I needed this like I needed a hole in the head

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 tristesse

tristesse
  • Members
  • 58 posts

Posted 24 January 2006 - 01:34 PM

I've been in a horrible state all week...because I did a collossally stupid thing and didn't even realize at the time that it was a stupid thing. I got fired last Tuesday. I had told a co-worker (who I'd considered my friend, someone who had griped with me often about that place) that I'd just had my third interview, that it went well, and that if I got the job I probably would give one week's notice rather than two. Well, she went right to the owner and told him this, and I was fired for it. I was speechless - still am. I've never been stabbed in the back like that in my entire life. I guess I've always been lucky as far as co-workers go (and of course now I completely understand what a stupid, stupid thing I did), but I've always been able to confide in my co-workers...like when I was at my last job, I talked to my co-workers about EVERYTHING, including my interviews for this job - and never gave it a second thought. They talked to me about everything as well, and we were friends. I thought this was the same kind of relationship. What a crappy way to learn a lesson. I suppose that's one of those things that other people would just think was common sense...and it honestly never occurred to me not to open my mouth, so of course I feel like a major idiot. I've been depressed and I wasn't happy there (partially because of my depression and partially because it's just not the best environment and the job ended up being a terrible fit - and also because the commute is 1.5 hours each way), but of course I'd always assumed I'd leave of my own volition. I've never been fired before. It doesn't feel so great. (understatement of the year)

My third interview with the firm that's 22 minutes away went really well, but the interview was last Monday, so it's been over a week now, which makes me worry a LOT. I left the woman a voice mail message this morning. I walked out of all three interviews feeling like I'd totally nailed them, and I figured the job offer was a foregone conclusion. Now that it's been over a week, I'm starting to worry that I was wrong. There were no other applicants - they didn't even officially have an open position - I knew someone who works there, and I gave him my resume, which happens to fit with the needs of where they want the firm to go (as in, my presence would free up their current person to be making sales calls instead of being tied to the office), so it's not like they're choosing between me and someone else. They were genuinely pleased that my resume had fallen into their hands, and they contacted me once they'd received it.

Wow am I an idiot. Brilliant.