Online therapy

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 ladymindful

ladymindful
  • Members
  • 2 posts
  • Flag:
  • Interests:Music, dancing (before), reading, walking (before), twitter & facebook. Animal rights, especially wolves. Watching tv show I missed via Netflix & Amazon.

Posted 13 June 2014 - 02:17 PM

Has anyone tried online therapy? I've thought about doing that because right now I don't have a car and I'm limited in my access to outside help. They do via video like Skype. Let me know. Thanks.

#2 hidden

hidden
  • Members
  • 6 posts
  • Flag:
  • Interests:Writing, poetry, laughter, nature, being bonkers, inventing fun and jolly swear words. being honest.

Posted 15 June 2014 - 10:02 PM

Most days on my facebook wall if that counts. But no, i haven't heard of such things. But then it was only the other day i found out what Skype was

#3 Bacchus

Bacchus
  • Members
  • 2,396 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 28 June 2014 - 07:10 PM

ladymindful,

I tried it before I got up the nerve to actually put my butt on a sofa in a therapist's office.

BE VERY CAREFUL!  I discovered that there are a lot of pretty ODD people presenting themselves as "therapists."  When I tried it was over 10 years ago, and perhaps there's better regulation of the field now, but at the time it seemed that virtually any qualifications could enable one to offer "therapy."  It was certainly "buyer beware."

I did work with one woman who was qualified and helpful, but perhaps her greatest help was to tell me that online was not the appropriate venue for me.

If you need someone to vent to, you may find it helpful.  But please be careful!  I'd advise checking out the person's qualifications quite carefully.  If they also have an regular practice, you may be able to find out information at healthgrades.

Good luck!

Bacchus

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Online therapy