Depakote

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 rubenoid

rubenoid
  • Members
  • 3,291 posts

Posted 09 September 2003 - 01:49 AM

I started taking Depakote today to help alleviate some of my recent manic symptoms. I'm encouraged to finally be back on a mood stabilizer since I've gone so long without one. Any words of wisdom to share with this divalproex sodium newbie?

#2 Kaktus

Kaktus
  • Members
  • 4,793 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 09 September 2003 - 08:21 PM

I gained lots of weight really REALLY fast on Depakote. I guess I'm just saying don't have that second donut if you can help it.

#3 Bacchus

Bacchus
  • Members
  • 2,395 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 09 September 2003 - 09:16 PM

Rueben,

I'm so glad you're back on something! I've been worried about you.

I've been taking Depakote for two years now, and I did put on about ten pounds probably because of it or so the shrink says. I also developed a slight hand tremor--it's funny to hear the paper rattle when I try to hold a newspaper open. I've discovered that reading a newspaper is something best done from the coffee shop table. Other than that, it's really helped me. I was basically dead before I started taking it, was spacing out all the time, and when that was added to the mix the periods of spacing out went way down.
Bacchus

#4 themroosters

themroosters
  • Members
  • 41 posts
  • Interests:I like to work with wood and use to tinker in electronics until<br />everything got so darn small!<br />Now I help people,first I worked with the elderly for a number<br />of years; now I work with mentally challenged people.<br />I also enjoy photograghy and working with old pictures

Posted 14 January 2007 - 06:27 AM

Dep. has helped me too, some tremors but at least I'm working.