly used as an anti psychotic and they told me I was'nt psychotic.
I'm only on 5mg which is a pretty low dose, they usually use up to 30mg for szcizophrenia (sp?). Not to say that if you are on that dose you have to have szcizophrenia, like others have said they sometimes use drugs normally used to treat one illness to treat another.

#16 k2.

k2.
  • Members
  • 1,711 posts

Posted 04 January 2005 - 03:21 AM

I put on about four or five stone with antipsychotic meds.

When i stopped olanzapine/zyprexa i lost a stone immediately.

Well I am diagnosed as schizophrenic apparently... when i was last at the pdoc she upped my AP's rather than my AD's. I think now its because they are treating the depression as a negative symptom of the sz, rather than an illness in its own right.

They are never interested in my depression, only the psychotic stuff.

#17 drublick

drublick
  • Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 09 March 2005 - 01:50 AM

I've been on seroquel for about 4 years now. its the only thing that has worked. Most anti-psycotics in high doses can be used as a mood stabilizer, however from what i understand it is not used for the depression end of things.
personally, I believe that it helps if you have imparmens in you cognitive thinking patterns. if you tend towards anxiety, and worrying abut things, and antipsychotic could help you see things "more logically"
personally, I have only taken seroquel for many years, and it is THE ONLY THING that has worked so far.

#18 Nevek

Nevek
  • Members
  • 460 posts
  • Interests:None at the moment...

Posted 09 March 2005 - 11:36 PM

yeah, same here...I was put on Seroquel and Remeron and also Adderall and something else in the hospital. They Pdoc in there explained that meds can supplement one-another. I freaked cuz of the AP lable of Seroquel, but found that it did work for the symptoms at the time. My Pdoc I see now, says that the AP's are sometimes used when persons don't respond to AD's & /or / also when fast relief is needed. I had to get off Seroquel cuz it knocked me out Soooo bad.

Anyways...

Nevek

#19 drublick

drublick
  • Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 13 March 2005 - 12:01 AM

I was originally put on seroquel for my insomnia. Only take it at night, it will make your brain turn off.

#20 Nevek

Nevek
  • Members
  • 460 posts
  • Interests:None at the moment...

Posted 13 March 2005 - 12:55 AM

Yeah, I am proof of that fo' shizzle.
...Seroquel will turn off your brain....

They (Hospital) had me on 800mg's at night. Talk about SLEEP. I swear, I have never had such a sound sleep. When I got out, it was 600mg at night, and 200mg in the moring. I couldn't function though. So I am glad I dropped it. I do sort of miss the soundness of the sleep.

Now, I am on Trileptal at night - I guess it helps, but nowhere as near as what Seroquel did.

Nevek