29 replies to this topic

#1 Bigfoot

Bigfoot
  • Members
  • 48 posts
  • Flag:
  • Interests:Web design and development

Posted 06 January 2012 - 02:53 AM

Do you wish everyone a Merry Christmas? Do you recite the pledge of allegence even though it has "Under God" in it? When someone sneezes do you say "God bless you? Do you believe everyone has the right to pray in public or to display thier beliefs in public? If you said yes to any of these you can consider yourself politically incorrect!
I may not go to church, but I do believe in God. I don't have a problem with people going to church or where ever they go to pray or do whatever their religion requires. It's called religious freedom!!
I feel that being politically incorrect has nothing to do with being racist or frowning upon someone for having different ideas or beliefs than I have. It opens the door for spirited debate! I have the right to voice my opinion as well as everyone else. I don't want the government or special interest groups telling me what I can or can't say.

#2 KylieJane

KylieJane
  • Members
  • 1,017 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 09 January 2012 - 11:14 PM

Are you politically incorrect?

Yes, very much so. I'm involved with (and in love with) a man that my family tells me I should hate for political reasons.
I know that's not what you were talking about, but I had to post this somewhere.
I feel so conflicted. I've been listening to "Torn" by Natalie Imbruglia all morning.
P.S. I prefer to say "Happy Holidays." The word "merry" is just too corny for me.

#3 Silently

Silently
  • Members
  • 153 posts
  • Flag:
  • Interests:painting, art, drinking (TOO MUCH), sleeping, night driving, shopping, is crying an interest?

Posted 09 January 2012 - 11:32 PM

I'm pretty politically incorrect. The media, the government and the PC obsessed people just likes to cover all the bases and try not to offend people. But in my opinion it is the people who are offended who give the words that offend them the meaning and importance necessary to do so.

Its all just an evolution of society. It's like, when "retard" and "cripple" were perfectly normal words of description. Now if you use one of those in a serious context instead of "disabled" or "handicapped" your looked at like a demon. It's just a group of letters people! The meaning, and thus the outrage/offense is a fabricated human social construct most people are too stupid or afraid to see past.

I think the funniest juxtaposition is found in shows based on society 100ish years ago. We like to think of people back then as moral, religious and simple, but its way worse now. Like in Deadwood (one of my fav shows of all time) theyd use "fuck" and "cocksucker" in practically every sentence. And it was perfectly okay to drink whiskey every day, gamble and pay for prostitutes all in the same building. Now stuff like that is considered outlandish.

Edited by Silently, 10 January 2012 - 05:00 AM.

#4 Bigfoot

Bigfoot
  • Members
  • 48 posts
  • Flag:
  • Interests:Web design and development

Posted 12 January 2012 - 09:34 PM

It is amazing how people can hate someone because they have different views! I've known many people that are that way and they changed their opinion of me because I would laugh at them for things they would say. I don't hate people because they don't agree with my ideas. People having their own thoughts on subjects is what makes this world so great. There is always an exchange of ideas going on and that can and does lead to great things.
When it comes to how people refer to others, I prefer to call myself disabled, not crippled. I know many people with varying degrees of mental retardation and they don't like being called, or refered as, a retard. It is a disability just like depression is. I won't stop someone from using cripple or retard, but I do ask if they would like it if people called them those names. You never know who you might be talking to. If I say Merry Christmas or wish someone a Happy Easter and they don't celebrate them, thats fine by me. I do have friends that are of many different religions that are not Christian and they don't have a problem wishing me Merry Christmas or offended if I say it to them. It's an expression of my religious belief and if someone doesn't like it, keep walking!

#5 winter

winter
  • Members
  • 1,216 posts
  • Flag:
  • Interests:i like people to send me money.
    I know this will never happen
    but i figured it was worth a try

Posted 18 January 2012 - 12:20 AM

i bloody hope so

#6 Ed the chow hound

Ed the chow hound
  • Members
  • 6,338 posts
  • Flag:
  • Interests:depression support, food, friends, dogs, astrology, physics, cosmology, history,

Posted 20 January 2012 - 02:10 PM

Guys,

All forms of group think are potentially dangerous. Beware of ISMS of all kinds. Free thought and free speech are essential to democracy

#7 winter

winter
  • Members
  • 1,216 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 20 January 2012 - 11:59 PM

Or my dear ed if i or you were PC then to say guys would be very un PC when women are here as well. Meaning you would have to say Guys and Girls. which could then be turned into ladies and gentlemen.

by the way what is an ISMS when its out?

Runs away laughing and falls in a hole. :biggrin:

#8 Ed the chow hound

Ed the chow hound
  • Members
  • 6,338 posts
  • Flag:
  • Interests:depression support, food, friends, dogs, astrology, physics, cosmology, history,

Posted 22 January 2012 - 08:00 AM

Winter,

you are often a bright sun in a dark sky here at at BTB. I am a REBEL against stuffyness and pointless convention. ISMS are doctrines telling others how to live their lives, there are political isms, economcs isms, religious isms, social isms, if you dont accept them some people say you are BAD.

Examples communism, globalism, feminism,marxism, liberalism, nazism fascism ect.

hugs,

Ed the chow hound

Edited by Ed the chow hound, 22 January 2012 - 08:08 AM.

