Wonder Combo Seems To Be Working For Me

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Elle

Elle
  • Members
  • 152 posts

Posted 24 December 2006 - 04:45 PM

After 8 years of trial and error, I have landed on a med combo that works for me. My Pdoc says recent studies have shown that a combination of Wellbutrin and Remeron (Mirtazapine) work far better than either drug separately. He described it as 2 plus 2 equals 5.

My history in a nutshell. Self-diagnised in late 1997 (suffered on and off for 20 some years prior). Tried St. John's Wort for 3 months, no help.

Next was Prozac, which I flunked out of after 9 days because it made me feel physically ill and more depressed.

Early 1998 found me on Paxil. Had first and only manic episode that lasted several months. Ended my failed 15 year marriage during that time, was highly creative and energized (up cleaning my house at 4 a.m.). Crashed after months of not sleeping. Took a year to pay off the $20 grand I ran up buying things.

Over the next couple of years I tried Wellbutrin (pre-extended-release) which made me queasy, Effexor (night terrors and sweats plus a rough discontinuation). Zoloft which took me from sad to suicidal in just 3 days. I used Paxil intermittently, which oddly didn't make me manic again but did cause other side effects (sleeplessness, irregularity, loss of libido).

Had a major situational crisis in 2001 (man I loved curb-stomped my heart). Tried Serzone and Lamictal to no avail. Turned the corner on Remeron (as much as 90 mg!) which I stayed on for a year. Felt better, decided to stop taking it.

Typically, I started sinking again. Last year I did a trial of Lexapro, which made me feel like a zombie at 10 mg. Tried Remeron again but had a different reaction than the first time -- it also made me feel exhausted and also insatiably hungry. Took another med break.

This year I gave Wellbutrin another go. I tolerated the extended release and sort of liked the appetite-curbing effect, but my sleep became fitfull.

Then my Pdoc suggested adding the Remeron back in. The sedative effect of the Remeron offsets the sleeplessness effect of the Wellbutrin. And the appetite-curbing effect of the Wellbutrin offsets the hunger effect of the Remeron.

And I have been feeling quite well. I take 1 mg. of Ativan (Lorazepam) with 300 mg. of Wellbutrin XL in the morning and 30 mg. of Remeron in the evening.

To be fair, life has been very good to me of late. But I am definitely feeling more stable on the meds. I think one of the worst feelings is to have many good things happen and still be battling biochemical depression.

Kudos to anyone who read this long post. I actually left out some of the meds I took while on the med-merry-go-round (Trazadone, Ambien, Sonata, Neurontin, Celexa, Seroquel, and possibly others I have forgotten). In fact, the list of meds I didn't try is probably shorter than the list of meds I tried.

The moral of this story is, don't give up. Keep trying, keep hoping, keep believing you can find a treatment that works and you can get well.

Joyful holidays and a happy new year,

Elle

#2 forestfairy

forestfairy
  • Members
  • 1,784 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 24 December 2006 - 10:49 PM

In fact, the list of meds I didn't try is probably shorter than the list of meds I tried.

The moral of this story is, don't give up. Keep trying, keep hoping, keep believing you can find a treatment that works and you can get well.

Hi Elle,

I have also tried more meds than I haven't tried and also battled for years to find the right drug.
I agree with your words that people mustn't give up.

So glad you shared this with us. Thanks