Shirodhara~ayurveda

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Jenna

Jenna
  • Members
  • 550 posts

Posted 17 December 2007 - 04:58 PM

has anyone tried this treatment for depression?

#2 kewy13

kewy13
  • Members
  • 3,119 posts
  • Flag:
  • Interests:used to be hiking, packing, skiing, anything outdoors. am woking back toward that as i get healthier.

i attend buddhist meditation at a temple nearby.

yoga, bicycling, kayaking, camping, exfoliating, making jewelry, being outdoors.

Posted 20 December 2007 - 07:35 AM

i'll have to do some checking on what it even is! i havnt heard of it.

#3 Jenna

Jenna
  • Members
  • 550 posts

Posted 22 December 2007 - 04:44 AM

Shirodhara
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Shirodhara is a form of Ayurveda medicine that involves gently flowing liquids over the forehead (the 'third eye'). It was developed by vaidyas (practitionars of Ayurveda) in Kerala, India for use in sukhachikitsa (restorative therapy) and can be one of the steps involved in Panchakarma. The name comes from the Sanskrit words shiras 'head' and dhara 'flow'. The liquids used in shirodhara depend on what is being treated, but can include oil, milk, buttermilk, coconut water, or even plain water.

Shirodhara has been used in efforts to treat a variety of conditions including eye diseases, sinusitis, allergic rhinitis, greying of hair, neurological disorders, memory loss, insomnia, hearing impairment, tinnitus, vertigo, Ménière's disease and certain types of skin diseases like psoriasis. It is also used non-medicinally at spas for its relaxing properties.

#4 belight232

belight232
  • Members
  • 270 posts

Posted 09 July 2008 - 07:04 PM

That sounds really interesting! I would totally try it if I could find someone who offers it!