#9 ControlIsSlippingAway

ControlIsSlippingAway
  • Members
  • 684 posts
  • Flag:
  • Interests:Music

Posted 22 January 2012 - 02:55 PM

In My opinion; all -isms would be completely pointless if everybody could stop acting like a-holes.

People today find it hard to be nice and help each other. What a downward spiral society we live in, sigh.

#10 Ed the chow hound

Ed the chow hound
  • Members
  • 6,338 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 23 January 2012 - 12:15 PM

Control,

we need to love ourselves and love others equally, like at BTB.

hugs

Ed the chow hound

#11 winter

winter
  • Members
  • 1,216 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 23 January 2012 - 10:28 PM

And theres me thinking ISMS were something to do with texting :biggrin:

Oh what it wasnt that long ago i thought a Jpeg with some sort of climbing equipment.....

Sometimes stupidity can bring hours of fun.

as to quote a mate of mine. 'political correctness. Wheres the fun in that?.

#12 ControlIsSlippingAway

ControlIsSlippingAway
  • Members
  • 684 posts
  • Flag:
  • Interests:Music

Posted 24 January 2012 - 10:30 PM

^ Haha! There is iSMS (or iMessage) on iPhones, so you aren't wrong! I'm not a climber, but I agree about the Jpeg :lol:

Control,

we need to love ourselves and love others equally, like at BTB.

hugs

Ed the chow hound

I sort of lost all hope of finding good people... Besides from my love.

Maybe I will grow out of it.... I hope so!

Hugs

Edited by ControlIsSlippingAway, 24 January 2012 - 10:31 PM.

#13 Ed the chow hound

Ed the chow hound
  • Members
  • 6,338 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 25 January 2012 - 05:37 AM

Control,

There are good people out there but finding them is the hard part, I dont have many friends myself.

hugs

Ed the chow hound

#14 winter

winter
  • Members
  • 1,216 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 29 January 2012 - 12:50 AM

i feel like that as well mr Ed (hangon isnt nr ed a talking 'orse?)...sorry where was i oh yeah, get your self one of the dart guns. so you can drug people into liking you. In fact i have gerald butler chained up in my cellar pumped full of happy pills. :biggrin:

#15 Ed the chow hound

Ed the chow hound
  • Members
  • 6,338 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 29 January 2012 - 05:03 AM

Winter,

I spent my working life on a television station and remember Mr. Ed well, gee that is going back around fifty years or so HE lived with a guy called Wilbur who had a cute wife whose name I forget. I got a toy dog on my computer console he is the original Ed the chow hound.

Inside of of every witch is a fairy princess who is her twin sister, principle of duality.

hugs

Ed the chow hound

Edited by Ed the chow hound, 29 January 2012 - 05:07 AM.

#16 winter

winter
  • Members
  • 1,216 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 10 February 2012 - 12:43 AM

Inside of of every witch is a fairy princess who is her twin sister, principle of duality.

in my world fairy princesses are evil little bastards and would shop their own grandmother if it meant getting at least a bowl of fresh cream. so much so even my grandad would warn me not to go anywhere near that old oak in the woods.

#17 Ed the chow hound

Ed the chow hound
  • Members
  • 6,338 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 10 February 2012 - 08:29 AM

Winter,

What is good but the reverse side of evil, I find it hard to tell the difference sometimes the two are so tightly interwoven. Do you practice the craft or is the witch identity just your signature? Twenty years ago I had a lot of friends in the Wiccan community but I left them behind when I retired and moved interstate.

hugs

Ed the chow hound

Edited by Ed the chow hound, 10 February 2012 - 08:39 AM.

#18 drgnfly

drgnfly
  • Members
  • 901 posts
  • Flag:
  • Interests:Art, Books, Sleeping

Posted 15 February 2012 - 03:13 AM

Now I have 'A horse is a horse of course of course' stuck in my head...

#19 Ed the chow hound

Ed the chow hound
  • Members
  • 6,338 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 20 February 2012 - 02:54 PM

Drgnfly,

people will yackety hack and waste your time of day but Mr. Ed will never speak unless he has something to say, shades of 1960 television show. I spent my working life on a television station.

love ya

Ed the chow hound

#20 blue282

blue282
  • Members
  • 60 posts
  • Flag:
  • Interests:Model airplanes, outdoors, motorcycles

Posted 21 February 2012 - 02:25 AM

I remember watching re-runs of that in the early 90s. Don't ask me which channel but it was on early in the morning before school.

To answer the original question I am politically incorrect. In fact I believe political correctness has got to the point now where it borders on insanity. I like to call it "offendophobia", the paranoid fear of offending someone, when in reality it won't offend them at all 99.99% of the time. You now have Christmas and Easter celebrations being taken out of some schools because it may cause offence to other religions. So a government body is telling the majority of the population (64% of Australians are Christians) that their right to celebrate these holidays has been taken away from them just in case that one-in-a-million hypersensitive person takes offence to it. If you ask me, the government has no business telling its citizens what they can and can't celebrate. From where I come from that is NOT liberal democracy, it is dictatorship.