antipsychotic as an anti depressant

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#21 k2.

k2.
  • Members
  • 1,711 posts

Posted 13 March 2005 - 02:33 AM

seroquel is only licensed for up to a maximum of 700mg - no psychiatrist worth his salt would OD you on seroquel like that, especially not as a sleeping pill.

I would make a complaint about that cos even at the higher end of the recommended doses it could have serious ramifications for your liver, it could also cause the onset of diabetes and other illnesses too.

Seroquel doesnt have mood stabilising properties, tho it does have anti depressant properties. Zyprexa is used as a mood stabiliser in some cases of manic depression, especially where the person experiences delusions.

#22 Nevek

Nevek
  • Members
  • 460 posts
  • Interests:None at the moment...

Posted 13 March 2005 - 12:18 PM

I may have been wrong in my post. I was pretty out of it in the hospital. I believe it was 600mg at night and 200mg in the morning while in there.

I really have no idea why my Pdoc has me on Trileptal. I am not manic, nor have I ever been. Unless this is still yet to discover.

Yeah, I've been all over the net about every drug. It's known that Seroquel can induce diabeties (sp?) - Another reason why I wanted to drop it.

During the autumn of 2004, I was staying with my parents, I just remember taking my meds at about 8:30pm or 9:00pm - then 1/2 hr later - knocked right the F* out.

I just enjoy my sleep, as it seems that is the only time my brain gets a rest - if any. I sleep now, but wake with anxiety and the thought "It's still here" , depression that is.

It's hard to function, but I have to. I have a mortgage to pay for, and bills like everyone else. I guess I need to follow my own advice and keep on keepin' on.

Take care k2

Nevek

#23 Hangingon

Hangingon

Resident nerd & geeky person

• Root Admin
  • 21,583 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 13 March 2005 - 04:19 PM

Seroquel is actually approved for doses up to 800 mg a day now. The safety of doses above 800 mg/day has not been evaluated in clinical trials.

In Jan of 2004 it was approved for the short- term treatment of acute manic episodes associated with bipolar I disorder. Studies show that Seroquel works across a broad range of mood symptoms as evidenced by improvement in key measures of symptoms associated with bipolar mania.

Studies showed Seroquel to be well-tolerated and effective in the treatment of manic episodes - excited mental states seen in bipolar disorder that are characterized by impulsive behavior, racing thoughts, pressured speech, and decreased need for sleep.

Seroquel also has shown promise in reducing the agitation, hostility and aggression sometimes associated with manic episodes.

:?