Thanks!

#2 Sunshineinmyface

Sunshineinmyface

Wiki Queen

• Members
  • 10,092 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 26 September 2005 - 10:59 AM

Yeh I tried three...lithium from 18 to 21 and pdoc finally convinced me to get off as it affects liver and have to check every six mons the yearly and no damage, but he said it was a placebo.. He was right. off meds for many months the start with depress meds.......then at approx25-26 developed anxiety...pdoc suggested antianxiety.

If you want to try mood stabilizers....but make sure pdoc perscribes not therapist with out Medical Degree. Could ask for company side effect print out.....very nifty if you read enough eyes will need bifocals the writing is soo small on very thin paper.

P doc I just left had me try 2 more mood stabilizers, which were previously convulsive meds so given to people for long time and thus good evidence of side effects.....one had none to organs, but had a conversly impact on mind and had to get off quickly....3rd was suppose to affect some organ...kidneys or something and shortly did not affect organs but adversely affected mind and mood down ward and had to get off.

Back to pdoc I saw at 18-19 yr old.

NO mood stabilizer just adjustment in psych ward dr's meds one down 1/2, 2 up - trazadone for sleep up and biprfinate - genaric name or something up one tab to 3 each day- separte if poss.

Hugs

Sunshine

#3 Hangingon

Hangingon

Resident nerd & geeky person

• Root Admin
  • 21,583 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 26 September 2005 - 12:47 PM

Yeah,

I am on 750 mg a day of Epival (divalproex sodium). Works great for me and this is the best and most stable I have ever felt in my life in all honesty...

Any questions, please feel free to ask me, OK? Always here for you

Love

Sheila

#4 rubenoid

rubenoid
  • Members
  • 3,291 posts

Posted 26 September 2005 - 04:44 PM

I take Lamictal (lamotrigine) and it is the only thing that makes me remotely tolerable. Actually, it makes me quite tolerable and it's the only psych med that has really helped me.

Lamictal was originally indicated as an anti-seizure medication. Lots of anti-seizure medications are used as mood stabilizers, including Sheila's divalproex sodium (called Depakote here in the states).

#5 scully29

scully29
  • Members
  • 1,212 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 26 September 2005 - 04:53 PM

Thanks guys! They are thinking about putting me on one because my moods very a lot and I start to lose control. It sounds like it might be helpful.

#6 verysadcat

verysadcat
  • Members
  • 4,181 posts
  • Flag:
  • Interests:none. I hate everything.

Posted 26 September 2005 - 07:05 PM

be warned, Depakote will make you fat if you even look at food!

and with Lamictal there is a scary rash thing associated with it (which of course I got).

I take 2400 mg of Trileptal now. I think it was an anti-seizure med first, too. it helps with my manic attacks but still doesn't do jack for the deep dark depressions.

all the pharmacists in town know me by name. isn't that sad?

:roll:
Di

#7 rubenoid

rubenoid
  • Members
  • 3,291 posts

Posted 27 September 2005 - 12:48 PM

The occurrence of the rash thing with Lamictal is rare. Something like one in a million get it ... of course, that means something we already know - that Di is one in a million!
:wink:

The good thing about mood stabilizers - if you need one - is that they usually start to "work" faster than anti-depressants, which can take 6 weeks or so to start working (if they work at all!). You could notice a difference with a mood stabilizer within a week.

I've taken a gamut of mood stabilizers - Trileptal, Depakote, lithium, in addition to Lamictal. Lamictal works for me, Depakote works for Sheila, and Trileptal works for Di ... everybody responds to each one differently, and they are worth investigating if one of your primary symptoms is mood swings.