Photo

Peer pressure

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Polliana

Polliana
  • Members
  • 40 posts
  • Interests:Reading & Poetry, Becoming happy again. Yay.

Posted 19 June 2007 - 01:01 AM

My friends at school always put pressure on me to go into lunch. I know that it's thoughtful of them and they only do it because they care but I find it a lot harder to manage school when I know what's going to happen at lunchtime. I have to go into a huge hall with hundreds of girls who are thinner than me. They watch me to see whether I eat and I can't eat in front of people. Whenever I am eating there I feel so greedy and fat and I spend te rest of the day crying about how greedy and bloated I am. I feel disgusting. I know it's only because they care but it makes me feel worse and I can't help wishing they would leave me alone for once.

Sorry if this sounds cliched. I can never make posts without using a few of them.

#2 kewy13

kewy13
  • Members
  • 3,119 posts
  • Flag:
  • Interests:used to be hiking, packing, skiing, anything outdoors. am woking back toward that as i get healthier.

i attend buddhist meditation at a temple nearby.

yoga, bicycling, kayaking, camping, exfoliating, making jewelry, being outdoors.

Posted 20 June 2007 - 07:41 AM

it is so hard dealing with self image in school. i am very lucky with my 17 yr old daughter, she has not inherited or absorbed any of my issues, so she is remarkably well adjusted. but she has friends who are depressed, some on and some not on meds. and i hear of how stressful it can be. i know it was a very painful time in my life, being a teenager. i am sorry it is hard for you too.

in your post, you mentioned that you had mild anorexia. do you see others as thinner than you no matter what size you are, perhaps exaggerating (?sp) your view of yourself, or do you happen to not fit into the media stereotype of perfect and be plus a couple of pounds? (i am on the plus more than a couple of pounds) also, are you still in school now? i am from the u.s. and we are out for the summer in my state. if you are in school, is there a counselor you can talk to? that might help. and i'm sure you've heard it before, but every single girl there is thinking the same thing about themselves. some just bury it deep, and it surfaces later in life.

i think it is good that you have friends who do want to be with you, and want you to join them. and it is good that you see that their doing it is because they care. they love you. as you are. whatever size or shape you are. they accept you. i wish we all could treat ourselves like our friends treat us and we treat our friends. you deserve it!

xoxo
kewy

#3 Polliana

Polliana
  • Members
  • 40 posts
  • Interests:Reading & Poetry, Becoming happy again. Yay.

Posted 20 June 2007 - 06:36 PM

Thanks for replying.

I live in the UK and my school is not on holiday for about two weeks. We have an eight week holiday though so that makes up for it.
I am literally fat. I am incredibly flabby. They try to tell me I'm thin but they are probably just being nice or feel sorry for me because I am bigger than they are.

#4 kewy13

kewy13
  • Members
  • 3,119 posts
  • Flag:
  • Interests:used to be hiking, packing, skiing, anything outdoors. am woking back toward that as i get healthier.

i attend buddhist meditation at a temple nearby.

yoga, bicycling, kayaking, camping, exfoliating, making jewelry, being outdoors.

Posted 23 June 2007 - 01:29 AM

i am sorry. i can relate to not wanting to be around others while eating if youre over weight. i am losing, but am still about 65 lb over weight. so i dont like people judging my food choices either. i hope it gets better soon.

kewy