6 replies to this topic

#1 black star

black star
  • Members
  • 172 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 18 February 2008 - 07:28 PM

Hey, all...

I haven't been around here much as my 8 1/2 month old boy keeps me pretty busy. But I have a concern that I thought I'd ask about here.

I am currently taking 50 mg. of Zoloft for post partum depression/anxiety and I can't believe how dry my mouth is the majority of the time. I nurse my baby so I am constantly drinking water to keep my milk supply up, but even while I have a mouth full of water it still feels soooo dry. On top of that, my lips are extremely chapped and the corners of my mouth are cracked. And boy, does it smart when I eat spicy food!

Looking back, I now realize I had the exact same symptoms while I was on Lexapro (before I became pregnant). Is there anything I can do to relieve these symptoms? Sometimes it's quite irritatting (but, mostly just uncomfortable) - especially right after brushing my teeth. Will the dry mouth get worse if I increase my dosage?

Any responses would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,
black star

#2 FuzzyFuture

FuzzyFuture
  • Members
  • 1,469 posts

Posted 17 June 2008 - 03:19 AM

maybe one of the "dry mouth" products, such as Biotene would help. Someone (not sure if it's Biotene even has a gel you put inside your mouth I think.

Sucking on a hard candy might work too?

FF

#3 sycamore

sycamore
  • Members
  • 1,175 posts
  • Interests:adventure

Posted 17 June 2008 - 06:16 PM

((((((((Black Star))))))))..... I have found that chewing some 'mint' gum helps alot. Do you use "Carmex" or something simular on your lips on a regular basis? Applying Carmex or other medicated lip balm (not Chapstick) espcially at night, I found, does wonders for your lips. Warm Wishes, Sycamore.

#4 winter

winter
  • Members
  • 1,216 posts
  • Flag:
  • Interests:i like people to send me money.
    I know this will never happen
    but i figured it was worth a try

Posted 30 September 2008 - 10:40 PM

mint tea. even gargle with mint tea. drink plenty of water. suck on hard sweets. Suck on parsley.

opal fruits made to make your mouth water, ogh bugger starburst they are called starburst.

#5 NJCat

NJCat
  • Members
  • 3,120 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 10 November 2008 - 03:53 AM

I have the same problem and they are all very good suggestions.

If you do buy hard candies, maybe buy the sugarless so your teeth don't suffer the consequences! But I do find that chewing gum (which I normally do not do) ... and hard candies are KEY .... it gets embarassing when my mouth is so dry, and I'm not quite sure what my lips look like .... the lipstick just doesn't stay put the same on extremely dry lips.

Hey how long have you been taking the med? If you started recently, alot of times these side effects pass ..... let's hope for that! :)

#6 Sunshineinmyface

Sunshineinmyface

Wiki Queen

• Members
  • 10,092 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 10 November 2008 - 02:24 PM

Oral balance "The Saliva Substitute for long lasting dry mouth relief. Mouth moisturizing gel." Under the name Biotene. Made by Laclede, Inc. Rancho Dominguez, CA 90220 phone: 1-800-922-5856 website: www.laclede.com I have not tried the phone number or website for a long time, so hope they are still active. Should be available at local drug stores. Yep just checked website, it is valid and mentions the distributors it uses world wide. They make mouth moisturizing: gel, liquid, toothpaste, mouthwash, etc. Lots of information on the website.

#7 winter

winter
  • Members
  • 1,216 posts
  • Flag:
  • Interests:i like people to send me money.
    I know this will never happen
    but i figured it was worth a try

Posted 11 June 2010 - 02:39 AM

sorry off topic but backstar that baby is so cuteeeeeee :kiss: